Motherwell 1 - 3 Aberdeen
Two Niall McGinn penalties helped Aberdeen come back from behind to beat Motherwell in a pulsating Premiership contest at Fir Park.
Striker Henri Anier ran clean through to give the hosts a 39-second lead.
A dynamic Aberdeen side struck the crossbar twice before McGinn levelled from the spot and Mark Reynolds headed them in front.
McGinn netted from a strangely awarded penalty again to ensure the Dons got six league points out of six.
Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes had played down the comment that this contest was an early meeting of the two sides most likely to battle it out for second place in the Premiership.
But it looked a fair assumption on today's evidence as his men got their first league win at Fir Park in 14 attempts.
Even without the injured Barry Robson, his side looked energetic and creative, with Willo Flood, Peter Pawlett and McGinn excelling.
The departure of Estonian Henrik Ojamaa from Motherwell has been softened by the arrival of another one in the shape of Anier.
His first 'Well goal against Hibernian last weekend was a matchwinner and his next here will have endeared him to fans even more.
Motherwell returnee John Sutton showed great class, with his back to goal and 30 yards out, to play a beautiful reverse pass which released Anier, who sprinted into the box and clinically shot past Dons goalkeeper Jamie Langfield.
Far from feeling sorry for themselves, Aberdeen responded brilliantly as Peter Pawlett cracked the cross bar after using a surge of pace to get by defender Shaun Hutchinson.
It would not be the last time the 22-year-old's combination of direct running and trickery troubled the hosts.
Motherwell had not dropped out the game but anything of real menace was coming in the white of Aberdeen's away strip.
The frame of the goal was again struck by the visitors when forward Calvin Zola cut in from the right and curled a 20-yard effort off the angle of post and bar.
Former Burton Albion striker Zola had another chance to show why he had been brought to Pittodrie immediately after the restart, but he fresh-air swiped from close range.
Langfield was quick on his feet to thwart Anier who looked to benefit from a misjudgement by the Dons' on-loan Reading defender Michael Hector.
Aberdeen got the equaliser they deserved from the penalty spot.
A drop of the shoulder by Jonny Hayes drew a clear foul from McManus and McGinn despatched the kick high into the top right corner in front of a delighted away support.
Those supporters were thrilled again when former Motherwell centre-back met Hayes' free-kick to send a bullet header past Motherwell goalkeeper Lee Hollis.
Hollis then made an fantastic save with his toe from Josh Magennis and at the resulting corner referee Beaton awarded Aberdeen another successfully converted McGinn penalty for a foul he spotted on Joe Shaughnessy in the box.
Live text and stats
Sunday, 11 August 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Hollis
- 03 Hammell
- 04 Ramsden yellow card
- 05 Hutchinson yellow card
- 06 McManus yellow card
- 07 McFadden (Moore 86)
- 11 Vigurs yellow card
- 14 Lasley (Kerr 85 yellow card)
- 17 Francis-Angol
- 09 Sutton
- 24 Anier (McHugh 86)
- 12 Nielsen,
- 15 Cummins,
- 20 Kerr,
- 08 Lawson,
- 18 Carswell,
- 16 McHugh,
- 22 Moore
- 01 Langfield
- 02 Shaughnessy
- 04 Anderson (Robertson 51)
- 06 Reynolds
- 27 Hector yellow card
- 08 Flood yellow card
- 11 Hayes
- 14 Pawlett (Wylde 72)
- 22 Jack
- 06 Zola (Magennis 64)
- 10 McGinn
- 20 Weaver,
- 03 Robertson,
- 17 Wylde,
- 26 Storie,
- 35 Murray,
- 09 Vernon,
- 21 Magennis
- Motherwell 48%
- Aberdeen 52%
Attempts on target
- Motherwell 2
- Aberdeen 3
Attempts off target
- Motherwell 2
- Aberdeen 6
- Motherwell 3
- Aberdeen 4
- Motherwell 16
- Aberdeen 15
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:54 The final whistle goes and the game is over.
- 90:00+3:44 Booking
- 90:00+3:44 The referee cautions Fraser Kerr for unsporting behaviour.
- 90:00+3:35 Clark Robertson restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+3:20 Unfair challenge on Gregg Wylde by Fraser Kerr results in a free kick.
- 90:00+2:02 Robert McHugh has an effort at goal and missed to the left of the goal.
- 90:00+0:50 Jonny Hayes takes the free kick.
- 90:00+0:40 Free kick awarded for a foul by Fraser Kerr on Jonny Hayes.
- 87:53 Lee Hollis takes the free kick.
- 87:46 Foul by Josh Magennis on Stephen McManus, free kick awarded.
- 86:16 Jamie Langfield takes the free kick.
- 85:54 Unfair challenge on Michael Hector by John Sutton results in a free kick.
- 85:18 Substitution Robert McHugh on for Henri Anier.
- 85:02 Substitution Craig Moore on for James McFadden.
- 84:50 Substitution Fraser Kerr is brought on as a substitute for Keith Lasley.
- 84:32 Booking
- 84:32 The referee cautions Simon Ramsden for unsporting behaviour.
- 84:26 Unfair challenge on Gregg Wylde by Simon Ramsden results in a free kick.
- 83:59 GOAL - Niall McGinn:Motherwell 1 - 3 Aberdeen Penalty scored by Niall McGinn. Motherwell 1-3 Aberdeen.
- 83:39 Booking
- 83:39 Caution for Shaun Hutchinson.
- 83:31 Shaun Hutchinson handles the ball and concedes a .
- 83:03 Jonny Hayes produces a cross.
- 82:55 Corner from the right by-line taken by Niall McGinn.
- 81:39 Josh Magennis takes a shot. Lee Hollis fumbles the ball.
- 78:10 Lee Hollis restarts play with the free kick.
- 78:04 Josh Magennis concedes a free kick for a foul on Zaine Francis-Angol.
- 75:54 Assist on the goal came from Jonny Hayes.
- 75:54 GOAL - Mark Reynolds:Motherwell 1 - 2 Aberdeen Mark Reynolds scores a headed goal. Motherwell 1-2 Aberdeen.
- 75:41 Free kick crossed by Jonny Hayes.
- 75:15 Josh Magennis fouled by Simon Ramsden, the ref awards a free kick.
- 73:10 Shot by Niall McGinn went wide of the left-hand upright.
- 71:30 Keith Lasley restarts play with the free kick.
- 71:17 Substitution (Aberdeen) makes a substitution, with Gregg Wylde coming on for Peter Pawlett.
- 70:42 Free kick awarded for a foul by Josh Magennis on Iain Vigurs.
- 69:49 Corner taken by James McFadden from the left by-line.
- 67:41 Jamie Langfield restarts play with the free kick.
- 67:24 James McFadden is ruled offside.
- 67:15 Keith Lasley takes the free kick.
- 67:01 Booking
- 67:01 Michael Hector shown a yellow card.
- 66:44 Foul by Michael Hector on John Sutton, free kick awarded.
- 64:59 Free kick taken by Mark Reynolds.
- 64:40 Henri Anier challenges Clark Robertson unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 63:57 Substitution Josh Magennis on for Calvin Zola.
- 63:15 Jamie Langfield restarts play with the free kick.
- 62:57 Keith Lasley challenges Willo Flood unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 61:55 GOAL - Niall McGinn:Motherwell 1 - 1 Aberdeen Penalty taken right-footed by Niall McGinn and scored. Motherwell 1-1 Aberdeen.
- 61:41 Booking
- 61:41 Stephen McManus receives a caution for unsporting behaviour.
- 61:19 Stephen McManus concedes a Penalty for a foul on Jonny Hayes.
- 59:57 Shot by Calvin Zola missed to the left of the target.
- 59:37 Corner from the right by-line taken by Jonny Hayes.
- 58:51 Jamie Langfield takes the free kick.
- 58:34 Unfair challenge on Jonny Hayes by Zaine Francis-Angol results in a free kick.
- 58:01 Lee Hollis takes the free kick.
- 57:51 Handball by Clark Robertson.
- 55:44 James McFadden fires a strike on goal direct from the free kick over the bar.
- 54:54 Free kick awarded for a foul by Ryan Jack on James McFadden.
- 53:49 Ryan Jack restarts play with the free kick.
- 53:36 Iain Vigurs is shown a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 53:36 Booking
- 53:24 Foul by Iain Vigurs on Peter Pawlett, free kick awarded.
- 52:36 Clearance by Shaun Hutchinson.
- 52:22 Corner taken by Willo Flood from the left by-line.
- 51:39 Willo Flood restarts play with the free kick.
- 51:26 Unfair challenge on Willo Flood by Iain Vigurs results in a free kick.
- 51:05 Jamie Langfield restarts play with the free kick.
- 50:43 Foul by Keith Lasley on Niall McGinn, free kick awarded.
- 50:14 Substitution Clark Robertson is brought on as a substitute for Russell Anderson.
- 45:01 The second half has started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:12 The half-time whistle blows.
- 41:54 Free kick taken by Niall McGinn.
- 41:41 James McFadden gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jonny Hayes.
- 40:16 Free kick taken by Steven Hammell.
- 39:56 Willo Flood concedes a free kick for a foul on Zaine Francis-Angol.
- 39:06 Niall McGinn restarts play with the free kick.
- 38:59 Unfair challenge on Niall McGinn by Iain Vigurs results in a free kick.
- 38:18 Stephen McManus takes the free kick.
- 38:05 Calvin Zola concedes a free kick for a foul on Stephen McManus.
- 36:40 Free kick crossed by Simon Ramsden.
- 36:26 Willo Flood receives a caution for unsporting behaviour.
- 36:26 Booking
- 36:06 Willo Flood gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Simon Ramsden.
- 34:51 Free kick taken by Jamie Langfield.
- 34:48 The assistant referee flags for offside against Zaine Francis-Angol.
- 34:37 Keith Lasley takes the free kick.
- 34:15 Jonny Hayes challenges Keith Lasley unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 33:15 Keith Lasley takes the free kick.
- 33:03 The referee blows for offside against Niall McGinn.
- 32:52 Keith Lasley restarts play with the free kick.
- 32:13 Free kick awarded for a foul by Willo Flood on James McFadden.
- 32:05 Keith Lasley takes the free kick.
- 31:54 Unfair challenge on John Sutton by Russell Anderson results in a free kick.
- 30:09 John Sutton gets a header at goal. Jamie Langfield catches the ball.
- 29:51 Simon Ramsden sends in a cross.
- 29:32 Calvin Zola takes a shot and struck the post.
- 27:08 James McFadden takes the free kick.
- 26:12 Russell Anderson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Henri Anier.
- 24:30 Corner taken by James McFadden.
- 22:22 Free kick taken by Jamie Langfield.
- 22:18 The referee blows for offside.
- 20:31 Shaun Hutchinson takes the free kick.
- 20:13 The assistant referee signals for offside against Niall McGinn.
- 17:18 Shot by Ryan Jack missed to the right of the net.
- 16:45 Free kick taken by Iain Vigurs.
- 16:24 Free kick awarded for a foul by Joe Shaughnessy on John Sutton.
- 15:23 Free kick taken by Jonny Hayes.
- 15:10 Unfair challenge on Peter Pawlett by Simon Ramsden results in a free kick.
- 12:39 Free kick taken by Lee Hollis.
- 12:29 Calvin Zola concedes a free kick for a foul on Stephen McManus.
- 12:14 Free kick taken by Jamie Langfield.
- 11:57 John Sutton concedes a free kick for a foul on Mark Reynolds.
- 11:42 Joe Shaughnessy manages to make a clearance.
- 11:15 Corner taken by James McFadden.
- 8:44 Peter Pawlett takes a fantastic shot and bounced off the bar.
- 7:27 Corner from the right by-line taken by Calvin Zola.
- 7:02 Niall McGinn takes a shot. Lee Hollis parries the ball but the danger is not over.
- 5:25 Free kick taken by Keith Lasley.
- 5:10 Willo Flood gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Iain Vigurs.
- 4:30 Shot by Niall McGinn went harmlessly over the bar.
- 0:50 Assist by John Sutton.
- 0:50 GOAL - Henri Anier:Motherwell 1 - 0 Aberdeen Henri Anier scores a right footed goal. Motherwell 1-0 Aberdeen.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game started.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.