Yeovil 0 - 1 Birmingham
An unfortunate own goal from defender Danny Seaborne handed Birmingham victory at Yeovil.
Gary Johnson's side had the better of the first half, with striker James Hayter hitting the post and Byron Webster testing Darren Randolph.
But Birmingham took the lead when Webster's headed clearance under pressure from Dan Burn looped in off the side of Seaborne's head.
Webster then saw his header hit the crossbar as Lee Clark's side held on.
Birmingham defender Dan Burn - who was originally credited with the winner - scored the goal at Wembley in May which secured Yeovil promotion to the Championship
Yeovil lost goalkeeper Marek Stech to injury after just eight minutes, with goalkeeping coach Gareth Stewart coming on in his place.
Opposite number Randolph was then forced into a decent save to keep out a powerful shot from centre-half Webster before Stewart palmed away a drive from Andrew Shinnie.
Hayter then should have put the Glovers ahead but hit the post when clean through on goal.
And that miss proved costly when the Blues went ahead at the start of the second half. Shane Ferguson's corner was met by Webster, but he could only cannon his clearance into Seaborne and in.
Yeovil came closest to equalising when midfielder Ed Upson curled a late free-kick just wide.
Yeovil manager Gary Johnson:
"We looked competitive and we could have won that game.
"We did compete and it was fantastic to see the atmosphere, hopefully the fans will keep with us because we more than matched a good Birmingham side."
Birmingham boss Lee Clark:
"Dan Burn has certainly improved, I think he's just getting better and better and I hope he has a similar season for Birmingham as he did for Yeovil last year.
"Then he will go back to Fulham and push for the Premier League squad so at the minute it is benefiting everybody.
"But I thought all the defence were great and when they did break through, our keeper was there."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 10 August 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Stech (Stewart 8)
- 02 Ayling
- 05 Webster
- 06 Seaborne
- 18 Tate
- 04 Edwards
- 07 Dawson
- 08 Upson yellow card
- 10 Foley yellow card (Hoskins 67)
- 09 Hayter
- 17 Madden (Ngoo 67)
- 12 Stewart,
- 03 McAllister,
- 20 Clifford,
- 21 Davis,
- 23 Grant,
- 11 Ngoo,
- 14 Hoskins
- 01 Randolph
- 04 Robinson yellow card
- 06 Burn
- 08 Mullins
- 02 Eardley yellow card
- 15 Elliott yellow card
- 22 Shinnie
- 24 Adeyemi
- 27 Ferguson yellow card
- 12 Novak
- 25 Green (Reilly 72)
- 13 Doyle,
- 05 Bartley,
- 07 Burke,
- 16 Arthur,
- 17 Reilly,
- 20 Lee,
- 26 Allan
- Yeovil 56%
- Birmingham 44%
Attempts on target
- Yeovil 3
- Birmingham 5
Attempts off target
- Yeovil 8
- Birmingham 5
- Yeovil 2
- Birmingham 4
- Yeovil 9
- Birmingham 13
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:25 The referee ends the match.
- 90:00+5:21 Dan Burn manages to make a clearance.
- 90:00+5:16 The ball is swung over by Alan Tate.
- 90:00+2:28 Shot by Callum Reilly went over the bar.
- 90:00+0:51 Shot by Tom Adeyemi went over the crossbar.
- 90:00+0:01 Free kick taken by Neal Eardley.
- 89:45 Unfair challenge on Wade Elliott by Alan Tate results in a free kick.
- 89:13 Alan Tate takes the free kick.
- 89:09 Lee Novak is caught offside.
- 88:24 Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Edward Upson and misses to the right of the goal.
- 87:39 Free kick awarded for a foul by Callum Reilly on Sam Hoskins.
- 84:31 Header at goal by Daniel Seaborne goes over the bar.
- 84:16 Corner taken by Edward Upson.
- 84:01 Clearance made by Hayden Mullins.
- 83:51 The ball is delivered by Luke Ayling.
- 82:48 Centre by Michael Ngoo.
- 82:35 Gareth Stewart restarts play with the free kick.
- 82:23 Free kick awarded for a foul by Andrew Shinnie on Kevin Dawson.
- 81:48 Dan Burn restarts play with the free kick.
- 81:20 Wade Elliott fouled by Joe Edwards, the ref awards a free kick.
- 80:36 Corner taken by Wade Elliott from the .
- 79:31 Luke Ayling takes a shot and cleared the crossbar.
- 78:08 Shot by Lee Novak. Gareth Stewart safely holds on.
- 76:16 Clearance made by Dan Burn.
- 76:07 Centre by Kevin Dawson.
- 73:29 Shot by Andrew Shinnie.
- 71:52 Centre by Luke Ayling.
- 71:15 Substitution Callum Reilly joins the action as a substitute, replacing Matt Green.
- 68:22 Sam Hoskins takes the chance to get an effort at goal.
- 68:00 Free kick taken by Edward Upson.
- 67:13 Paul Robinson challenges Kevin Dawson unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 66:25 Substitution Michael Ngoo replaces Paddy Madden.
- 66:16 Substitution Sam Foley goes off and Sam Hoskins comes on.
- 64:54 Booking
- 64:54 Booking for Wade Elliott for unsporting behaviour.
- 63:13 Free kick taken by Hayden Mullins.
- 63:01 Foul by James Hayter on Hayden Mullins, free kick awarded.
- 62:31 Clearance by Daniel Seaborne.
- 62:24 A cross is delivered by Shane Ferguson.
- 61:31 Free kick taken by Darren Randolph.
- 61:23 Unfair challenge on Hayden Mullins by Byron Webster results in a free kick.
- 61:15 Corner taken by Edward Upson.
- 61:00 Dan Burn manages to make a clearance.
- 60:09 Byron Webster fires a strike on goal direct from the free kick that hits the frame of the goal.
- 59:56 Edward Upson crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 59:11 Booking
- 59:11 Paul Robinson shown a yellow card.
- 58:54 Paul Robinson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Kevin Dawson.
- 57:32 Free kick taken by Darren Randolph.
- 57:27 The offside flag is raised against Paddy Madden.
- 56:37 Header at goal by Paddy Madden. Darren Randolph catches the ball.
- 56:28 The ball is crossed by Sam Foley.
- 54:55 Free kick taken by Dan Burn.
- 54:36 Booking
- 54:36 Edward Upson booked for unsporting behaviour.
- 54:26 Tom Adeyemi fouled by Edward Upson, the ref awards a free kick.
- 52:48 Dan Burn takes a shot and missed to the left of the target.
- 52:37 Hayden Mullins restarts play with the free kick.
- 52:20 Booking
- 52:20 Caution for Sam Foley.
- 52:06 Foul by Sam Foley on Christopher Burke, free kick awarded.
- 49:24 Lee Novak produces a cross.
- 47:31 The assist for the goal came from Shane Ferguson.
- 47:31 GOAL - Dan Burn:Yeovil 0 - 1 Birmingham Dan Burn grabs a goal. Yeovil 0-1 Birmingham.
- 46:31 Corner from the taken by Shane Ferguson.
- 46:14 James Hayter manages to make a clearance.
- 46:06 Corner from the left by-line taken by Wade Elliott.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- Half Time
- 45:00+5:19 It is the end of the first-half.
- 45:00+4:52 The ball is delivered by Shane Ferguson.
- 45:00+1:42 James Hayter takes a shot and bounced off the post.
- 45:00+0:15 Lee Novak takes a shot and missed to the right of the goal.
- 45:00+0:04 The ball is sent over by Neal Eardley.
- 43:41 Free kick taken by Daniel Seaborne.
- 42:48 Free kick awarded for a foul by Neal Eardley on Sam Foley.
- 39:35 Darren Randolph restarts play with the free kick.
- 39:16 Free kick awarded for a foul by Alan Tate on Andrew Shinnie.
- 38:59 Clearance made by Paul Robinson.
- 38:54 Free kick crossed by Edward Upson.
- 38:13 Wade Elliott challenges Joe Edwards unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 36:48 Clearance by Paul Robinson.
- 36:40 Alan Tate restarts play with the free kick.
- 36:21 Hayden Mullins gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Joe Edwards.
- 35:32 Neal Eardley takes the free kick.
- 34:58 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Wade Elliott by Joe Edwards.
- 34:12 Luke Ayling restarts play with the free kick.
- 33:55 The referee books Shane Ferguson for unsporting behaviour.
- 33:55 Booking
- 33:49 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Luke Ayling by Shane Ferguson.
- 32:54 Wade Elliott takes a shot.
- 31:31 Shot by James Hayter went wide right of the post.
- 29:45 Shot by Lee Novak cleared the crossbar.
- 29:20 Clearance made by Dan Burn.
- 29:16 Free kick crossed by Alan Tate.
- 28:59 Wade Elliott challenges Joe Edwards unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 27:31 The referee blows for offside against James Hayter.
- 25:55 Alan Tate crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- Correction - 25:15 Neal Eardley is shown a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 25:15 Free kick awarded for a foul by Neal Eardley on Sam Foley.
- Correction - 25:15 Booking
- 23:50 Matt Green has a headed effort at goal.
- 23:23 Centre by Shane Ferguson.
- 21:01 Byron Webster takes the chance to get an effort at goal.
- 20:50 Clearance by Dan Burn.
- 20:40 Alan Tate takes the free kick.
- 20:29 Foul by Hayden Mullins on Sam Foley, free kick awarded.
- 20:12 Gareth Stewart takes the free kick.
- 19:26 Free kick taken by Darren Randolph.
- 19:17 James Hayter is flagged offside by the assistant referee.
- 17:03 Dan Burn makes a clearance.
- 16:54 Free kick crossed by Daniel Seaborne.
- 16:30 Unfair challenge on Paddy Madden by Hayden Mullins results in a free kick.
- 12:55 Paddy Madden has an effort at goal.
- 11:59 Luke Ayling takes the chance to get an effort at goal and missed to the left of the target.
- 10:29 Free kick crossed by Edward Upson.
- 10:10 Matt Green challenges Luke Ayling unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 7:17 Substitution (Yeovil) makes a substitution, with Gareth Stewart coming on for Marek Stech.
- 4:47 Wade Elliott crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 4:32 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Shane Ferguson by Luke Ayling.
- 3:42 Corner from the left by-line taken by Wade Elliott.
- 0:01 Neal Eardley booked for unsporting behaviour.
- 0:00 The game gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.