Tottenham 2 - 2 FC Basel
Tottenham's hopes of making the Europa League semi-finals are in the balance after they fought back to draw with Basel in their last-eight first leg.
The Swiss champions took the lead at White Hart Lane through Valentin Stocker's close-range finish.
Fabian Frei headed in to double the advantage, only for Emmanuel Adebayor to pull one back with a volley.
Gylfi Sigurdsson equalised with a deflected strike, but Gareth Bale was carried off with an ankle injury.
The Wales winger landed awkwardly on his right foot during a challenge with David Degen late on and left on a stretcher, clearly distressed.
Bale is Tottenham's top-scorer this season with 22 goals and they have not won a match in which he has not scored since 1 January.
Spurred into a fightback
Tottenham came back from two goals down in a European match for the fourth time and for the first time since December 2008 when they drew 2-2 with Spartak Moscow
Any prolonged absence for the 23-year-old could have a significant impact on his side's European and domestic campaigns, with Spurs heading to Basel for the second leg on 11 April and lying third in the Premier League as they seek to qualify for next season's Champions League.
They also lost Aaron Lennon to a first-half injury and William Gallas had to go off towards the end, while Jermain Defoe missed the match with a muscular problem that is set to keep him out for two more games.
Fitness concerns aside, manager Andre Villas-Boas will be pleased with the manner in which his team fought back from two down.
Basel reached last season's Champions League knockout stage at Manchester United's expense and it was easy to see why as a line-up combining youth and experience utilised their slick brand of passing football to hit Tottenham with a series of counter-attacks.
Fabian Schar was first to test Brad Friedel with a stinging drive and Marco Streller was also denied by the Spurs keeper.
Tottenham tried to respond but Basel's greater threat soon told as Stocker fed Mohamed Salah and he slid a low cross to Streller. The captain hit the post and Stocker converted the rebound.
Tottenham still looked to be rattled by that setback when Basel won a corner, Jan Vertonghen deflected it into the path of Frei and he got away from Naughton to power a diving header across Friedel and into the net.
White Hart Lane was stunned but Tottenham suddenly found the sort of form that had brought them four wins from their previous five home games and it helped them battle back into contention.
Bale pulled out to the right and crossed for Adebayor, who produced an air-shot with his first attempt but then volleyed in from close range following Scott Parker's scuffed effort.
Parker was involved again two minutes later when he appeared to miss an open goal from 10 yards out, although replays showed his tap-in was deflected wide by the foot of grounded team-mate Lewis Holtby.
The second half initially followed a similar pattern and, after Salah was foiled by Friedel, Naughton drew a fine save from Yann Sommer.
Tottenham managed to pull level when Lennon's replacement Sigurdsson beat Sommer from 22 yards via a deflection off Schar.
Basel worked hard to regain the lead - Salah and Jacques Zoua both wasted superb chances and Stocker went close with a free-kick.
Tottenham held firm but Bale's premature departure meant their evening ended on a sour note.
Live text and stats
Thursday, 4 April 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 24 Friedel
- 05 Vertonghen
- 13 Gallas yellow card
- 16 Naughton
- 32 Assou-Ekotto (Dawson 57)
- 07 Lennon (Sigurdsson 24)
- 08 Parker yellow card
- 11 Bale
- 14 Holtby (Dempsey 63)
- 10 Adebayor
- 19 Dembele
- 01 Sommer
- 06 Dragovic
- 15 Voser
- 16 Schar
- 27 Steinhofer
- 08 Geoffroy (Cabral 66)
- 14 Stocker
- 20 F Frei yellow card
- 22 Salah (Degen 84)
- 33 El-Nenny
- 09 Streller (Jacques Zoua 71)
- 18 Vailati,
- 05 Ajeti,
- 26 Sauro,
- 07 Degen,
- 24 Cabral,
- 13 A Frei,
- 31 Jacques Zoua
- Tottenham 49%
- FC Basel 51%
Attempts on target
- Tottenham 6
- FC Basel 6
Attempts off target
- Tottenham 7
- FC Basel 11
- Tottenham 4
- FC Basel 2
- Tottenham 11
- FC Basel 10
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:40 The final whistle goes and the game is over.
- 84:06 Unfair challenge on Kyle Naughton by Valentin Stocker results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Kyle Naughton.
- 83:37 Substitution (Basle) makes a substitution, with David Degen coming on for Mohamed Salah.
- 83:26 Clint Dempsey takes a shot from long range which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 82:49 Mohamed El-Nenny produces a right-footed shot from just outside the area that goes harmlessly over the target.
- 80:53 Effort on goal by Mohamed Salah from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the goal.
- 79:56 Kyle Naughton takes a shot. Blocked by Valentin Stocker.
- 77:15 William Gallas challenges Jacques Zoua unfairly and gives away a free kick. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Markus Steinhofer, William Gallas manages to make a clearance.
- 76:44 Effort on goal by Jacques Zoua from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the goal.
- 76:21 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Mohamed El-Nenny by Clint Dempsey. Fabian Schar takes the free kick.
- 73:45 Mohamed Salah takes a shot. Michael Dawson gets a block in.
- 71:53 Kay Voser has an effort at goal from outside the box which goes wide right of the target.
- 70:50 Substitution Jacques Zoua on for Marco Streller.
- 65:21 Substitution Adilson Cabral joins the action as a substitute, replacing Serey Die.
- 64:49 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Markus Steinhofer from the left by-line to the near post, clearance by Jan Vertonghen.
- 63:30 Shot comes in from Valentin Stocker from the free kick, save by Brad Friedel.
- 63:30 Booking Scott Parker is cautioned.
- 63:24 Foul by Scott Parker on Mohamed Salah, free kick awarded.
- 62:14 Substitution Clint Dempsey is brought on as a substitute for Lewis Holtby.
- 62:00 Lewis Holtby has shot on goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 59:45 Mohamed Salah produces a left-footed shot from just outside the penalty box that goes wide left of the target.
- 57:42 The assist for the goal came from Mousa Dembele.
- 57:42 GOAL - Gylfi Sigurdsson:Tottenham 2 - 2 FC Basel Goal scored by Gylfi Sigurdsson from outside the area to the top right corner of the goal. Tottenham 2-2 Basle.
- 56:54 Substitution Michael Dawson joins the action as a substitute, replacing Benoit Assou-Ekotto.
- 55:34 Shot from 25 yards from Kyle Naughton. Save by Yann Sommer.
- 55:05 Corner taken by Gareth Bale, clearance by Fabian Schar.
- 54:26 Unfair challenge on Benoit Assou-Ekotto by Mohamed Salah results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Brad Friedel.
- 54:06 Gylfi Sigurdsson takes a shot. Save by Brad Friedel.
- 53:16 Unfair challenge on Fabian Schar by Emmanuel Adebayor results in a free kick. Fabian Schar takes the direct free kick.
- 52:57 Valentin Stocker takes a shot. Blocked by Scott Parker.
- 51:10 Corner taken left-footed by Gareth Bale from the left by-line, Marco Streller manages to make a clearance.
- 49:07 The referee blows for offside against Emmanuel Adebayor. Fabian Schar takes the indirect free kick.
- 48:15 Shot from outside the box by Lewis Holtby misses to the left of the goal.
- 46:55 Free kick taken by Mousa Dembele.
- 46:55 Booking Fabian Frei receives a caution for unsporting behaviour.
- 46:47 Fabian Frei challenges Mousa Dembele unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 45:56 Foul by Mousa Dembele on Markus Steinhofer, free kick awarded. Fabian Schar takes the free kick.
- 45:01 The referee blows his whistle to start the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:10 The referee blows for half time.
- 45:00+0:54 Mousa Dembele takes a shot. Save by Yann Sommer.
- 45:00+0:13 Unfair challenge on Scott Parker by Serey Die results in a free kick. Scott Parker takes the free kick.
- 44:05 Mohamed Salah takes a shot. Save made by Brad Friedel.
- 43:43 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Marco Streller by Mousa Dembele. Serey Die takes the direct free kick.
- 42:04 Effort from close range by Scott Parker goes wide left of the target.
- 41:51 Free kick awarded for a foul by Serey Die on Mousa Dembele. Mousa Dembele takes the free kick.
- 41:10 Fabian Frei concedes a free kick for a foul on Scott Parker. Free kick taken by Benoit Assou-Ekotto.
- 39:50 GOAL - Emmanuel Adebayor:Tottenham 1 - 2 FC Basel A goal is scored by Emmanuel Adebayor from close range to the top left corner of the goal. Tottenham 1-2 Basle.
- 37:14 The official flags Valentin Stocker offside. William Gallas takes the free kick.
- 36:05 Fabian Schar produces a lobbed left-footed shot from deep inside the penalty area which goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 35:07 Mousa Dembele challenges Mohamed El-Nenny unfairly and gives away a free kick. Markus Steinhofer restarts play with the free kick.
- 34:09 GOAL - Fabian Frei:Tottenham 0 - 2 FC Basel Fabian Frei finds the net with a headed goal from close range. Tottenham 0-2 Basle.
- 33:03 Corner taken by Valentin Stocker,
- 32:22 Mohamed Salah has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 29:47 Marco Streller provided the assist for the goal.
- 29:47 GOAL - Valentin Stocker:Tottenham 0 - 1 FC Basel Valentin Stocker grabs a goal from inside the six-yard box high into the middle of the goal. Tottenham 0-1 Basle.
- 28:26 Markus Steinhofer crosses the ball from the free kick right-footed from left wing, Gareth Bale manages to make a clearance.
- 28:26 Booking The referee cautions William Gallas for unsporting behaviour.
- 28:01 William Gallas gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Marco Streller.
- 27:38 Shot from just outside the penalty area by Fabian Schar misses to the left of the target.
- 26:32 Jan Vertonghen challenges Mohamed El-Nenny unfairly and gives away a free kick. Fabian Frei takes the free kick.
- 26:02 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Lewis Holtby from the left by-line to the near post, Mohamed El-Nenny makes a clearance.
- 25:38 Kyle Naughton takes a shot. Aleksander Dragovic gets a block in.
- 25:05 Lewis Holtby takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line to the near post, clearance made by Mohamed El-Nenny.
- 23:14 Brad Friedel takes the free kick.
- 23:14 Substitution Gylfi Sigurdsson on for Aaron Lennon.
- 23:14 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on William Gallas by Marco Streller.
- 21:01 The ball is crossed by Aaron Lennon, Aleksander Dragovic makes a clearance.
- 19:48 The ball is swung over by Benoit Assou-Ekotto, Fabian Schar makes a clearance.
- 18:29 Shot by Gareth Bale from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the target.
- 17:19 The assistant referee flags for offside against Fabian Frei. Indirect free kick taken by Brad Friedel.
- 15:46 Fabian Frei concedes a free kick for a foul on Mousa Dembele. Shot comes in from Gareth Bale from the free kick, save made by Yann Sommer.
- 12:43 Emmanuel Adebayor concedes a free kick for a foul on Aleksander Dragovic. Aleksander Dragovic takes the direct free kick.
- 10:13 Effort on goal by Markus Steinhofer from just inside the area clears the crossbar.
- 9:54 Marco Streller takes a shot. Brad Friedel makes a save.
- 9:08 Fabian Schar takes a shot. Save by Brad Friedel.
- 6:12 Fabian Schar concedes a free kick for a foul on Aaron Lennon. Aaron Lennon takes the free kick.
- 5:45 Unfair challenge on Mousa Dembele by Mohamed El-Nenny results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Mousa Dembele.
- 1:32 Unfair challenge on Fabian Schar by Emmanuel Adebayor results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Fabian Schar.
- 0:53 The ball is swung over by Benoit Assou-Ekotto, clearance made by Aleksander Dragovic.
- 0:00 The game kicks-off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
CommentsJump to comments pagination
Comment number 366.a_proud_devil
6th April 2013 - 16:13
Comment number 365.The prof
5th April 2013 - 21:32
Comment number 364.who_dat
5th April 2013 - 21:04
Comment number 363.king ledley
5th April 2013 - 20:49
Comment number 362.EverySingleGoal
5th April 2013 - 20:21