England suffered their first defeat by Spain for 17 years as they succumbed to an injury-time own goal from goalkeeper Karen Bardsley in their Euro 2013 opener in Linkoping.
Hope Powell's side twice recovered from going behind with Eniola Aluko replying to Veronica Boquete's early strike and Laura Bassett seeming to have pinched a late point when she cancelled out Jennifer Hermoso's finish.
But as the game entered stoppage time, Adriana's cross from the left hit Bardsley in the face as she was challenged by Alexia Putellas and deflected in.
Group C - Women's Euros 2013
England's performance was an improvement on their showing against Sweden in a warm-up game last week, but in keeping with the men's national team, Spain - competing in their first European Championship since 1997 - kept the ball well for long periods and made it tough night for Powell's side.
It means a second consecutive defeat for England, who were 11 games unbeaten before they arrived in Sweden and are hoping to repeat their Euro 2009 run when they made it to the final.
But with Group C rivals France winning their opening game 3-1 against Russia earlier on Friday, this upset leaves Powell's side with an uphill task.
With the top two teams from each of the Euro 2013 groups joined by two of the best third-placed team in the last eight, there is still plenty to play for. However, England will need a rapid improvement if they are to achieve their goal.
Boquete said she was on a "revenge mission" after Spain were denied qualification to Euro 2009 and the 2011 World Cup by England, and she, along with fellow Spain forwards Adriana and Sonia, caused the England defence plenty of problems.
England were without Sophie Bradley, who injured her ankle against Sweden, and they got off to a miserable start to their campaign when Sonia's neat flick carved the defence open and Boquete slotted in.
England must learn from errors - Powell
But Spain relinquished their lead shortly afterwards when England, seventh in the Fifa world rankings, attacked down the inside left channel, and Jill Scott fed Aluko for her 15th England goal.
After a poor start, England's equaliser led to a better spell and Fara Williams tested Ainhoa Tirapu in the Spanish goal with a 20-yard shot.
But Spain, who are ranked 18th in the world, would not be kept quiet. Bardsley had to deny Adriana and Sonia before the break, although Ellen White also went close at the other end.
The second-half introduction of substitute Putellas gave Spain added energy and after Vicky Losada hit the bar from close range when Bardsley let a deep cross bounce over her head, they went ahead once more.
With five minutes left, England failed to clear a corner and Hermoso rifled a shot home through a crowded six-yard box. England looked finished but Bassett then appeared to save them with a curling finish following a corner.
But Bardsley could not claim another curling cross, this time from Adriana, and under pressure from Putellas the ball struck her on the head and deflected into her own net.
Earlier in Group C,
recorded the first win of Euro 2013, comfortably beating
3-1 with Marie-Laure Delie scoring twice before the break.
Eugenie Le Sommer added a third in the second half, before Elena Morozova grabbed a late consolation.
Live text and stats
Friday, 12 July 2013
- Boquete 4
- Hermoso 85
- Bardsley (og) 90+5
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:56 The referee blows his whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+4:07 Assist on the goal came from Adriana Martin.
- 90:00+4:07 GOAL - Karen Bardsley:England 2 - 3 Spain Own goal by Karen Bardsley. England Ladies 2-3 Spain Ladies.
- 90:00+3:14 Adriana Martin produces a cross, save by Karen Bardsley.
- 90:00+0:26 Substitution Jess Clarke on for Rachel Yankey.
- 90:00+0:26 Veronica Boquete challenges Karen Bardsley unfairly and gives away a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Karen Bardsley.
- 89:55 The referee penalises Fara Williams for handball. Irene Paredes restarts play with the free kick.
- 88:19 The assist for the goal came from Anita Asante.
- 88:19 GOAL - Laura Bassett:England 2 - 2 Spain Laura Bassett scores a goal from inside the area to the bottom right corner of the goal. England Ladies 2-2 Spain Ladies.
- 87:47 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Rachel Yankey,
- 84:55 GOAL - Jennifer Hermoso:England 1 - 2 Spain Jennifer Hermoso gets on the score sheet with a fantastic goal from inside the box high into the middle of the goal. England
Ladies 1-2 Spain Ladies.
- 84:10 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Alexia Putellas, Karen Bardsley makes a save.
- 82:18 Alexia Putellas takes a shot. Karen Bardsley makes a comfortable save.
- 81:16 Karen Carney produces a cross, Close range shot by Ellen White goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 79:18 Free kick awarded for a foul by Veronica Boquete on Casey Stoney. Free kick taken by Karen Bardsley.
- 77:09 Free kick crossed right-footed by Elixabet Ibarra from right wing.
- 77:09 Booking Laura Bassett booked for unsporting behaviour.
- 76:56 Foul by Laura Bassett on Alexia Putellas, free kick awarded.
- 74:58 Alex Scott restarts play with the free kick.
- 74:58 Booking Irene Paredes receives a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 74:48 Anita Asante fouled by Irene Paredes, the ref awards a free kick.
- Correction - 73:49 Shot by Vicky Losada.
- 73:49 Vicky Losada takes a shot.
- 73:16 Substitution Sonia Bermudez leaves the field to be replaced by Alexia Putellas.
- 72:04 Substitution Karen Carney joins the action as a substitute, replacing Eniola Aluko.
- 71:33 Shot from just outside the box by Veronica Boquete goes over the bar.
- 70:42 Sonia Bermudez is caught offside. Karen Bardsley takes the free kick.
- 69:51 Veronica Boquete takes a shot. Save by Karen Bardsley.
- 68:07 Jill Scott crosses the ball, clearance by Veronica Boquete.
- 67:54 The ball is delivered by Rachel Yankey.
- 66:33 Jill Scott fouled by Jennifer Hermoso, the ref awards a free kick. Steph Houghton takes the indirect free kick.
- 66:11 Elixabet Ibarra concedes a free kick for a foul on Jill Scott. Indirect free kick taken by Laura Bassett.
- 64:49 Eniola Aluko takes a inswinging corner.
- 63:01 Shot from just outside the area by Vicky Losada goes over the bar.
- 60:39 Casey Stoney restarts play with the free kick.
- 60:39 Substitution Vicky Losada replaces Nagore Calderon.
- 60:39 Veronica Boquete is caught offside.
- 59:36 Fara Williams is ruled offside. Free kick taken by Tirapu Ainhoa.
- 57:10 The ball is sent over by Ellen White, comfortable save by Tirapu Ainhoa.
- 56:21 The assistant referee flags for offside against Sonia Bermudez. Laura Bassett restarts play with the free kick.
- 53:49 The official flags Ellen White offside. Free kick taken by Tirapu Ainhoa.
- 52:56 Rachel Yankey takes a shot. Blocked by Ruth Garcia.
- 51:32 Jill Scott concedes a free kick for a foul on Silvia Meseguer. Jennifer Hermoso takes the indirect free kick.
- 49:52 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Ellen White by Ruth Garcia. Indirect free kick taken by Alex Scott.
- 48:30 Adriana Martin has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the left of the target.
- 47:21 The ball is sent over by Sonia Bermudez, blocked by Laura Bassett.
- 45:33 Alex Scott crosses the ball, clearance made by Ruth Garcia.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:22 The match has reached half-time.
- 43:04 The official flags Sonia Bermudez offside. Indirect free kick taken by Casey Stoney.
- 42:47 Corner taken right-footed by Rachel Yankey, clearance by Ruth Garcia.
- 42:17 Corner taken right-footed by Rachel Yankey from the left by-line, save by Tirapu Ainhoa.
- 41:33 Ellen White takes a shot. Comfortable save by Tirapu Ainhoa.
- 37:57 Shot by Adriana Martin from deep inside the penalty area misses to the right of the target.
- 37:37 The ball is sent over by Rachel Yankey, clearance by Ruth Garcia.
- 36:08 Free kick awarded for a foul by Ruth Garcia on Rachel Yankey. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Rachel Yankey.
- 35:29 Steph Houghton takes the free kick.
- 35:29 Booking The referee books Nagore Calderon for unsporting behaviour.
- 35:24 Nagore Calderon challenges Rachel Yankey unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 29:28 Eniola Aluko challenges Jennifer Hermoso unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick crossed by Adriana Martin, Karen Bardsley
makes a comfortable save.
- 22:21 The ball is sent over by Rachel Yankey, Ellen White takes a shot. Tirapu Ainhoa makes a comfortable save.
- 20:35 Corner from the left by-line taken by Adriana Martin, Laura Bassett manages to make a clearance.
- 20:00 Sonia Bermudez takes a shot. Fantastic save by Tirapu Ainhoa.
- 15:32 Sonia Bermudez produces a left-footed shot from just outside the box that goes wide right of the goal.
- 12:51 Inswinging corner taken right-footed by Rachel Yankey from the right by-line, clearance by Tirapu Ainhoa.
- 12:28 Fara Williams takes a shot. Save by Tirapu Ainhoa.
- 11:01 Ruth Garcia fouled by Ellen White, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Ruth Garcia.
- 10:08 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Adriana Martin.
- 9:08 Free kick taken by Ruth Garcia. The ball is crossed by Adriana Martin, clearance by Casey Stoney.
- 7:15 Assist by Jill Scott.
- 7:15 GOAL - Eniola Aluko:England 1 - 1 Spain Eniola Aluko finds the net with a goal from deep inside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. England Ladies
1-1 Spain Ladies.
- 5:10 The referee blows for offside against Veronica Boquete. Indirect free kick taken by Laura Bassett.
- 3:48 The assist for the goal came from Sonia Bermudez.
- 3:48 GOAL - Veronica Boquete:England 0 - 1 Spain Veronica Boquete gets on the score sheet with a goal from deep inside the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal.
England Ladies 0-1 Spain Ladies.
- 1:49 Effort on goal by Adriana Martin from just inside the area clears the crossbar.
- 1:34 Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Sonia Bermudez.
- 0:00 The game kicks-off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.