Swindon 1 - 1 Brentford
Kevin O'Connor's injury-time penalty gave Brentford a vital draw against Swindon in the first leg of the League One play-off semi-final.
Massimo Luongo put the hosts in front with a curling effort.
And just when it seemed Swindon would take a one-goal advantage into the return tie, Luongo brought down Harry Forrester and O'Connor converted.
O'Connor the Bees knees
- Kevin O'Connor signed professional terms with Brentford in 1999 and made his debut in February 2000
- He was awarded a testimonial against Fulham for 10 years' service in July 2010
- His 486 games for the club put him fourth in the London team's all-time appearance list
Swindon still could have won it but Andy Williams put his late effort over the bar.
Brentford's last-gasp penalty will have given Bees supporters flashbacks to the final day of the campaign, when Marcello Trotta missed a 90th-minute spot-kick that would have sent his side into the Championship, only for Doncaster to go straight up the other end and score a goal through James Coppinger that saw the South Yorkshire club go up instead of Uwe Rosler's men.
But Trotta, an unused substitute at the County Ground, watched from the bench as regular penalty taker O'Connor coolly converted to make for an intriguing second leg on Monday.
Swindon had come into the game after a run of just two wins in eight had left them in the final play-off berth, and Kevin MacDonald's side were on the back foot early on, with Adam Forshaw going close before Adam Rooney dragged wide at the other end.
MacDonald has been tasked with completing the job of achieving back-to-back promotions - a task started by Paolo Di Canio but handed over following the Italian's departure in February.
And Australian Luongo, on loan from Tottenham, had Town in front with a superbly controlled effort from the edge of the box.
Brentford applied late pressure but Swindon looked to have survived when Alan McCormack threw his body in the way of a rasping Farid El Alagui effort.
However, Luongo turned from hero to villain when he scythed down Forrester, allowing 31-year-old O'Connor, a Brentford stalwart of 14 years, to make it all square in his 486th game for the club.
VIEW FROM THE DRESSING ROOM
Swindon Town manager Kevin MacDonald told BBC Wiltshire:
"We're disappointed but now makes it a one-off tie come Monday.
"We're very disappointed to concede a penalty so late on in the game when we felt we maybe had a couple of good shouts for a penalty at the other end.
"They (Brentford) will be delighted but we're still in the game and that's the most important thing.
"We've got to get ourselves re-set and come out fighting on Monday."
Brentford boss Uwe Rosler told BBC London 94.9:
"It was a difficult game, not much between the two sides but our back four did very well and it was a fair result overall.
"The handling and presence of Simon Moore for a young goalkeeper was exceptional.
"Kevin O Connor did a great job despite not playing many games and he used all his experience and skills to convert his penalty today."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 4 May 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Foderingham
- 04 Flint
- 05 Devera
- 22 Ward
- 24 Byrne
- 08 Ferry (Collins 82)
- 11 Roberts yellow card
- 12 McCormack
- 25 Luongo
- 16 Williams
- 28 A Rooney
- 30 Bedwell,
- 06 Navarro,
- 07 L Rooney,
- 18 Miller,
- 09 Collins,
- 20 Storey,
- 23 De Vita
- 21 Moore
- 06 Dean
- 14 Logan
- 18 Hodson (Forrester 77)
- 24 Bidwell
- 02 O'Connor
- 04 Forshaw (Saunders 82)
- 08 Douglas
- 12 Adeyemi
- 09 Donaldson
- 17 Wright-Phillips (El Alagui 68)
- 16 Gounet,
- 07 Saunders,
- 20 Diagouraga,
- 22 Reeves,
- 10 El Alagui,
- 11 Trotta,
- 19 Forrester
- Swindon 49%
- Brentford 51%
Attempts on target
- Swindon 5
- Brentford 1
Attempts off target
- Swindon 5
- Brentford 3
- Swindon 9
- Brentford 4
- Swindon 10
- Brentford 13
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:32 The final whistle goes and the game is over.
- 90:00+4:51 James Collins produces a right-footed shot from inside the area that clears the bar.
- 90:00+3:53 Assist by Harry Forrester.
- 90:00+3:53 GOAL - Kevin O'Connor:Swindon 1 - 1 Brentford Penalty taken right-footed by Kevin O'Connor and scored. Swindon 1-1 Brentford.
- 90:00+2:55 Penalty awarded for an unfair challenge on Harry Forrester by Massimo Luongo.
- 89:32 Shot from just outside the area by Massimo Luongo goes over the bar.
- 86:45 Sam Saunders challenges Nathan Byrne unfairly and gives away a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Wes Foderingham.
- 86:17 The official flags James Collins offside. Simon Moore restarts play with the free kick.
- 84:50 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Sam Saunders, clearance made by Aden Flint. Harry Forrester takes a shot. Blocked by Massimo Luongo. Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Sam Saunders, Headed effort on goal by Harlee Dean from just inside the box goes harmlessly over the goal.
- 84:01 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Darren Ward by Clayton Donaldson. Wes Foderingham restarts play with the free kick.
- 81:15 Substitution (Swindon) makes a substitution, with James Collins coming on for Simon Ferry.
- 81:15 Substitution Sam Saunders joins the action as a substitute, replacing Adam Forshaw.
- 80:41 Corner taken by Massimo Luongo from the left by-line to the near post, Tom Adeyemi makes a clearance.
- 79:21 Andy Williams gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Kevin O'Connor. Harlee Dean restarts play with the free kick.
- 76:16 Substitution Harry Forrester joins the action as a substitute, replacing Lee Hodson.
- 75:36 Unfair challenge on Jonathan Douglas by Gary Roberts results in a free kick. Simon Moore restarts play with the free kick.
- 74:55 Massimo Luongo takes a inswinging corner from the left by-line to the near post.
- 72:58 Free kick awarded for a foul by Harlee Dean on Andy Williams. The free kick is delivered right-footed by Alan McCormack from left channel, clearance by Kevin O'Connor.
- 69:38 Simon Ferry provided the assist for the goal.
- 69:38 GOAL - Massimo Luongo:Swindon 1 - 0 Brentford Massimo Luongo scores a goal from just outside the area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Swindon 1-0 Brentford.
- 67:31 Substitution Bradley Wright-Phillips goes off and Farid El Alagui comes on.
- 65:32 Shot from just outside the box by Alan McCormack goes over the bar.
- 59:25 Adam Rooney concedes a free kick for a foul on Simon Moore. Simon Moore takes the free kick.
- 57:34 Headed effort from deep inside the area by Adam Rooney misses to the left of the goal.
- 56:03 Massimo Luongo takes a shot. Simon Moore makes a comfortable save.
- 54:32 Shaleum Logan concedes a free kick for a foul on Nathan Byrne. Darren Ward restarts play with the free kick. Corner taken by Gary Roberts from the right by-line to the near post, clearance by Bradley Wright-Phillips.
- 52:00 Unfair challenge on Alan McCormack by Jonathan Douglas results in a free kick. Wes Foderingham takes the indirect free kick.
- 49:59 Bradley Wright-Phillips concedes a free kick for a foul on Darren Ward. Darren Ward takes the free kick.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:19 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- 45:00+0:25 Booking Gary Roberts receives a yellow card.
- 45:00+0:02 Gary Roberts challenges Shaleum Logan unfairly and gives away a free kick. Simon Moore takes the free kick.
- 41:58 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Gary Roberts by Tom Adeyemi. Free kick crossed right-footed by Massimo Luongo from left wing.
- 40:40 The offside flag is raised against Clayton Donaldson. Wes Foderingham restarts play with the free kick.
- 38:18 Adam Rooney concedes a free kick for a foul on Kevin O'Connor. Simon Moore takes the free kick.
- 37:31 Jonathan Douglas takes a shot from just outside the penalty area clears the crossbar.
- 34:55 Corner taken by Adam Forshaw from the right by-line.
- 34:02 Andy Williams takes a shot. Save made by Simon Moore.
- 31:47 Free kick awarded for a foul by Tom Adeyemi on Andy Williams. Darren Ward takes the free kick.
- 29:56 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Massimo Luongo by Tom Adeyemi. Wes Foderingham takes the free kick.
- 28:43 Short corner worked by Massimo Luongo.
- 27:44 Harlee Dean gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Adam Rooney. Free kick crossed by Massimo Luongo, Harlee Dean makes a clearance.
- 25:41 Aden Flint gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Clayton Donaldson. Jake Bidwell delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from right channel.
- 25:08 Adam Rooney takes a shot. Simon Moore makes a save.
- 21:59 Effort on goal by Adam Forshaw from inside the box misses to the right of the target.
- 20:33 Shot by Gary Roberts. Tom Adeyemi gets a block in. Corner taken by Massimo Luongo from the left by-line, Clayton Donaldson makes a clearance.
- 19:38 Massimo Luongo decides to take a short corner.
- 19:02 Unfair challenge on Clayton Donaldson by Massimo Luongo results in a free kick. Simon Moore restarts play with the free kick.
- 18:06 Gary Roberts takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line to the near post, clearance made by Clayton Donaldson.
- 17:33 Corner taken right-footed by Gary Roberts, clearance by Kevin O'Connor.
- 11:36 Andy Williams fouled by Harlee Dean, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick crossed right-footed by Massimo Luongo.
- 10:15 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Gary Roberts from the right by-line, Harlee Dean makes a clearance.
- 8:39 Alan McCormack gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jonathan Douglas. Free kick taken by Kevin O'Connor.
- 7:31 Aden Flint fouled by Bradley Wright-Phillips, the ref awards a free kick. Darren Ward restarts play with the free kick.
- 5:36 Tom Adeyemi gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Alan McCormack. Wes Foderingham restarts play with the free kick.
- 3:45 Aden Flint gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Tom Adeyemi. Adam Forshaw delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from right channel, clearance made by Joe Devera. Adam Forshaw takes the inswinging corner, save by Wes Foderingham.
- 2:13 The official flags Adam Forshaw offside. Indirect free kick taken by Wes Foderingham.
- 0:30 Nathan Byrne produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide left of the goal.
- 0:00 The referee starts the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.