Wilfried Bony struck twice in his first competitive game for Swansea City as they took control of their Europa League tie against Swedish side Malmo.
Michu took advantage of a slip from Filip Helander to curl home the first.
Bony headed in before poking in after Michu's shot hit the post.
A fourth goal from Alejandro Pozuelo - one of five new signings who made their debuts - gave the hosts a huge advantage for next Thursday's second leg of this third-round encounter.
As well as the result, Swansea manager Michael Laudrup will be equally as pleased with the way his new signings appear to be gelling.
Wilfried Bony in the flesh
6ft 0in (182 cm)
13st 12lbs (88 kg)
Issia Wazi, Sparta Prague, Vitesse Arnhem, Swansea City
- International career:
20 appearances for Ivory Coast (8 goals)
Bony took his two goals well and interchanged impressively with last season's top scorer Michu, who is now able to pounce from an advanced midfield role with Jonjo Shelvey,
signed from Liverpool,
driving on the
Capital One Cup winners
from a more holding role.
In defence Jordi Amat,
a £2.5m signing from Espanyol,
snapped in the tackle and looks to be useful back-up to first-choice pairing Ashley Williams and Chico Flores, who was fit enough to be named on the bench after recovering from an injury sustained during pre-season.
Swansea were making their return to European competition after a 22-year absence, partly due to Uefa's ban on Welsh clubs in the English football pyramid representing Wales and also because of
the club falling on hard times.
Back in the 1991-92 season the Swans were in the old Third Division and suffered a 10-1 aggregate defeat when they came up against French giants Monaco in the European Cup Winners' Cup first round.
Laudrup's side are now firmly established in the Premier League and the Dane was able to field
club record £12m signing Bony
for his competitive debut, the Ivorian taking the target man role in attack.
Malmo arrived in south Wales already battle-hardened, 17 games into a season that sees them second in the Allsvenskan and having
thumped Scottish Premier League side Hibernian 9-0 on aggregate
in the previous round.
But Swansea soon settled into their smooth passing rhythm, although Malmo looked comfortable conceding possession and waiting for the opportunity to counter with Tokelo Rantie looking particularly dangerous on the left wing.
Swansea City in Europe
- Before their 4-0 victory against Malmo, Swansea had only won three previous games in European competition
- Swansea's highest aggregate win came in the 1982-83 Cup Winners' Cup when they beat Maltese side Sliema Wanderers 17-0 over two legs
- Swansea's record aggregate defeat is 10-1, handed out by Monaco in their last European outing in the 1991-92 Cup Winners' Cup
Despite Malmo defending deep, Swansea's pacey forwards were lurking on the shoulders of the defenders and Nathan Dyer stole in behind from Williams's long pass to force a smart reaction save from Johan Dahlin.
But the Malmo goalkeeper was given little chance when Michu opened the scoring on 37 minutes, curling the ball in off the far post after Helander had slipped trying to intercept Wayne Routledge's pass.
Malmo troubled Swansea after the restart, first Jiloan Hamad sending a free-kick just wide after good work by South African winger Rantie and then Magnus Eriksson having a decent penalty appeal turned down after Amat seemed to make contact.
But just as the Swedes were showing signs that they could claim an away goal, Swansea hit them twice in quick succession.
Ben Davies snapped into a tackle in midfield to win the ball and Angel Rangel picked a first-time pass into the feet of Michu, only for the Spaniard to hit the far post.
But Bony had been following up and stabbed the ball into the net for his first goal for his new side.
The Ivory Coast striker doubled his tally within four minutes, pulling off his marker to flick a header into the far corner when Routledge served up a delicious chipped cross.
Four minutes from the end midfielder Pozuelo,
signed from Real Betis,
came off the bench to surely put the tie beyond Malmo, taking a return pass off Bony to mark his own debut with Swansea's fourth.
Live text and stats
Thursday, 1 August 2013
Europa Lge qualifying
- Michu 37
- Bony 55
- Bony 60
- Pozuelo 86
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:14 The referee blows for the end of the match.
- 90:00+2:36 Shot by Wilfried Bony went wide left of the goal.
- 90:00+1:45 Alejandro Pozuelo takes a shot. Blocked by Wayne Routledge.
- 85:11 Assist on the goal came from Wilfried Bony.
- 85:11 GOAL - Alejandro Pozuelo:Swansea 4 - 0 Malmo Alejandro Pozuelo scores with their right foot. Swansea 4-0 Malmo FF.
- 83:58 Jonjo Shelvey takes a shot.
- 82:15 Corner from the left by-line taken by Simon Thern. Clearance by Jonjo Shelvey.
- 81:23 Free kick taken by Simon Thern.
- 81:23 Substitution Jiloan Hamad goes off and Simon Kroon comes on.
- 81:23 The referee gives a free kick against Alejandro Pozuelo for handball.
- 79:23 Substitution Jose Alberto Canas on for Leon Britton.
- 79:01 Jonjo Shelvey takes the chance to get an effort at goal. Johan Dahlin catches the ball.
- 75:49 Substitution Erik Johansson joins the action as a substitute, replacing Magnus Eriksson.
- 75:04 Jonjo Shelvey takes a shot. Johan Dahlin parries the ball but the danger is not over.
- 74:36 Shot by Alejandro Pozuelo missed to the right of the net.
- 72:51 Jiloan Hamad takes a shot.
- 72:12 Substitution Nathan Dyer goes off and Alejandro Pozuelo comes on.
- 70:02 Jonjo Shelvey challenges Filip Helander unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Filip Helander.
- 66:49 Filip Helander takes the free kick.
- 66:49 Substitution Emil Forsberg joins the action as a substitute, replacing Erik Friberg.
- 66:49 Free kick awarded for a foul by Leon Britton on Magnus Eriksson.
- 65:39 Substitution Jonathan de Guzman comes on in place of Miguel Michu.
- 64:10 Booking
- 64:06 Erik Friberg gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Wilfried Bony. Erik Friberg is cautioned by the ref for unsporting
behaviour. Leon Britton takes the free kick.
- 63:26 Jordi Amat gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Magnus Eriksson. Simon Thern takes the free kick.
- 60:52 Jonjo Shelvey takes a shot and missed to the right of the target.
- 59:02 Assist on the goal came from Miguel Michu.
- 59:02 GOAL - Wilfried Bony:Swansea 3 - 0 Malmo Wilfried Bony slots the ball left footed into the goal. Swansea 3-0 Malmo FF.
- 58:48 Miguel Michu takes a shot.
- 57:31 Wayne Routledge produces a cross. Header at goal by Miguel Michu goes over the bar.
- 56:51 Booking
- 56:01 Booking
- 55:57 Unfair challenge on Jordi Amat by Magnus Eriksson results in a free kick. Caution for Magnus Eriksson. Free kick taken by
Jordi Amat. Nathan Dyer fouled by Ferreira Ricardinho, the ref awards a free kick. Ferreira Ricardinho is booked. Jonjo Shelvey
crosses the ball in from the free kick. Clearance made by Pontus Jansson.
- 54:37 Assist on the goal came from Wayne Routledge.
- 54:37 GOAL - Wilfried Bony:Swansea 2 - 0 Malmo Wilfried Bony grabs a goal with a headed effort. Swansea 2-0 Malmo FF.
- 50:15 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jiloan Hamad by Ben Davies. Free kick taken by Miiko Albornoz.
- 49:47 Magnus Eriksson fouled by Ashley Williams, the ref awards a free kick. Erik Friberg restarts play with the free kick.
- 46:34 Booking
- 46:24 Foul by Jordi Amat on Tokelo Rantie, free kick awarded. Booking for Jordi Amat. Jiloan Hamad shoots direct from the free kick
and clears the bar.
- 45:01 The referee blows the whistle to start the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:04 The match has reached half-time.
- 42:38 Magnus Eriksson fouled by Wilfried Bony, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Erik Friberg.
- 41:15 Corner from the left by-line taken by Jiloan Hamad. Clearance made by Wilfried Bony.
- 38:19 Wayne Routledge is penalised for handball and concedes a free kick. Johan Dahlin restarts play with the free kick.
- 38:03 Corner from the left by-line taken by Jonjo Shelvey. Pontus Jansson makes a clearance.
- 37:51 Wayne Routledge takes a shot. Pontus Jansson gets a block in.
- 36:02 Assist on the goal came from Wayne Routledge.
- 36:02 GOAL - Miguel Michu:Swansea 1 - 0 Malmo Miguel Michu slots the ball left footed into the goal. Swansea 1-0 Malmo FF.
- 34:11 Shot by Miguel Michu cleared the net.
- 32:48 Jiloan Hamad takes a weak shot and went wide right of the goal.
- 32:06 Filip Helander concedes a free kick for a foul on Nathan Dyer. Leon Britton takes the free kick.
- 29:14 Nathan Dyer takes a shot. A parry by Johan Dahlin prevents the goal.
- 28:40 Free kick awarded for a foul by Erik Friberg on Wilfried Bony. Ben Davies takes the free kick.
- 28:07 Ben Davies challenges Jiloan Hamad unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Erik Friberg.
- 27:05 Jonjo Shelvey has an effort at goal and missed to the left of the goal.
- 25:33 The official flags Tokelo Rantie offside. Ashley Williams takes the free kick.
- 19:49 Corner taken by Jonjo Shelvey. Johan Dahlin gets a fist to the ball to punch .
- 19:20 Jiloan Hamad gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Wayne Routledge. Ben Davies restarts play with the free kick.
- 14:07 The referee blows for offside. Filip Helander takes the free kick.
- 11:18 Foul by Markus Halsti on Ben Davies, free kick awarded. Ashley Williams takes the free kick.
- 7:28 A cross is delivered by Jonjo Shelvey. Filip Helander makes a clearance. Angel Rangel crosses the ball. Johan Dahlin catches
- 5:00 The ball is swung over by Angel Rangel. Header by Ashley Williams misses right.
- Correction - 4:25 Corner taken by Jonjo Shelvey. Clearance by Filip Helander.
- 4:25 Corner taken by Jonjo Shelvey. Clearance made by Markus Halsti.
- 1:52 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Simon Thern by Angel Rangel. Johan Dahlin takes the free kick.
- 1:28 Unfair challenge on Ashley Williams by Erik Friberg results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Jonjo Shelvey.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to begin the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.