Man Utd 2 - 1 Swansea
Sir Alex Ferguson's final game as Manchester United manager at Old Trafford ended as so many have done before - with victory secured by a late goal.
Rio Ferdinand's first goal for five years gave Ferguson three points against Swansea City in his 723rd game at "The Theatre Of Dreams" following the announcement of his retirement after 26 years at the club.
Ferguson in numbers
1: Knighthood from the Queen in June 1999
2: Champions League titles against Bayern Munich in 1999 and Chelsea in 2008
5: Teams managed by Ferguson - East Stirling 1974, St Mirren 1975-78, Aberdeen 1978-1986, Scotland 1985-86, Man Utd 1986-2013
6: Clubs as a player - Queen's Park, St Johnstone, Dunfermline, Rangers, Falkirk, Ayr
9: Scottish and English FA Cup titles
17: Games missed due to touchline bans.
26: Years since United had won the title before Ferguson's triumph in 1993
38: Trophies won at Old Trafford
49: Trophies won as a manager with Manchester United, Aberdeen and St Mirren.
104: Players bought while at Manchester United. The last was Wilfried Zaha, signed from Crystal Palace for fee rising to £15m in January and loaned back to Palace.
170: Goals scored during his playing career
370: Appearances as a player
1499: Games at Manchester United, with 895 wins, 337 draws and 267 defeats
On a day of high emotion, decorated by the presentation of the Premier League trophy for the 13th time, Old Trafford spent 90 minutes, plus an added three minutes of so-called "Fergie time", celebrating the glittering career of the 71-year-old Scot.
The statistics of the afternoon were almost a sideline. Javier Hernandez gave United a first-half lead, Michu equalising for Swansea before Ferdinand's finish three minutes from time completed the formalities.
Ferguson, who never felt the need to move into his technical area once, joined his players on the pitch after the final whistle, taking the microphone to reflect on his career.
He paid tribute to players, supporters and those at United who supported him in troubled early years before calling on Old Trafford to give its full support to new manager David Moyes once he completes his switch from Everton.
Ferguson then returned with his triumphant squad to complete what has become a familiar ritual during his Manchester United career, lifting the Premier League trophy - this time having reclaimed it from arch-rivals Manchester City.
The players' entrance, where United's team coach arrives, was packed three hours before kick-off in anticipation of Ferguson's final arrival as manager at Old Trafford.
And in an atmosphere of celebration and sentimentality, the mood was captured as Frank Sinatra's "My Way" and Nat King Cole's "Unforgettable" played out over the public address system in tribute to Ferguson.
Ferguson waited in the tunnel while 70,000 red flags were waved in unison as the Scot was announced as "the man who made the impossible dream possible", before he walked through a guard of honour formed by both sets of players.
He took the thunderous acclaim from all parts of the ground before moving to his familiar seat in the dug-out to oversee proceedings. As he walked out United's electric scoreboard cut brightly through the rain and gloom to show the figures "26.38" - Ferguson's years and Ferguson's trophies at Old Trafford.
The famous old stadium was also saying its farewells to Paul Scholes, who has announced his retirement. He was playing in his 717th United game and received an ovation worthy of his stellar contribution to the Ferguson era.
The game itself was almost incidental, although Hernandez hit the bar in the opening moments before accepting Ashley Williams's dreadful clearance to drill a low finish under Gerhard Tremmel as half-time approached.
He scores goals
Paul Scholes retires having played 498 Premier League games and scored 107 goals
Little had been seen of Michu, but after 49 minutes the striker gave the perfect demonstration of the quality that has made him one of the signings of this season when he applied a brilliant flicked finish to Nathan Dyer's cross.
And as United appeared to be sucked into the relaxed mood, Wayne Routledge poked a finish inches wide when he should have hit the target and keeper David de Gea saved well from Pablo Hernandez.
Ferguson made a double change after 66 minutes. Scholes departed Old Trafford to rapturous applause as he was replaced by Anderson while Antonio Valencia replaced Danny Welbeck.
Anderson's impact was almost instant with a low shot that flew inches wide.
And as so often in the Ferguson era, the script took a late twist. There was almost an inevitability about the finale, Ferdinand powering home a finish at the far post to give this gala occasion the perfect conclusion.
Live text and stats
Sunday, 12 May 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 De Gea
- 03 Evra
- 04 Jones
- 05 Ferdinand
- 15 Vidic
- 16 Carrick
- 19 Welbeck (Valencia 66)
- 22 Scholes (Anderson 66)
- 26 Kagawa
- 14 Hernandez (Giggs 76)
- 20 Van Persie
- 25 Tremmel
- 03 Taylor (Davies 65)
- 04 Chico
- 06 Williams
- 21 Tiendalli
- 07 Britton
- 09 Michu (Rangel 74)
- 11 Pablo (Agustien 87)
- 12 Dyer
- 15 Routledge
- 20 De Guzman
- Man Utd 64%
- Swansea 36%
Attempts on target
- Man Utd 9
- Swansea 2
Attempts off target
- Man Utd 7
- Swansea 3
- Man Utd 7
- Swansea 5
- Man Utd 5
- Swansea 6
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:14 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+1:06 Robin van Persie takes a shot. Gerhard Tremmel makes a save.
- 90:00+0:44 Robin van Persie produces a cross.
- 88:58 Oliveira Anderson produces a left-footed shot from the edge of the area and misses to the left of the target.
- 86:34 Assist by Robin van Persie.
- 86:34 GOAL - Rio Ferdinand:Man Utd 2 - 1 Swansea A goal is scored by Rio Ferdinand from close range to the top left corner of the goal. Man Utd 2-1 Swansea.
- 86:32 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Robin van Persie.
- 86:16 Substitution (Swansea) makes a substitution, with Kemy Agustien coming on for Pablo Hernandez.
- 85:38 Robin van Persie takes a shot. Ben Davies gets a block in.
- 84:48 The ball is swung over by Wayne Routledge, David De Gea manages to make a clearance.
- 81:48 Chico challenges Robin van Persie unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick crossed by Ryan Giggs, Wayne Routledge makes a clearance.
- 78:36 Ryan Giggs is adjudged to have handled the ball. Jonathan de Guzman takes the free kick.
- 77:21 Corner from the right by-line taken by Robin van Persie, Header from close in by Nemanja Vidic misses to the left of the goal.
- 76:30 Unfair challenge on Robin van Persie by Chico results in a free kick. Ryan Giggs crosses the ball in from the free kick, Angel Rangel makes a clearance.
- 75:29 Antonio Valencia concedes a free kick for a foul on Ben Davies. Direct free kick taken by Pablo Hernandez.
- 74:37 Pablo Hernandez restarts play with the free kick.
- 74:37 Substitution Javier Hernandez goes off and Ryan Giggs comes on.
- 74:37 Wayne Routledge fouled by Nemanja Vidic, the ref awards a free kick.
- 73:33 Substitution Angel Rangel on for Miguel Michu.
- 72:18 The ball is delivered by Nathan Dyer, clearance made by Robin van Persie.
- 71:51 Wayne Routledge decides to take the corner short.
- 68:12 Oliveira Anderson has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 67:05 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Robin van Persie, Ashley Williams manages to make a clearance.
- 66:38 Shinji Kagawa takes a shot. Ashley Williams makes a clearance.
- 64:50 Substitution Antonio Valencia comes on in place of Danny Welbeck.
- 64:50 Substitution Paul Scholes goes off and Oliveira Anderson comes on.
- 64:50 Substitution Neil Taylor leaves the field to be replaced by Ben Davies.
- 63:38 Danny Welbeck sends in a cross.
- 62:30 Effort on goal by Wayne Routledge from just inside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 62:03 Jonathan de Guzman takes a outswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post, clearance by Shinji Kagawa.
- 61:36 Pablo Hernandez takes a shot. Save by David De Gea.
- 59:44 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Robin van Persie from the right by-line, Gerhard Tremmel makes a save.
- 57:41 A cross is delivered by Patrice Evra, clearance by Leon Britton.
- 55:53 The assistant referee flags for offside against Robin van Persie. Dwight Tiendalli takes the free kick.
- 52:52 Nemanja Vidic concedes a free kick for a foul on Nathan Dyer. Direct free kick taken by Leon Britton.
- 52:05 Shot from close range by Wayne Routledge misses to the right of the target.
- 50:40 Free kick awarded for a foul by Wayne Routledge on Michael Carrick. Free kick taken by Nemanja Vidic.
- 48:19 The assist for the goal came from Nathan Dyer.
- 48:19 GOAL - Miguel Michu:Man Utd 1 - 1 Swansea A goal is scored by Miguel Michu from deep inside the penalty area low into the middle of the goal. Man Utd 1-1 Swansea.
- 48:10 Corner taken by Jonathan de Guzman from the left by-line, clearance made by Robin van Persie.
- 47:25 Corner taken short by Wayne Routledge.
- 45:01 The second half kicks off.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:00 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- 43:31 Effort on goal by Robin van Persie from just outside the area goes harmlessly over the target.
- 43:01 Corner taken by Shinji Kagawa from the left by-line, save made by Gerhard Tremmel.
- 42:35 Robin van Persie takes a shot. Save by Gerhard Tremmel.
- 42:06 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Michael Carrick by Miguel Michu. Michael Carrick takes the direct free kick.
- 38:19 Assist by Robin van Persie.
- 38:19 GOAL - Javier Hernandez:Man Utd 1 - 0 Swansea A goal is scored by Javier Hernandez from close in low into the middle of the goal. Man Utd 1-0 Swansea.
- 36:52 Neil Taylor challenges Danny Welbeck unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick crossed by Robin van Persie.
- 36:05 A cross is delivered by Phil Jones, save made by Gerhard Tremmel.
- 35:40 Free kick awarded for a foul by Patrice Evra on Nathan Dyer. Free kick taken by Dwight Tiendalli.
- 34:31 Javier Hernandez takes a shot from just inside the penalty box which clears the crossbar.
- 32:17 Shinji Kagawa has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 31:35 The ball is delivered by Patrice Evra.
- 29:27 Corner taken right-footed by Jonathan de Guzman, Phil Jones makes a clearance.
- 26:13 Robin van Persie is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Gerhard Tremmel takes the free kick.
- 25:20 Nathan Dyer takes a shot from just inside the penalty box which clears the crossbar.
- 24:36 Paul Scholes takes a shot. Save by Gerhard Tremmel.
- 21:01 Patrice Evra takes a shot. Save by Gerhard Tremmel.
- 18:44 Foul by Jonathan de Guzman on Javier Hernandez, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Michael Carrick.
- 14:49 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Robin van Persie from the right by-line, Ashley Williams manages to make a clearance.
- 14:28 Shinji Kagawa decides to take the corner short.
- Correction - 13:54 Javier Hernandez takes a shot. Chico gets a block in.
- 13:54 Javier Hernandez takes a shot. Blocked by Chico.
- 8:56 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Chico by Javier Hernandez. Free kick taken by Leon Britton.
- 4:23 Javier Hernandez takes a shot.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to start the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.