England 1 - 1 Rep of Ireland
England's first meeting with the Republic of Ireland since 1995 - when their clash at Lansdowne Road was abandoned amid crowd violence - ended in a disappointing Wembley draw.
The atmosphere generated by the 80,000 spectators inside the stadium was lively but this was a game where moments of genuine quality were few and far between.
"Theo Walcott was the most dangerous player but his team-mates didn't feed him enough. Ireland were able to cope easily. It was a stiff performance. It wasn't as slow as a lot of friendlies are -overall it wasn't too bad. The media will have their say but the only thing that counts is what Roy Hodgson concludes from the game."
Republic striker Shane Long produced one with a superb header to give them an early lead but Frank Lampard took advantage of good work by Daniel Sturridge to equalise with his 29th goal for England before half-time.
Liverpool forward Sturridge pulled up with what looked like a serious injury shortly afterwards and was taken away on a stretcher after lengthy treatment.
The Republic, with Everton's Seamus Coleman the game's outstanding performer, survived in relative comfort although it needed two fine late David Forde saves from Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Theo Walcott to earn the visitors a draw that was celebrated joyously by their supporters as they maintained an unbeaten 28-year record against England.
England now head to Rio to face Brazil on Sunday and there was little here to concern their illustrious next opponents. Manager Roy Hodgson will be concerned by his side's lack of creativity and his attacking resources are now further reduced by Sturridge's absence.
Captain for the night Ashley Cole received a very positive ovation from the Wembley crowd as he was presented with a commemorative golden cap by Hodgson for passing a century of appearances for his country.
The Republic were, as usual, being backed by thousands of noisy followers inside Wembley and the moment they so craved arrived after 13 minutes. Coleman's right-wing delivery was inviting enough but it still needed a magnificent header from Long, rising above Glen Johnson, to beat Joe Hart in the England goal.
Sturridge was keen to make his mark on his first start for his country and he duly obliged when they drew level after 23 minutes. He showed neat footwork in the box before Lampard arrived with his trademark perfect timing to steer a close-range finish past Forde.
This was Sturridge's final contribution of any significance, though.
The former Chelsea forward pulled up while chasing Glenn Whelan back into a defensive position, instantly signalled that he was in trouble, and was taken away on a stretcher after being examined on the touchline.
England made two more substitutions at half-time, replacing Hart with Ben Foster - his first international appearance since November 2010 after making himself available once more - and Phil Jones coming on for Johnson.
Irish eyes smiling
The draw at Wembley stretches Republic of Ireland's unbeaten run against England to five games, dating back to 26 March 1985. On that day, goals from Trevor Steven and Gary Lineker gave England a 2-1 win over the Republic, for whom Liam Brady found the net.
Cole almost celebrated wearing the captain's armband with his first England goal in 102 appearances when he arrived in the six-yard box on the end of the impressive Walcott's cross but Sean St Ledger made a vital clearance.
Chelsea defender Cole then departed to warm applause as he was replaced by Leighton Baines after 53 minutes.
Walcott tested Forde with a low shot that the keeper was able to gather comfortably. England were searching for any spark of inspiration but the hard work and commitment of the Republic was keeping them at arm's length.
England's best chance fell to the feet of Oxlade-Chamberlain seven minutes from time as Wayne Rooney's pass found its way through to him, but Forde was quickly off his line to make an important block with his legs.
He then thwarted Walcott in similar fashion as he moved to Lampard's pass from the angle and England had to settle for a draw.
Live text and stats
Wednesday, 29 May 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Hart (Foster 45+1)
- 02 Johnson (Jones 45+1)
- 03 Cole (Baines 53)
- 05 Cahill
- 06 Jagielka
- 04 Carrick
- 07 Walcott
- 08 Lampard
- 11 Oxlade-Chamberlain (Milner 87)
- 09 Sturridge (Defoe 33)
- 10 Rooney
Rep of Ireland
- 01 Forde
- 02 Coleman
- 04 O'Shea
- 05 St Ledger
- 12 Kelly
- 06 Whelan (Hendrick 73)
- 07 McGeady (McClean 68)
- 08 McCarthy
- 09 Long
- 10 Keane (Cox 65)
- 15 Walters (Sammon 81)
- England 49%
- Rep Ireland 51%
Attempts on target
- England 7
- Rep Ireland 3
Attempts off target
- England 8
- Rep Ireland 5
- England 9
- Rep Ireland 4
- England 8
- Rep Ireland 15
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:00 The final whistle goes and the game is over.
- 89:31 Phil Jagielka gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on James McCarthy. Direct free kick taken by Sean St. Ledger.
- 87:56 A cross is delivered by Wayne Rooney, save made by David Forde.
- 86:11 Theo Walcott takes a shot. David Forde makes a save.
- 86:11 Substitution Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain goes off and James Milner comes on.
- 86:11 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Frank Lampard.
- 85:44 Jermain Defoe takes a shot. John O'Shea gets a block in.
- 85:16 The assistant referee signals for offside against Shane Long. Ben Foster takes the free kick.
- 83:13 Outswinging corner taken by Wayne Rooney from the right by-line, James McCarthy makes a clearance.
- 82:56 Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain takes a shot. David Forde makes a save.
- 80:57 Substitution Jonathan Walters leaves the field to be replaced by Conor Sammon.
- 78:25 Shane Long concedes a free kick for a foul on Ben Foster. Ben Foster takes the free kick.
- 75:50 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Wayne Rooney from the left by-line, save by David Forde.
- 74:03 Michael Carrick challenges Shane Long unfairly and gives away a free kick. Direct effort from the free kick comes in from James McClean.
- 73:47 Simon Cox challenges Michael Carrick unfairly and gives away a free kick. Michael Carrick restarts play with the free kick.
- 72:47 Substitution (Rep of Ireland) makes a substitution, with Jeff Hendrick coming on for Glenn Whelan.
- 72:47 Foul by Wayne Rooney on James McClean, free kick awarded. David Forde takes the free kick.
- 70:55 James McCarthy takes a shot. Ben Foster makes a save.
- 69:54 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Shane Long by Phil Jagielka. Glenn Whelan takes the direct free kick.
- 69:12 Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the net.
- 68:06 Unfair challenge on Gary Cahill by Simon Cox results in a free kick. Ben Foster takes the direct free kick.
- 67:41 Substitution James McClean joins the action as a substitute, replacing Aiden McGeady.
- 66:53 Theo Walcott takes a shot. Save made by David Forde.
- 66:34 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Gary Cahill by Shane Long. Gary Cahill takes the direct free kick.
- 64:57 Substitution Simon Cox is brought on as a substitute for Robbie Keane.
- 64:17 Corner taken right-footed by Frank Lampard, James McCarthy makes a clearance.
- 64:00 Theo Walcott takes a shot. Save made by David Forde.
- 62:59 Theo Walcott produces a cross.
- 62:41 Unfair challenge on Gary Cahill by Seamus Coleman results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Gary Cahill.
- 60:52 The offside flag is raised against Shane Long. Indirect free kick taken by Ben Foster.
- 57:46 Seamus Coleman takes a shot. Phil Jagielka gets a block in. Outswinging corner taken by Aiden McGeady from the right by-line, clearance by Gary Cahill.
- 55:21 Leighton Baines produces a cross.
- 55:02 Frank Lampard fouled by Shane Long, the ref awards a free kick. Frank Lampard takes the direct free kick.
- 53:55 Unfair challenge on Theo Walcott by Stephen Kelly results in a free kick. Leighton Baines produces a strike on goal direct from the free kick.
- 52:44 Substitution Leighton Baines comes on in place of Ashley Cole.
- 52:33 Frank Lampard has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box missing to the wide left of the goal.
- 51:04 Free kick awarded for a foul by Ashley Cole on James McCarthy. Free kick taken by John O'Shea.
- 47:39 Centre by Ashley Cole.
- 47:23 Outswinging corner taken by Frank Lampard from the left by-line.
- 47:11 A cross is delivered by Wayne Rooney.
- 45:01 The second half begins.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:08 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 45:00+0:06 Substitution Joe Hart goes off and Ben Foster comes on.
- 45:00+0:06 Substitution Phil Jones replaces Glen Johnson.
- 43:04 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Aiden McGeady from the left by-line, clearance by Phil Jagielka.
- 42:14 Glen Johnson crosses the ball, save made by David Forde.
- 42:02 Seamus Coleman gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Wayne Rooney. Wayne Rooney takes the direct free kick.
- 41:09 Stephen Kelly gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Theo Walcott. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Frank Lampard.
- 39:57 Shot from just outside the area by Jonathan Walters misses to the right of the target.
- 37:56 Theo Walcott crosses the ball.
- 36:18 Effort from a long way out by Aiden McGeady goes wide right of the goal.
- 35:45 Centre by Shane Long, Joe Hart makes a save.
- 34:45 Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain takes a shot. Save made by David Forde.
- 32:57 Substitution Daniel Sturridge leaves the field to be replaced by Jermain Defoe.
- 32:13 Robbie Keane delivers the ball.
- 31:13 Corner taken right-footed by Frank Lampard from the right by-line, clearance made by Sean St. Ledger.
- 31:00 Glen Johnson produces a cross, Sean St. Ledger makes a clearance.
- 28:32 Foul by Phil Jagielka on Shane Long, free kick awarded. Shot on goal comes in from Glenn Whelan from the free kick.
- 27:29 The ball is delivered by Glen Johnson.
- 26:44 Glen Johnson sends in a cross.
- 25:55 Ashley Cole fouled by Shane Long, the ref awards a free kick. Joe Hart takes the free kick.
- 25:11 Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain sends in a cross.
- 24:14 Corner taken right-footed by Aiden McGeady, clearance by Gary Cahill.
- 23:44 Corner taken right-footed by Aiden McGeady, Gary Cahill makes a clearance.
- 22:32 Assist on the goal came from Daniel Sturridge.
- 22:32 GOAL - Frank Lampard:England 1 - 1 Rep of Ireland Frank Lampard finds the net with a goal from inside the penalty box low into the middle of the goal. England 1-1 Rep of Ireland.
- 22:18 The ball is crossed by Daniel Sturridge,
- 21:33 The ball is swung over by Shane Long, Joe Hart makes a save.
- 20:38 Shane Long concedes a free kick for a foul on Phil Jagielka. Gary Cahill takes the direct free kick.
- 20:04 Shot by Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain from outside the box goes high over the crossbar.
- 19:21 Header by Gary Cahill from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the target.
- 18:50 Outswinging corner taken by Frank Lampard.
- 18:42 The ball is swung over by Wayne Rooney.
- 17:48 Glen Johnson has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box which goes wide right of the target.
- 16:37 Corner taken by Frank Lampard, David Forde makes a save.
- 14:19 Glenn Whelan concedes a free kick for a foul on Wayne Rooney. Frank Lampard produces a shot on goal direct from the free kick.
- 14:08 Foul by Jonathan Walters on Wayne Rooney, free kick awarded. Wayne Rooney restarts play with the free kick.
- 13:00 Seamus Coleman provided the assist for the goal.
- 13:00 GOAL - Shane Long:England 0 - 1 Rep of Ireland Shane Long finds the net with a headed goal from inside the penalty area. England 0-1 Rep of Ireland.
- 12:55 Centre by Seamus Coleman,
- 10:10 Unfair challenge on Aiden McGeady by Michael Carrick results in a free kick. David Forde takes the free kick.
- 6:45 Gary Cahill fouled by Robbie Keane, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Joe Hart.
- 6:12 Frank Lampard concedes a free kick for a foul on Sean St. Ledger. David Forde restarts play with the free kick.
- 3:49 Wayne Rooney produces a right-footed shot from deep inside the area which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 3:05 Robbie Keane produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the area and misses to the left of the goal.
- 1:58 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Frank Lampard.
- 1:27 Foul by John O'Shea on Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, free kick awarded. Frank Lampard takes the direct free kick.
- 0:00 The match has kicked off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
CommentsJump to comments pagination
Comment number 392.Alex_K89
31st May 2013 - 8:53
Comment number 391.SultanA
30th May 2013 - 23:44
Comment number 390.TwoWardrobes
30th May 2013 - 20:29
Comment number 389.Yoursomelanger
30th May 2013 - 20:26
Comment number 388._mitch_
30th May 2013 - 20:20