QPR 2 - 1 Sheffield Wed
QPR scored twice in three first-half minutes as they came from behind to beat Sheffield Wednesday.
Atdhe Nuhiu netted a low shot to put the visitors ahead on his debut.
But Nedum Onuoha scored his first goal for the London club when he turned the ball home from inside the area, and Andrew Johnson volleyed in soon after.
Wednesday's Jacques Maghoma had a penalty claim turned down after the break when Joey Barton appeared to trip him and later hit the post with a shot.
QPR's high hopes
Fifteen teams have managed an immediate return to the Premier League since its inception in 1992
After relegation from the Premier League last season, QPR were given a reminder of just how frantic England's second tier can be in an exciting affair.
There were six changes from QPR boss Harry Redknapp since his side's last Premier League game against Liverpool in May, with the likes of Loic Remy, Park Ji-sung and Stephane Mbia absent with their futures at the club uncertain.
But perhaps the most surprising change was the inclusion of Barton, who had not played for the club since his red card against Manchester City on the final day of the 2011-12 season.
The English midfielder, who spent last season on loan at Marseille, claimed there was an agreement for him to stay with the French club on a permanent basis and tweeted earlier this summer that "I will not be playing in the Championship next season".
But no such deal has materialised and Barton was back in the blue and white hoops of the London side alongside new signing Karl Henry in the centre of midfield.
Barton's display will have Redknapp thinking he could be a valuable asset in the Championship, despite some second-half drama.
This was just Sheffield Wednesday's second defeat on the opening day of the season in the last nine years, with the last coming in 2007
QPR's incisive play early on was finding gaps in Sheffield Wednesday's defence, with Johnson firing a deflected effort just wide before Owls goalkeeper Chris Kirkland saved from the ex-Fulham striker.
But just when it looked like QPR would find a breakthrough, they were caught out at the other end as former Austria Under-21 frontman Nuhiu bustled clear before hitting a low effort past Rob Green in the home goal.
Kirkland could do nothing to stop Onuoha getting his first goal for Rangers as the former Manchester City defender turned home Junior Hoilett's shot to level the game in the 40th minute.
Dave Jones's Owls were caught out again three minutes later as Kirkland saved from Barton at the back post, but the ball broke to Johnson and he volleyed home.
After impressing in the first half by creating a number of chances, Barton was booked after the break by referee Scott Mathieson for a late challenge on Jeremy Helan before he escaped a second - and a red card - moments later.
Mathieson adjudged Maghoma to have dived in the area despite replays showing contact from Barton.
Maghoma's misery was added to when he hit the post with a low strike before Charlie Austin made his debut for the hosts following his move from Burnley on Thursday, but the closest he came to opening his account was a header that flew over.
QPR manager Harry Redknapp told the club website:
"I thought we showed fantastic attitude and commitment to come from a goal down to get in front as we did.
"They had chances and look a decent team. Dave's put a good team together this year.
"But it was a great performance from us - we were first class."
Sheffield Wednesday manager Dave Jones told the club website:
"It is fine lines and you want the big decisions to be the right ones. Unfortunately, it didn't go our way today and it is really disappointing.
"It could have gone either way and we certainly deserved something from the game.
"We've switched off for a crucial spell of the game and you can't do that."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 3 August 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Green
- 02 Simpson
- 03 Traore
- 06 Hill
- 15 Onuoha
- 17 Barton
- 20 Henry
- 23 Hoilett
- 32 Faurlin
- 08 Johnson
- 25 Zamora
- 26 Murphy,
- 05 Dunne,
- 13 Suk-Young Yun,
- 04 Derry,
- 11 Wright-Phillips,
- 16 Jenas,
- 09 Austin
- 01 Kirkland
- 04 Gardner
- 05 Zayatte
- 19 Mattock (Maghoma 37)
- 22 Palmer yellow card
- 11 J Johnson
- 12 Prutton
- 14 Coke
- 34 Nuhiu
- 07 Antonio
- 17 Helan
- 13 Davies,
- 06 Semedo,
- 15 Taylor,
- 32 Llera,
- 10 Maghoma,
- 16 McCabe,
- 09 Madine
- QPR 55%
- Sheffield Wed 45%
Attempts on target
- QPR 10
- Sheffield Wed 1
Attempts off target
- QPR 5
- Sheffield Wed 8
- QPR 6
- Sheffield Wed 1
- QPR 10
- Sheffield Wed 11
- 90:00+2:26 Jermaine Jenas crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 90:00+2:20 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Shaun Wright-Phillips by Jacques Maghoma.
- 89:54 Free kick crossed by Shaun Wright-Phillips.
- 89:21 Foul by Jeremy Helan on Shaun Wright-Phillips, free kick awarded.
- 88:31 Clint Hill concedes a free kick for a foul on Michail Antonio.
- 87:55 Substitution Jermaine Jenas is brought on as a substitute for David Hoilett.
- 87:35 Header by Charlie Austin goes over the bar.
- 86:48 Armand Traore produces a cross.
- 84:16 David Hoilett takes a shot. Chris Kirkland parries the ball away.
- 82:34 Rob Green restarts play with the free kick.
- 82:03 Unfair challenge on Alejandro Faurlin by Michail Antonio results in a free kick.
- 80:46 Clearance by Liam Palmer.
- 80:31 Corner taken by Alejandro Faurlin from the right by-line.
- 79:53 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Armand Traore by Jermaine Johnson.
- 79:19 Substitution Shaun Wright-Phillips is brought on as a substitute for Joey Barton.
- 76:37 Substitution Atdhe Nuhiu goes off and Gary Madine comes on.
- 75:56 The assistant referee flags for offside against Charlie Austin.
- 75:12 Charlie Austin heads at goal. Chris Kirkland safely holds on.
- 72:02 Jacques Maghoma takes a shot and bounces off the post.
- 70:32 Chris Kirkland takes the free kick.
- 70:08 Charlie Austin gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Liam Palmer.
- 69:17 Rob Green restarts play with the free kick.
- 69:08 Substitution Giles Coke leaves the field to be replaced by Rhys McCabe.
- 68:39 Substitution Charlie Austin is brought on as a substitute for Bobby Zamora.
- 68:08 Alejandro Faurlin fouled by Michail Antonio, the ref awards a free kick.
- 66:08 Chris Kirkland takes the free kick.
- 65:35 Bobby Zamora concedes a free kick for a foul on Kamil Zayatte.
- 61:08 Michail Antonio takes the chance to get an effort at goal and missed to the right of the goal.
- 58:19 Clearance made by Nedum Onuoha.
- 58:02 Corner taken by Jacques Maghoma.
- 57:31 Rob Green takes the free kick.
- 56:54 Jacques Maghoma receives a yellow card.
- 56:54 Booking
- 56:01 Joey Barton is given a yellow card.
- 56:01 Booking
- 55:56 Foul by Joey Barton on Jeremy Helan, free kick awarded.
- 52:21 Kamil Zayatte restarts play with the free kick.
- 52:10 Bobby Zamora is flagged offside by the assistant referee.
- 51:29 Clearance by Liam Palmer.
- 51:22 Corner taken by Joey Barton from the right by-line.
- 49:32 Corner from the left by-line taken by Joey Barton.
- 48:44 Michail Antonio takes a shot and cleared the net.
- 48:21 Atdhe Nuhiu manages to make a clearance.
- 48:02 Corner taken by Joey Barton from the left by-line.
- 47:41 David Hoilett takes the chance to get an effort at goal. A parry by Chris Kirkland prevents the goal.
- 47:09 Jeremy Helan crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 46:36 Joey Barton concedes a free kick for a foul on Michail Antonio.
- 45:45 Shot by Jermaine Johnson missed to the left of the net.
- Half Time
- 45:00+5:27 The ref blows to end the first period.
- 45:00+3:51 Rob Green restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:00+3:35 The referee blows for offside against Jermaine Johnson.
- 45:00+2:36 Free kick taken by Chris Kirkland.
- 45:00+2:23 David Prutton fouled by Joey Barton, the ref awards a free kick.
- 45:00+1:59 Clint Hill takes the free kick.
- 45:00+1:45 Unfair challenge on Nedum Onuoha by Atdhe Nuhiu results in a free kick.
- 44:15 The referee blows for offside.
- 43:20 David Hoilett takes the chance to get an effort at goal and missed to the right of the target.
- 42:37 GOAL - Andrew Johnson:QPR 2 - 1 Sheffield Wed Andrew Johnson slots the ball right footed into the goal. QPR 2-1 Sheff Wed.
- 42:10 Joey Barton heads at goal. Parried by Chris Kirkland back into danger.
- 40:50 Header at goal by Clint Hill. Chris Kirkland safely holds on.
- 39:09 David Hoilett provided the assist for the goal.
- 39:09 GOAL - Nedum Onuoha:QPR 1 - 1 Sheffield Wed Nedum Onuoha grabs a goal with a right foot finish. QPR 1-1 Sheff Wed.
- 38:05 Free kick taken by Kamil Zayatte.
- 37:59 Unfair challenge on Michail Antonio by Alejandro Faurlin results in a free kick.
- 36:13 Substitution Jacques Maghoma is brought on as a substitute for Joe Mattock.
- 35:53 Header by Michail Antonio misses to the right of the target.
- 34:43 Andrew Johnson crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 34:33 Joe Mattock challenges Andrew Johnson unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 33:56 Bobby Zamora has an effort at goal. A parry by Chris Kirkland prevents the goal.
- 28:38 Atdhe Nuhiu has an effort at goal and missed to the right of the target.
- 28:05 Shot by David Hoilett cleared the target.
- 24:52 Free kick awarded for a foul by Joe Mattock on Joey Barton.
- 23:32 Atdhe Nuhiu gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Nedum Onuoha.
- 19:59 Liam Palmer booked.
- 19:59 Booking
- 19:52 Foul by Liam Palmer on David Hoilett, free kick awarded.
- 18:13 GOAL - Atdhe Nuhiu:QPR 0 - 1 Sheffield Wed Atdhe Nuhiu slots the ball left footed into the goal. QPR 0-1 Sheff Wed.
- 17:32 Nedum Onuoha gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Atdhe Nuhiu.
- 14:22 The referee penalises Alejandro Faurlin for handball.
- 13:35 Atdhe Nuhiu challenges Armand Traore unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 12:31 Atdhe Nuhiu takes a shot and missed to the right of the net.
- 11:44 David Hoilett takes a shot and missed to the left of the target.
- 11:27 Shot by Atdhe Nuhiu missed to the left of goal.
- 10:05 Corner taken by Alejandro Faurlin from the right by-line.
- 9:06 Shot by Andrew Johnson. Chris Kirkland parries the ball away.
- 8:39 Corner from the left by-line taken by Joey Barton.
- 7:26 Andrew Johnson produces a strike on goal direct from the free kick.
- 7:05 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Kamil Zayatte by Bobby Zamora.
- 4:48 David Hoilett takes a shot and went wide right of the target.
- 2:44 Bobby Zamora concedes a free kick for a foul on Anthony Gardner.
- 0:00 The game gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.