Colchester 0 - 1 Bournemouth
Brett Pitman scored for the fourth successive game as Bournemouth came away from Colchester with three points to move second in League One.
The Jersey-born striker's first-time shot from Matt Ritchie's low cross sealed the win and handed him his 10th goal in 13 games.
Marc Pugh could have doubled the lead before half-time but his header was deflected onto the post.
Harry Arter had two second-half chances for the Cherries but failed to score.
VIEWS FROM THE DRESSING ROOM
Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe told BBC Radio Solent:
"I actually thought it was one of our best performances of the season. We dominated possession on a difficult surface and we created numerous chances.
"We probably weren't clinical enough with them, and that's probably the only criticism of the day, but the lads were excellent today.
"I feel we're developing as a team all the time. This isn't an easy place to come. Colchester have got some good players but we looked by far the most dominant side.
"Defensively, the back four have been very good, our goalkeeper's been good and they've been well protected in front of them. We're going to need keep clean sheets to be a successful team."
Live text and stats
Friday, 29 March 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 44 Walker
- 03 Garmston (White 64 yellow card)
- 04 Okuonghae
- 20 Wilson
- 40 Thompson
- 41 Clifford
- 14 Bond
- 09 Morrison (Smith 73)
- 17 Ibehre
- 21 Massey
- 33 Compton (Wright 71)
- 01 Cousins,
- 02 Wright,
- 25 White,
- 15 Bean,
- 30 Wright,
- 12 Hewitt,
- 22 Smith
- 21 Allsop
- 02 Francis
- 03 Cook
- 13 Elphick
- 07 Pugh (Hughes 90+2)
- 08 Arter
- 11 Daniels
- 30 Ritchie
- 32 O'Kane yellow card (MacDonald 28)
- 22 Grabban (Tubbs 87)
- 40 Pitman
- 01 Jalal,
- 05 Seaborne,
- 12 Fogden,
- 16 MacDonald,
- 17 McQuoid,
- 26 Hughes,
- 18 Tubbs
- Colchester 48%
- Bournemouth 52%
Attempts on target
- Colchester 3
- Bournemouth 10
Attempts off target
- Colchester 6
- Bournemouth 4
- Colchester 7
- Bournemouth 5
- Colchester 5
- Bournemouth 5
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+7:21 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+7:11 Free kick awarded for a foul by Matt Ritchie on John White. Sam Walker restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+6:30 Booking John White shown a yellow card.
- 90:00+6:15 Free kick awarded for a foul by John White on Harry Arter. Matt Ritchie takes the free kick.
- 90:00+2:16 Outswinging corner taken by Billy Clifford from the right by-line, Headed effort from inside the area by Magnus Okuonghae misses to the right of the goal.
- 90:00+1:14 Substitution Marc Pugh leaves the field to be replaced by Richard Hughes.
- Correction - 89:21 Corner taken right-footed by Marc Pugh from the left by-line, Shot on goal by Gavin Massey from just inside the area clears the crossbar.
- 89:21 Corner from the left by-line taken by Billy Clifford, Gavin Massey takes a shot from just inside the penalty box which clears the crossbar.
- 88:31 Marc Pugh takes the inswinging corner, clearance by Josh Thompson.
- 88:00 Drey Wright decides to take a short corner.
- 87:39 Marc Pugh delivers the ball, Magnus Okuonghae makes a clearance.
- 86:33 Substitution (Bournemouth) makes a substitution, with Matt Tubbs coming on for Lewis Grabban.
- 82:42 Shot by Brett Pitman from outside the box goes high over the target.
- 81:20 Billy Clifford produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the net.
- Correction - 77:46 Short corner taken by Marc Pugh from the left by-line, Harry Arter takes a shot. Corner from the right by-line taken by Charlie Daniels, save made by Sam Walker. Magnus Okuonghae makes a clearance.
- 77:46 Marc Pugh decides to take a short corner.
- 76:31 Simon Francis gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on John White. Brian Wilson crosses the ball in from the free kick, clearance made by Tommy Elphick.
- 75:59 Michael Smith gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Ryan Allsop. Ryan Allsop restarts play with the free kick.
- 74:06 Unfair challenge on Drey Wright by Simon Francis results in a free kick. Billy Clifford crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing, save made by Ryan Allsop.
- 72:16 Substitution Michael Smith is brought on as a substitute for Clinton Morrison.
- 70:40 Substitution Drey Wright comes on in place of Jack Compton.
- 70:05 Inswinging corner taken by Jack Compton, Ryan Allsop makes a save.
- 69:41 The ball is swung over by Brian Wilson, Marc Pugh gets a block in.
- 68:51 The official flags Lewis Grabban offside. Sam Walker takes the free kick.
- 67:49 Harry Arter takes a shot. Sam Walker makes a save.
- 63:16 Substitution John White joins the action as a substitute, replacing Bradley Garmston.
- 63:16 The official flags Marc Pugh offside. Free kick taken by Sam Walker.
- 59:32 Matt Ritchie takes a shot. Bradley Garmston gets a block in.
- 56:55 The assistant referee flags for offside against Lewis Grabban. Free kick taken by Sam Walker.
- 53:34 Jack Compton takes the inswinging corner, Josh Thompson takes a shot.
- 52:04 Harry Arter takes a shot. Save made by Sam Walker.
- 51:22 Simon Francis takes a shot. Save made by Sam Walker.
- 49:59 The assistant referee signals for offside against Jack Compton. Ryan Allsop takes the free kick.
- 47:40 Clinton Morrison decides to take the corner short.
- 46:32 Corner from the left by-line taken by Billy Clifford, clearance made by Tommy Elphick.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:03 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 45:00+1:12 Harry Arter fouled by Clinton Morrison, the ref awards a free kick. Steve Cook restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:00+0:20 Lewis Grabban has an effort at goal from close range which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 41:23 Handball by Shaun MacDonald. Billy Clifford takes the direct free kick.
- 39:58 Short corner worked by Marc Pugh.
- 39:17 The ball is sent over by Charlie Daniels, Brett Pitman takes a shot. Josh Thompson gets a block in.
- 35:08 The ball is sent over by Harry Arter, Marc Pugh produces a header from close range which bounces off the post.
- 30:46 The official flags Jabo Ibehre offside. Ryan Allsop restarts play with the free kick.
- 27:37 Substitution Shaun MacDonald is brought on as a substitute for Eunan O'Kane.
- 23:54 Free kick taken by Brian Wilson.
- 23:54 Booking Eunan O'Kane shown a yellow card.
- 23:36 Unfair challenge on Clinton Morrison by Eunan O'Kane results in a free kick.
- 21:31 Simon Francis challenges Bradley Garmston unfairly and gives away a free kick. Billy Clifford crosses the ball in from the free kick, Brett Pitman makes a clearance.
- 20:14 Brett Pitman takes a shot. Save made by Sam Walker.
- 18:17 Matt Ritchie provided the assist for the goal.
- 18:17 GOAL - Brett Pitman:Colchester 0 - 1 Bournemouth Brett Pitman finds the back of the net with a goal from close range to the top right corner of the goal. Colchester 0-1 Bournemouth.
- 18:01 Centre by Matt Ritchie,
- 17:16 Foul by Jack Compton on Matt Ritchie, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Ryan Allsop.
- Correction - 16:13 Lewis Grabban takes a shot. Sam Walker makes a save.
- 16:13 Lewis Grabban takes a shot. Save by Sam Walker.
- 14:59 The ball is crossed by Jack Compton, Gavin Massey takes a shot. Save made by Ryan Allsop.
- 11:53 Foul by Clinton Morrison on Simon Francis, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Ryan Allsop.
- 11:06 Jabo Ibehre takes a shot.
- 9:59 Harry Arter takes a shot. Save made by Sam Walker.
- 8:14 The ball is delivered by Matt Ritchie, Josh Thompson makes a clearance.
- 5:58 Jack Compton takes a shot. Blocked by Simon Francis.
- 3:46 Matt Ritchie has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box which goes wide right of the target.
- 2:50 Jabo Ibehre takes a shot. Save by Ryan Allsop.
- 0:14 Effort on goal by Gavin Massey from just outside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.