Inverness CT 3 - 0 St Mirren
Inverness opened their Scottish Premiership campaign with a home win against St Mirren.
St Mirren captain Jim Goodwin came closest to opening the scoring in the first half, his powerful free-kick striking the outside of the post.
A David van Zanten handball gave the hosts a penalty and James Vincent was successful from 12 yards.
Close range efforts by Aaron Doran and Billy McKay stretched the Inverness lead before van Zanten was sent off.
After finishing fourth in last season's top flight and narrowly missing out on European qualification, Terry Butcher's Inverness welcomed a St Mirren side who had ended the previous campaign second bottom, albeit with the Scottish League Cup sitting in the trophy cabinet.
And it was the Buddies who were prominent in the early stages, with summer signing Gary Harkins keen to make an impression.
The midfielder tested Inverness goalkeeper Dean Brill twice in the opening minutes and St Mirren defender Marc McAusland came forward to send an effort wide.
Graeme Shinnie could not convert with a decent chance for Inverness and Aaron Doran should have found the net after being played in by Vincent.
Brill continued to be the busier of the two keepers, with Steven Thompson also denied by Caley Thistle's summer signing.
Goodwin sought to break the deadlock following a foul around 25 yards out but the midfielder was left disappointed as his strike hit the post on its way out.
The second half was still young when referee Kevin Clancy pointed to the spot, with St Mirren's David van Zanten adjudged to have used his arm to block Vincent's shot.
Debutant Vincent confidently converted and the Highlanders were soon two ahead.
Doran rolled the ball into the net after being presented with the ball by new St Mirren goalkeeper David Cornell's poor clearance.
St Mirren's day went from bad to worse when McKay headed home a David Raven cross and there was still more misery to come for the visitors.
Van Zanten had been booked in the wake of the penalty award and a foul on Nick Ross resulted in a second caution and an early end to the match for the defender.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 3 August 2013
Scottish Premier League
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|Inverness CT||3-0||St Mirren||FT|
- 12 Brill
- 02 Raven
- 03 Shinnie
- 06 Meekings
- 08 Draper
- 09 Foran
- 10 Doran
- 11 Ross
- 04 Vincent
- 07 McKay
- 01 Esson,
- 14 Devine,
- 18 Tremarco,
- 17 Greenhalgh,
- 19 Williams,
- 20 Polworth,
- 23 Agdestein
- 01 Cornell
- 02 van Zanten
- 06 Goodwin
- 14 McAusland
- 07 McGinn yellow card
- 08 Harkins
- 10 McGowan yellow card
- 17 Reilly
- 21 Teale
- 09 Thompson yellow card
- 30 Dilo,
- 04 McGregor,
- 22 Naismith,
- 20 Dillon,
- 26 Brady
- Inverness CT 59%
- St Mirren 41%
Attempts on target
- Inverness CT 2
- St Mirren 2
Attempts off target
- Inverness CT 4
- St Mirren 4
- Inverness CT 1
- St Mirren 2
- Inverness CT 8
- St Mirren 8
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:31 The ref blows to signal half-time.
- 45:00+0:17 Free kick taken by David Cornell.
- 44:51 The assistant referee signals for offside against Billy McKay.
- 44:46 Dean Brill restarts play with the free kick.
- 44:22 Paul McGowan is cautioned.
- Correction - 44:22 Booking
- Correction - 44:22 Paul McGowan booked.
- 44:11 Free kick awarded for a foul by Paul McGowan on Ross Draper.
- 43:40 manages to make a clearance.
- 43:34 Free kick taken by David van Zanten.
- 43:00 Josh Meekings gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Steven Thompson.
- 41:26 Headed chance falls to Billy McKay. David Cornell makes a block.
- 41:16 Aaron Doran crosses the ball.
- 40:20 Dean Brill restarts play with the free kick.
- Correction - 40:03 John McGinn receives a yellow card.
- 40:03 John McGinn is shown a yellow card.
- Correction - 40:03 Booking
- Correction - 39:59 John McGinn challenges Richie Foran unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 39:59 Unfair challenge on Richie Foran by John McGinn results in a free kick.
- 39:01 Jim Goodwin takes the free kick.
- Correction - 38:38 booked for unsporting behaviour.
- 38:38 booked.
- Correction - 38:38 Booking
- 38:34 Free kick awarded for a foul by on John McGinn.
- 36:17 John McGinn takes the chance to get an effort at goal and missed to the right of the target.
- 32:58 Shot by Gary Harkins went wide right of the target.
- 31:16 Jim Goodwin fires a strike on goal direct from the free kick which comes back off the post.
- 30:36 Foul by Ross Draper on John McGinn, free kick awarded.
- 30:26 Marc McAusland restarts play with the free kick.
- 30:10 Foul by Billy McKay on Marc McAusland, free kick awarded.
- 29:15 James Vincent has an effort at goal and missed to the left of the target.
- 28:58 Daniel Grainger restarts play with the free kick.
- 28:48 Josh Meekings concedes a free kick for a foul on Paul McGowan.
- 28:12 Free kick taken by Richie Foran.
- 28:04 Jim Goodwin challenges Billy McKay unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 27:30 Dean Brill takes the free kick.
- Correction - 27:03 The referee shows Steven Thompson a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 27:03 Steven Thompson shown a yellow card.
- Correction - 27:03 Booking
- Correction - 26:57 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on by Steven Thompson.
- 26:57 fouled by Steven Thompson, the ref awards a free kick.
- 26:41 Marc McAusland restarts play with the free kick.
- 26:30 The official flags Billy McKay offside.
- 24:31 Richie Foran manages to make a clearance.
- 24:08 makes a clearance.
- 24:01 Corner taken by Daniel Grainger.
- 22:05 Shot by Nick Ross went over the bar.
- 19:01 David Raven restarts play with the free kick.
- 18:41 John McGinn concedes a free kick for a foul on Aaron Doran.
- 18:04 Jim Goodwin takes the free kick.
- 17:52 Aaron Doran concedes a free kick for a foul on Daniel Grainger.
- 15:05 Free kick taken by Dean Brill.
- 14:46 Steven Thompson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Josh Meekings.
- 13:40 Shot by Marc McAusland went over the crossbar.
- 13:19 Richie Foran makes a clearance.
- 13:12 Daniel Grainger crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 13:03 Ross Draper concedes a free kick for a foul on Daniel Grainger.
- 12:11 Clearance by Jim Goodwin.
- 12:07 Corner from the left by-line taken by Aaron Doran.
- 9:35 Free kick crossed by David Raven.
- 9:15 Foul by Jim Goodwin on Billy McKay, free kick awarded.
- 8:44 Dean Brill restarts play with the free kick.
- 8:37 The official flags Steven Thompson offside.
- 8:18 Paul McGowan takes a shot. Dean Brill parries the ball away.
- Correction - 6:58 Billy McKay takes a shot. Blocked by Jim Goodwin.
- 6:58 Billy McKay has an effort at goal. David Cornell parries the ball away.
- 4:30 Aaron Doran has an effort at goal and missed to the left of the net.
- 3:15 David Cornell takes the free kick.
- 3:06 Free kick awarded for a foul by Billy McKay on Jim Goodwin.
- 2:49 Free kick taken by Graeme Shinnie.
- 2:42 Gary Teale concedes a free kick for a foul on Graeme Shinnie.
- Correction - 2:07 Shot by Graeme Shinnie. David Cornell catches the ball.
- 2:07 Graeme Shinnie has an effort at goal.
- 1:33 Josh Meekings manages to make a clearance.
- 1:25 Corner taken by Daniel Grainger from the left by-line.
- 1:04 John McGinn takes a shot. Dean Brill turns it away with a finger tip save.
- 0:00 The referee starts the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
CommentsJump to comments pagination
Comment number 20.Thomaso
5th August 2013 - 14:20
Comment number 19.NUFC Till I Die
4th August 2013 - 16:58
Comment number 18.IvanBunin77
4th August 2013 - 15:59
Comment number 17.Alan Moderated
4th August 2013 - 13:03
Comment number 16.ZimmerBear
4th August 2013 - 13:03