Watford 6 - 1 Bournemouth
Troy Deeney fired in a hat-trick as Watford thrashed newly promoted Bournemouth to go top of the table.
Gabriele Angella - a summer signing from Udinese - opened the scoring when he scrambled in from close range.
Bournemouth levelled when Ryan Fraser crossed for Lewis Grabban to convert, before Angella headed his second and Deeney scored via a deflection.
Lewis McGugan slotted in and Deeney smashed in from 20 yards before completing his treble with a penalty.
Troy Deeney is the first Watford player to score a hat-trick at Vicarage Road since Kevin Phillips on 1 March 1997
Deeney missed the start of last season after spending three months in prison but returned to score 20 goals and help Gianfranco Zola's side to the play-off final.
He was decisive again as the Hornets proved too strong for Bournemouth - who were the better side for large periods of the first half.
Sloppy defending allowed Angella to hook Watford ahead but the visitors' spirited response was rewarded when the lively Fraser burst into the penalty area and squared for Grabban to slide home his third of the season.
Watford were much improved after the interval though as Angella again escaped his marker to meet Almen Abdi's free-kick with a powerful header, before Deeney ran on to a neat through-pass to fire across Ryan Allsop and in with the aid of a deflection.
McGugan added the fourth with a neat finish from an angle for his first goal since joining from Nottingham Forest in the summer, before Deeney's spectacular second.
The striker took the ball on his chest and shrugged off two challenges to score from the edge of the area.
Deeney then completed the scoring in stoppage time when he steered home from the spot after Diego Fabbrini was tripped.
Watford manager Gianfranco Zola:
"Bournemouth probably didn't deserve to lose 6-1 because especially in the first half they played well and they played in the right way.
"In the second half my team really put a good performance in and it was just what they needed because otherwise it was going to be difficult.
"We changed gears because in the first half we were playing under rhythm and we pushed a little bit higher up the pitch and that made it more difficult for them."
Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe:
"If we're guilty of anything it was still chasing the game at 3-1.
"We felt we could still try and get back into it but they were ruthless in exposing that and we were a little bit naive towards the end where we kept giving the ball back to Watford and you can't do that against a good team.
"I always knew it was going to be a huge step up for our squad and for everyone at the club.
"If you look at our history we've hardly played in the Championship and history is always a good gauge and this is a big step up."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 10 August 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Almunia
- 04 Angella
- 12 Doyley
- 27 Cassetti yellow card
- 10 McGugan (Battocchio 75)
- 19 Faraoni yellow card (Pudil 65)
- 21 Anya
- 22 Abdi
- 23 Iriney
- 09 Deeney
- 11 Forestieri (Fabbrini 68)
- 30 Bond,
- 06 Ekstrand,
- 18 Pudil,
- 07 Battocchio,
- 15 Acuna,
- 20 Fabbrini,
- 28 Smith
- 01 Allsop
- 02 Francis
- 03 Cook
- 11 Daniels (Harte 55)
- 22 Ward
- 04 Surman
- 08 Arter yellow card
- 16 MacDonald (Pitman 61)
- 07 Pugh (O'Kane 69)
- 09 Grabban
- 20 Fraser
- 25 Flahavan,
- 14 Harte,
- 26 Hughes,
- 32 O'Kane,
- 10 Pitman,
- 15 Thomas,
- 29 Stockley
- Watford 34%
- Bournemouth 66%
Attempts on target
- Watford 11
- Bournemouth 4
Attempts off target
- Watford 3
- Bournemouth 4
- Watford 2
- Bournemouth 4
- Watford 9
- Bournemouth 7
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:11 The referee ends the match.
- 90:00+1:42 GOAL - Troy Deeney:Watford 6 - 1 Bournemouth Penalty scored by Troy Deeney. Watford 6-1 Bournemouth.
- 90:00+1:15 Penalty awarded for an unfair challenge on Diego Fabbrini by Ryan Fraser.
- 90:00+1:08 Elliott Ward makes a clearance.
- 90:00+1:00 Corner taken by Santos Iriney from the left by-line.
- 90:00+0:13 Elliott Ward makes a clearance.
- 89:58 Ikechi Anya produces a cross.
- 87:11 GOAL - Troy Deeney:Watford 5 - 1 Bournemouth Troy Deeney scores with a right foot finish. Watford 5-1 Bournemouth.
- 86:38 Free kick taken by Daniel Pudil.
- 86:28 Foul by Simon Francis on Daniel Pudil, free kick awarded.
- 85:06 Steve Cook takes the free kick.
- 84:52 Booking
- 84:52 Marco Cassetti is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 84:31 Marco Cassetti challenges Harry Arter unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 84:17 Lloyd Doyley restarts play with the free kick.
- 84:09 Foul by Brett Pitman on Lloyd Doyley, free kick awarded.
- 80:51 Corner taken by Andrew Surman from the left by-line.
- 79:44 Marco Cassetti takes a shot. Ryan Allsop catches the ball.
- 77:33 Lewis Grabban restarts play with the free kick.
- 77:19 Gabriele Angella concedes a free kick for a foul on Lewis Grabban.
- 74:29 Substitution Lewis McGugan goes off and Cristian Battocchio comes on.
- 68:38 Shot by Harry Arter missed to the right of the target.
- 68:04 Substitution Eunan O'Kane joins the action as a substitute, replacing Marc Pugh.
- 67:51 Substitution Fernando Forestieri leaves the field to be replaced by Diego Fabbrini.
- 67:20 Clearance made by Daniel Pudil.
- 65:37 Assist on the goal came from Almen Abdi.
- 65:37 GOAL - Lewis McGugan:Watford 4 - 1 Bournemouth Lewis McGugan slots the ball right footed into the goal. Watford 4-1 Bournemouth.
- 65:37 Assist by Almen Abdi.
- 65:37 GOAL - Lewis McGugan:Watford 4 - 1 Bournemouth Lewis McGugan scores with their right foot. Watford 4-1 Bournemouth.
- 64:58 Lewis Grabban manages to make a clearance.
- 64:38 Corner from the left by-line taken by Almen Abdi.
- Correction - 64:38 Corner taken by Almen Abdi.
- 64:29 Substitution (Watford) makes a substitution, with Daniel Pudil coming on for Marco Faraoni.
- 63:55 Centre by Ikechi Anya.
- 62:01 Lewis McGugan takes a shot. Ryan Allsop catches the ball.
- 61:00 Substitution Brett Pitman joins the action as a substitute, replacing Shaun MacDonald.
- 60:33 Ikechi Anya crosses the ball.
- 60:08 Clearance by Gabriele Angella.
- 58:34 Troy Deeney takes the chance to get an effort at goal.
- 57:34 Clearance by Gabriele Angella.
- 55:22 GOAL - Troy Deeney:Watford 3 - 1 Bournemouth Troy Deeney scores with a right foot finish. Watford 3-1 Bournemouth.
- 54:36 Substitution Charlie Daniels leaves the field to be replaced by Ian Harte.
- Correction - 52:34 Assist on the goal came from Almen Abdi. Almen Abdi crosses the ball.
- Correction - 52:34 GOAL - Gabriele Angella:Watford 2 - 1 Bournemouth Gabriele Angella heads the ball into the goal. Watford 2-1 Bournemouth.
- 52:34 Almen Abdi provided the assist for the goal.
- 52:34 GOAL - Gabriele Angella:Watford 2 - 1 Bournemouth Gabriele Angella grabs a goal with a headed effort. Watford 2-1 Bournemouth.
- Correction - 52:12 Free kick taken by Almen Abdi.
- 52:12 Almen Abdi takes the free kick.
- 51:50 Santos Iriney fouled by Simon Francis, the ref awards a free kick.
- 51:03 Steve Cook takes the free kick.
- 50:53 Santos Iriney concedes a free kick for a foul on Harry Arter.
- 48:02 Booking for Marco Faraoni for unsporting behaviour.
- 48:02 Booking
- 47:56 Free kick awarded for a foul by Marco Faraoni on Harry Arter.
- 47:24 Simon Francis makes a clearance.
- 46:07 Lewis McGugan takes a shot. Ryan Allsop catches the ball.
- 45:01 The referee starts the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:13 The half-time whistle blows.
- 45:00+2:13 Almen Abdi shoots direct from the free kick.
- 45:00+1:54 Handball by Harry Arter.
- 45:00+1:37 Troy Deeney has an effort at goal.
- 45:00+0:16 Shot by Marco Faraoni. Ryan Allsop catches the ball.
- 44:06 Free kick taken by Marco Cassetti.
- 43:56 Lewis Grabban challenges Marco Cassetti unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 42:18 Shot by Elliott Ward.
- 42:03 Ikechi Anya manages to make a clearance.
- 41:46 The ball is swung over by Simon Francis.
- 37:15 Marco Faraoni manages to make a clearance.
- 37:06 Ryan Fraser crosses the ball.
- 34:32 Simon Francis takes the free kick.
- 34:18 Marco Faraoni receives a yellow card.
- 32:09 Clearance by Lloyd Doyley.
- 32:03 Corner taken by Marc Pugh from the left by-line.
- 31:42 Lloyd Doyley makes a clearance.
- 29:14 Assist by Ryan Fraser.
- 29:14 GOAL - Lewis Grabban:Watford 1 - 1 Bournemouth Lewis Grabban scores with a right foot finish. Watford 1-1 Bournemouth.
- 29:01 Ryan Fraser produces a cross.
- 28:30 Free kick taken by Elliott Ward.
- 28:01 Unfair challenge on Harry Arter by Lewis McGugan results in a free kick.
- 25:58 Ryan Fraser takes the chance to get an effort at goal. Manuel Almunia catches the ball.
- 24:32 Simon Francis restarts play with the free kick.
- 24:18 Lewis McGugan concedes a free kick for a foul on Ryan Fraser.
- 23:10 Harry Arter has an effort at goal.
- 22:33 Clearance made by Gabriele Angella.
- 20:35 Lewis McGugan takes a shot and goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 19:28 The ball is crossed by Charlie Daniels.
- 19:16 Corner taken by Charlie Daniels.
- 17:01 Clearance made by Gabriele Angella.
- 16:50 Corner taken by Charlie Daniels from the right by-line.
- 16:03 Lewis Grabban takes the chance to get an effort at goal.
- Correction - 12:14 The ball is swung over by Ikechi Anya.
- 12:14 Ikechi Anya provided the assist for the goal.
- 12:14 GOAL - Gabriele Angella:Watford 1 - 0 Bournemouth Gabriele Angella scores with a left foot finish. Watford 1-0 Bournemouth.
- 11:38 Shot by Lewis Grabban went wide of the right-hand post.
- 10:18 Simon Francis takes the free kick.
- 10:10 Foul by Marco Cassetti on Ryan Fraser, free kick awarded.
- 9:08 Clearance by Simon Francis.
- 9:06 Fernando Forestieri delivers the ball.
- 8:07 Shot by Marc Pugh went over the bar.
- 4:03 Free kick taken by Ryan Allsop.
- 3:50 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Charlie Daniels by Fernando Forestieri.
- 3:11 Free kick taken by Marco Cassetti.
- 2:45 Harry Arter receives a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 2:45 Booking
- 2:36 Harry Arter gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Ikechi Anya.
- 1:48 Shot on goal comes in from Lewis McGugan from the free kick. Ryan Allsop safely holds on.
- 1:38 Lewis McGugan takes the free kick.
- 1:27 Shaun MacDonald challenges Fernando Forestieri unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 0:00 The referee gets the match started.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.