England 1 - 1 Russia
Toni Duggan's injury-time goal earned England a Euro 2013 lifeline as they snatched a dramatic draw with Russia.
Jill Scott hit the post for England early on but Nelli Korovkina headed in following a deep cross to give Russia the lead before the break.
It looked all over after Duggan hit the bar late on but she then turned a shot into the corner in stoppage time.
Group C - Women's Euros 2013
England will probably need to beat France in their last group game if they want to reach the quarter-finals.
It is a huge demand heading into Thursday's Group C game as they have never beaten them under the current England coach Hope Powell, who has been in charge since 1998.
With three groups of four teams at Euro 2013, the top two in each qualifies for the quarter-finals and will be joined by the two best third-placed teams.
Until the final fixtures in Group A and B are completed on Tuesday and Wednesday, England will not know the exact permutations ahead of Group C's last round of matches.
France are currently top of Group C and assured of a place in the last eight after they defeated Spain 1-0 in Monday's later game, Wendie Renard finding the net after five minutes.
Earlier on, Powell's side were again lacklustre for periods in their match after losing their opener to Spain.
They created plenty of chances, but there seemed to be a spark missing and lack of composure in front of goal, before substitute Duggan saved her side.
Russia, the lowest ranked team in the tournament, looked bright in the first 10 minutes with Olga Petrova having a header saved and Korovkina curling wide from 20 yards.
But for the majority of the first half, it was England who were in the ascendancy as goalkeeper Elvira Todua tipped Jill Scott's stinging shot onto the post and Steph Houghton headed wide from a corner, even though she was just six yards out.
Despite an injury to Rachel Yankey, who was replaced by Karen Carney after 17 minutes, England continued to probe and Alex Scott almost crowned her 100th cap with a goal shortly after the half-hour mark.
How qualification works
- The top two teams in Group A, B and C are guaranteed a place in the Euro 2013 quarter-finals
- The two best third-placed teams in the three groups will also qualify for the last eight
- Should any teams finish level on points in their group, their head-to-head record will come into play before goal difference and then goals scored
In front of crowd of 3,629 it looked like it was only matter of time before England made the breakthrough but then seven minutes before the break, disaster struck.
Elena Morozova's deep cross from the left caught England's backline out, and once it was touched to Korovkina by Elena Terekhova, the Russian slotted home from close range.
Any optimism England could take into the break was immediately punctured and they looked like they were still recovering at the start of the second half despite Ellen White going close at the back post from Carney's cross.
The Arsenal forward was completely unmarked just three yards out but could not get her effort on target as the ball struck her shin before flying wide.
Duggan replaced Houghton as England attempted to claw their way back into the game but were perhaps fortunate when Alex Scott survived a penalty scare when she appeared to clip Ekaterina Sochneva.
England were walking a fine line and introduced Kelly Smith, who has not played since injuring her shin for Arsenal in March, but she seemed to inject more urgency into Powell's side.
And just as it appeared England were on the verge of heading home, Duggan latched onto Smith's deflected cross and fired left-footed into the bottom corner from 12 yards.
Live text and stats
Monday, 15 July 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Bardsley
- 02 Scott
- 03 Houghton (Duggan 64)
- 06 Stoney
- 15 Bassett
- 04 Scott
- 08 Asante
- 10 Williams yellow card
- 11 Yankey (Carney 17)
- 07 Aluko (Smith 79 yellow card)
- 09 White
- 13 Brown,
- 23 Chamberlain,
- 05 Bradley,
- 18 Susi,
- 19 Bonner,
- 21 Bronze,
- 12 Clarke,
- 16 Nobbs,
- 20 Moore,
- 14 Carney,
- 17 Duggan,
- 22 Smith
- 01 Todua
- 15 Kostyukova
- 18 Medved
- 19 Tsybutovich
- 05 Petrova
- 08 Savchenkova (Dyachkova 84)
- 10 Terekhova
- 13 Sidorovskaya
- 23 Morozova
- 11 Sochneva
- 20 Korovkina (Shlyapina 90)
- 12 Grichenko,
- 21 Shirokova,
- 02 Gordeeva,
- 16 Pertseva,
- 22 Makarenko,
- 03 Stepanenko,
- 04 Dyachkova,
- 06 Bessolova,
- 09 Pozdeeva,
- 14 Skotnikova,
- 07 Kurochkina,
- 17 Shlyapina
- England 55%
- Russia 45%
Attempts on target
- England 4
- Russia 5
Attempts off target
- England 12
- Russia 5
- England 7
- Russia 6
- England 15
- Russia 7
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:07 The game is over, as the referee blows his whistle.
- 90:00+3:38 Effort on goal by Fara Williams from outside the penalty box goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 90:00+2:19 GOAL - Toni Duggan:England 1 - 1 Russia Toni Duggan finds the back of the net with a goal from inside the penalty box to the bottom right corner of the goal. England Ladies 1-1 Russia Ladies.
- 90:00+1:47 Unfair challenge on Jill Scott by Elena Terekhova results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Jill Scott.
- 89:59 Shot by Toni Duggan.
- 89:14 Substitution Natalia Shlyapina on for Nelli Korovkina.
- 86:31 Free kick awarded for a foul by Laura Bassett on Elena Morozova. Olga Petrova has an effort direct from the free kick.
- 85:42 Nelli Korovkina takes a shot. Save by Karen Bardsley.
- 84:26 Ellen White has an effort from just inside the box that misses to the left of the goal.
- 83:36 Alla Sidorovskaya restarts play with the free kick.
- 83:36 Substitution Maria Dyachkova joins the action as a substitute, replacing Valentina Savchenkova.
- 83:36 Laura Bassett gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Anastasia Kostyukova.
- 80:47 Free kick awarded for a foul by Anita Asante on Alla Sidorovskaya. Alla Sidorovskaya takes the direct free kick.
- 80:15 The ball is crossed by Toni Duggan.
- 79:44 The ball is crossed by Elena Medved, Karen Bardsley makes a save.
- 78:36 Valentina Savchenkova has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 77:48 Direct free kick taken by Ksenia Tsybutovich.
- 77:48 Substitution (England Ladies) makes a substitution, with Kelly Smith coming on for Eniola Aluko.
- 77:48 Foul by Karen Carney on Nelli Korovkina, free kick awarded.
- 77:27 A cross is delivered by Alex Scott, Elvira Todua makes a comfortable save.
- 75:42 Ekaterina Sochneva crosses the ball.
- 74:36 Karen Carney challenges Ekaterina Sochneva unfairly and gives away a free kick. Elena Medved takes the direct free kick.
- 71:57 The assistant referee signals for offside against Elena Morozova. Alex Scott takes the direct free kick.
- 71:12 Eniola Aluko takes a shot from just inside the penalty box which clears the bar.
- 70:24 Fara Williams takes a shot. Save made by Elvira Todua.
- 68:52 Elena Terekhova has an effort at goal from just inside the box that misses to the right of the target.
- 68:00 The assistant referee signals for offside against Elena Morozova. Free kick taken by Laura Bassett.
- 67:30 Free kick awarded for a foul by Anastasia Kostyukova on Jill Scott. Casey Stoney restarts play with the free kick.
- 66:13 Elena Terekhova challenges Karen Carney unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick crossed right-footed by Karen Carney.
- 65:32 Alex Scott produces a cross.
- 64:09 Anita Asante concedes a free kick for a foul on Olga Petrova. Olga Petrova takes the free kick.
- 63:22 Substitution Toni Duggan is brought on as a substitute for Steph Houghton.
- 61:54 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Valentina Savchenkova from the right by-line to the near post, Karen Carney manages to make a clearance.
- 60:52 The ball is swung over by Fara Williams, save by Elvira Todua.
- 59:58 The ball is crossed by Karen Carney, Close range effort by Ellen White goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 59:20 The ball is delivered by Alex Scott, clearance made by Alla Sidorovskaya.
- 57:49 The official flags Elena Morozova offside. Direct free kick taken by Steph Houghton.
- 56:34 Ksenia Tsybutovich fouled by Casey Stoney, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Ksenia Tsybutovich.
- 54:52 Direct free kick taken by Alla Sidorovskaya.
- 54:52 Booking The referee cautions Fara Williams for unsporting behaviour.
- 54:39 Valentina Savchenkova fouled by Fara Williams, the ref awards a free kick.
- 54:05 Eniola Aluko decides to take the corner short. Centre by Eniola Aluko, blocked by Alla Sidorovskaya.
- 53:38 Inswinging corner taken from the left by-line by Karen Carney.
- 52:48 Steph Houghton takes the chance to get an effort at goal. Elvira Todua makes a save.
- 51:54 The assistant referee flags for offside against Elena Morozova. Direct free kick taken by Laura Bassett.
- 48:21 Karen Carney crosses the ball, save by Elvira Todua.
- 46:01 Unfair challenge on Anastasia Kostyukova by Fara Williams results in a free kick. Elvira Todua restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:26 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Fara Williams by Valentina Savchenkova. Eniola Aluko crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 45:01 The second half kicks off.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:12 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- 45:00+0:38 Karen Carney concedes a free kick for a foul on Valentina Savchenkova. Elena Medved takes the free kick.
- 44:39 Foul by Anastasia Kostyukova on Anita Asante, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Casey Stoney.
- 43:50 Shot by Alla Sidorovskaya. Save by Karen Bardsley.
- 43:19 Corner taken by Valentina Savchenkova from the right by-line.
- 42:37 Fara Williams gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Nelli Korovkina. Elena Medved restarts play with the free kick.
- 41:56 Foul by Fara Williams on Ekaterina Sochneva, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Elena Medved.
- 40:03 Karen Carney delivers the ball, clearance by Ksenia Tsybutovich.
- 37:42 The assist for the goal came from Elena Terekhova.
- 37:42 GOAL - Nelli Korovkina:England 0 - 1 Russia A goal is scored by Nelli Korovkina from inside the six-yard box to the bottom left corner of the goal. England Ladies 0-1 Russia Ladies.
- 37:34 Elena Morozova sends in a cross.
- 37:02 Eniola Aluko gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Olga Petrova. Free kick taken by Olga Petrova.
- 34:21 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Karen Carney by Ksenia Tsybutovich. Free kick crossed by Karen Carney, clearance made by Ksenia Tsybutovich. Corner taken by Karen Carney from the right by-line.
- 33:42 Olga Petrova has an effort at goal from outside the box which goes wide right of the goal.
- 32:49 Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Elena Morozova from the right by-line, Steph Houghton manages to make a clearance.
- 32:07 The ball is crossed by Eniola Aluko, Shot by Alex Scott from deep inside the penalty area misses wide to the left of the target.
- 31:39 Valentina Savchenkova takes a corner.
- 30:51 Foul by Jill Scott on Elena Medved, free kick awarded. Elena Medved takes the direct free kick.
- 30:00 Shot from just outside the box by Ellen White misses to the right of the target.
- 29:31 Steph Houghton takes a shot. Save made by Elvira Todua.
- 25:55 Alex Scott fouled by Elena Terekhova, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Alex Scott.
- 24:22 The ball is sent over by Steph Houghton, Elvira Todua makes a save.
- 22:17 Ekaterina Sochneva has an effort at goal from long distance that goes wide left.
- 21:05 Corner taken by Karen Carney, Steph Houghton has a headed effort at goal from close in which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 19:53 Corner taken right-footed by Valentina Savchenkova from the right by-line to the near post, Steph Houghton makes a clearance.
- 18:14 The ball is swung over by Karen Carney, Elvira Todua makes a comfortable save.
- 16:59 Substitution Karen Carney comes on in place of Rachel Yankey.
- 13:53 Fara Williams has an effort at goal from just outside the penalty box which goes wide of the left-hand post.
- 13:09 Jill Scott produces a cross, Headed effort on goal by Ellen White from inside the penalty box misses to the right of the target.
- 10:55 Nelli Korovkina has an effort at goal from outside the box which misses left.
- 9:44 Corner from right by-line taken by Rachel Yankey.
- 9:06 Rachel Yankey produces a cross, Anastasia Kostyukova makes a clearance. Jill Scott produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the area and hits the post.
- 8:20 Corner taken left-footed by Rachel Yankey to the near post, save made by Elvira Todua.
- 7:35 Centre by Eniola Aluko.
- 5:32 The ball is crossed by Rachel Yankey, clearance by Alla Sidorovskaya.
- 5:03 Outswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Eniola Aluko.
- 4:42 Centre by Eniola Aluko, clearance by Ksenia Tsybutovich.
- 4:08 Olga Petrova takes a shot. Save by Karen Bardsley.
- 2:40 Corner taken by Valentina Savchenkova from the left by-line played to the near post, clearance made by Alex Scott.
- 1:49 Ellen White produces a right-footed shot from inside the area that goes over the bar.
- 0:41 Jill Scott gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Valentina Savchenkova. Elena Terekhova takes the free kick.
- 0:21 Elena Terekhova produces a cross, save made by Karen Bardsley.
- 0:00 The match has kicked off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.