Hearts 1 - 0 Hibernian
A Callum Paterson header gave Hearts a vital victory and bragging rights in a frantic and edgy Edinburgh derby.
Hibernian looked the more threatening with James Collins and Tom Taiwo having the best chances after a poor first 45.
But it was Paterson's header after a wonderful cross from Dylan McGowan which gave the hosts the three points.
The result helps Hearts nibble into their 15-point administration penalty while Hibs have yet to record a point or score a goal this season.
It was a match from the visitors' perspective which could have done with the imagination and unpredictability of Leigh Griffiths, the saviour of Pat Fenlon's men so many times last season.
New striker James Collins was hoping to erase the Scot from the supporters' memory, though, Griffiths would have been at the forefront of green-and-white thinking when Collins had a couple of good second-half chances to give his side the lead, but more so when Taiwo spurned a great opportunity before the Hearts opener.
A nervy encounter began with both teams struggling to settle into the game, drained of confidence from their own well-documented problems.
Hearts with administration etched into the back of their mind; Hibs still feeling the numbness from their European humiliation against Malmo.
The hosts had Ryan Stevenson taken off early on following a challenge from Hibs' Rowan Vine, who was in place instead of the injured Alex Harris.
It typified an ill-tempered and bruising half with Vine in amongst the thick of the action, letting his presence be known to Jamie Hamill.
Chances were at a premium in the first 45 and referee Thomson was arguably the busiest man on the pitch as the game threatened to spill over on numerous occasions, with the official having to book five players before the break.
But the second half at least offered more sightings of the target for both teams as they produced a flurry of chances.
Hibs attacker Collins showed good strength to hold off the hosts defence but he screwed his shot wide and another half-chance fell to him around the hour mark but it was straight at Hearts keeper Jamie MacDonald.
At the other end Hamill tried his luck from distance, sending a powerful, swerving effort towards the target - saved by Ben Williams, before Craig tried an audacious half volley for the visitors.
Vine and Craig linked up to great effect and it was the pair's combination that led to Hibs' best chance of the match which fell to Taiwo, but he couldn't connect properly with the effort.
And just as though it looked like Hibs were starting to assert their authority on the game, Hearts opened the scoring with a fantastic piece of play from McGowan.
The 22-year-old whipped in a delightful cross for Paterson to head home at the front post to send the Jambos fans into raptures.
Hibs tried desperately to find an elusive equaliser with Paul Hanlon and Vine coming close, but Gary Locke's men held on for a crucial victory which ended Hibs' five-game unbeaten run against their city rivals.
Live text and stats
Sunday, 11 August 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 MacDonald
- 03 McHattie yellow card
- 04 Wilson
- 05 McGowan
- 16 McKay
- 02 Hamill yellow card
- 07 Stevenson (Walker 13)
- 08 Robinson yellow card
- 17 Smith (B King 81)
- 12 Paterson yellow card
- 15 Holt
- 13 Ridgers,
- 30 McGhee,
- 14 Walker,
- 19 B King,
- 20 Tapping,
- 28 Nicholson,
- 18 Carrick
- 01 Williams
- 04 Hanlon
- 05 Nelson
- 16 Stevenson
- 22 Mullen yellow card (McGivern 46)
- 08 Robertson yellow card (Taiwo 62)
- 09 Vine yellow card
- 10 Craig yellow card
- 17 Tudur-Jones (Stanton 76)
- 38 Thomson
- 14 Collins
- 21 Murdoch,
- 03 McGivern,
- 19 Handling,
- 20 Taiwo,
- 23 Forster,
- 26 Stanton,
- 29 Caldwell
- Hearts 54%
- Hibernian 46%
Attempts on target
- Hearts 4
- Hibernian 3
Attempts off target
- Hearts 5
- Hibernian 9
- Hearts 5
- Hibernian 2
- Hearts 20
- Hibernian 16
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:15 The referee brings the game to a close.
- 90:00+2:54 Shot by Jamie Hamill went over the bar.
- 90:00+1:45 Jamie MacDonald restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+1:23 Liam Craig concedes a free kick for a foul on Jamie Hamill.
- 90:00+0:55 Michael Nelson takes the free kick.
- 90:00+0:47 Foul by Jason Holt on Liam Craig, free kick awarded.
- 90:00+0:31 Kevin McHattie crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 90:00+0:05 Michael Nelson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jamie Walker.
- 89:20 Clearance made by Michael Nelson.
- 89:13 Corner taken by Jamie Walker.
- 88:04 Kevin McHattie takes the free kick.
- 87:47 Foul by Lewis Stevenson on Kevin McHattie, free kick awarded.
- 86:16 Danny Wilson manages to make a clearance.
- 86:04 Kevin Thomson restarts play with the free kick.
- 85:56 Ryan McGivern fouled by Scott Robinson, the ref awards a free kick.
- 84:45 Clearance by Kevin McHattie.
- 84:43 Lewis Stevenson crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 84:30 Unfair challenge on Liam Craig by Jamie Walker results in a free kick.
- 82:49 Header at goal by Michael Nelson misses left of the target.
- 82:39 Corner taken by Liam Craig.
- 81:26 Jamie Walker gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Michael Nelson.
- 80:51 Caution for Liam Craig.
- 80:51 Booking
- 80:38 Substitution Billy King on for David Smith.
- 80:08 Kevin McHattie is given a yellow card.
- 80:08 Booking
- 79:42 Rowan Vine has an effort at goal and missed to the right of the target.
- 78:55 Jamie Walker takes a shot and missed to the right of the net.
- 78:33 Free kick taken by Scott Robinson.
- 78:28 Michael Nelson concedes a free kick for a foul on Callum Paterson.
- 77:02 Header by Paul Hanlon goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 76:47 Corner taken by Liam Craig.
- 75:49 Shot by Jamie Walker cleared the crossbar.
- 75:21 Substitution (Hibernian) makes a substitution, with Sam Stanton coming on for Owain Tudur Jones.
- 73:22 Lewis Stevenson takes the free kick.
- 73:15 Scott Robinson challenges Tom Taiwo unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 71:17 The assist for the goal came from Dylan McGowan.
- 71:17 GOAL - Callum Paterson:Hearts 1 - 0 Hibernian Callum Paterson scores with a header. Hearts 1-0 Hibernian.
- 70:51 Dylan McGowan crosses the ball.
- 69:15 Corner taken by Kevin McHattie from the right by-line.
- 67:04 Free kick taken by Michael Nelson.
- 66:46 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Kevin Thomson by Jamie Walker.
- 65:27 Tom Taiwo takes a shot and cleared the net.
- 65:17 The ball is swung over by Liam Craig.
- 64:49 Jamie MacDonald takes the free kick.
- 64:32 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Brad McKay by James Collins.
- 63:25 James Collins takes a shot.
- 61:44 Substitution Tom Taiwo is brought on as a substitute for Scott Robertson.
- 61:20 Shot by James Collins went wide right of the net.
- 61:06 Clearance made by Jamie Hamill.
- 61:03 Free kick crossed by Liam Craig.
- 60:41 Booking
- 60:41 Jamie Hamill is cautioned by the ref for persistent infringement.
- 60:34 Jamie Hamill concedes a free kick for a foul on James Collins.
- 58:32 Free kick taken by Ben Williams.
- 58:26 Unfair challenge on Kevin Thomson by Jason Holt results in a free kick.
- 56:52 Brad McKay restarts play with the free kick.
- 56:36 Kevin Thomson challenges Scott Robinson unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 55:49 Free kick taken by Ben Williams.
- 55:30 Free kick awarded for a foul by Kevin McHattie on Scott Robertson.
- 55:23 Jamie Hamill takes the free kick.
- 55:15 Ryan McGivern concedes a free kick for a foul on Jamie Walker.
- 54:14 Header at goal by Scott Robertson misses left of the target.
- 54:09 Ryan McGivern sends in a cross.
- 53:06 Shot by Liam Craig went over the crossbar.
- 52:28 Jamie Hamill takes a shot. Ben Williams catches the ball.
- 49:11 Ben Williams takes the free kick.
- 49:05 Free kick awarded for a foul by Callum Paterson on Paul Hanlon.
- 47:34 James Collins has an effort at goal and missed to the right of the goal.
- 47:20 Free kick taken by Paul Hanlon.
- 47:03 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jamie Hamill on Liam Craig.
- 46:08 Jamie MacDonald restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:51 James Collins is caught offside.
- 45:36 Brad McKay manages to make a clearance.
- 45:23 Kevin Thomson takes the free kick.
- 45:14 Unfair challenge on Ryan McGivern by Jason Holt results in a free kick.
- 45:01 The second half has started.
- 45:01 Substitution Ryan McGivern is brought on as a substitute for Fraser Mullen.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:57 The half-time whistle blows.
- 45:00+2:49 Free kick taken by Ben Williams.
- 45:00+2:23 Booking
- 45:00+2:23 The referee cautions Callum Paterson for dissent.
- 45:00+2:08 Kevin Thomson fouled by Scott Robinson, the ref awards a free kick.
- 45:00 Free kick taken by Kevin McHattie.
- 44:49 Fraser Mullen receives a caution.
- 44:49 Booking
- 44:36 David Smith fouled by Fraser Mullen, the ref awards a free kick.
- 44:23 Clearance by Jamie Hamill.
- 44:19 Free kick crossed by Liam Craig.
- 43:53 Foul by Jamie Walker on Rowan Vine, free kick awarded.
- 42:58 Shot by Kevin Thomson missed to the right of the net.
- 42:11 Shot from the free kick by Kevin McHattie went wide of the left-hand post.
- 41:48 Owain Tudur Jones challenges Jamie Hamill unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 41:16 Corner taken by Jason Holt.
- 40:53 Shot by Brad McKay.
- 40:45 David Smith restarts play with the free kick.
- 40:16 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on David Smith by Fraser Mullen.
- 39:55 Free kick taken by Jamie MacDonald.
- 39:42 The referee gives a free kick against Rowan Vine for handball.
- 39:13 Jamie Hamill takes the chance to get an effort at goal. Ben Williams catches the ball.
- 37:27 Shot on goal comes in from Liam Craig from the free kick. Jamie MacDonald catches the ball.
- Correction - 36:35 Foul by Danny Wilson on James Collins, free kick awarded.
- 36:35 Fraser Mullen fouled by Danny Wilson, the ref awards a free kick.
- 35:31 Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Jamie Hamill.
- 34:24 Scott Robertson concedes a free kick for a foul on David Smith.
- 33:41 Clearance made by Paul Hanlon.
- 33:35 Corner from the right by-line taken by Kevin McHattie.
- 32:04 Shot by Rowan Vine.
- 30:00 Booking
- 30:00 Scott Robertson shown a yellow card.
- 28:19 Jamie MacDonald restarts play with the free kick.
- 27:42 Scott Robertson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Danny Wilson.
- 26:50 Scott Robinson goes into the book.
- 26:50 Booking
- 26:32 Rowan Vine is booked.
- 26:32 Booking
- 25:19 Ben Williams takes the free kick.
- 24:53 The referee blows for offside against Callum Paterson.
- 23:15 Danny Wilson takes the free kick.
- 22:47 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Scott Robinson by Scott Robertson.
- 21:53 Liam Craig makes a clearance.
- 21:49 Corner taken by Kevin McHattie from the right by-line.
- 20:15 The ball is sent over by David Smith.
- 19:58 Jamie Hamill takes the free kick.
- 19:53 Unfair challenge on Scott Robinson by Scott Robertson results in a free kick.
- 19:28 Free kick taken by Lewis Stevenson.
- 19:22 Callum Paterson concedes a free kick for a foul on Paul Hanlon.
- 18:31 Jamie MacDonald restarts play with the free kick.
- 18:14 Fraser Mullen gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Kevin McHattie.
- 17:25 Jamie Walker delivers the ball.
- 16:46 Free kick taken by Jamie MacDonald.
- 16:31 Rowan Vine is penalised for handball and concedes a free kick.
- 14:13 Clearance by Danny Wilson.
- 14:06 Kevin Thomson takes the free kick.
- 13:59 Owain Tudur Jones fouled by Callum Paterson, the ref awards a free kick.
- 13:37 Kevin Thomson takes the free kick.
- 13:32 Unfair challenge on Owain Tudur Jones by Jason Holt results in a free kick.
- 12:52 Substitution Jamie Walker on for Ryan Stevenson.
- 6:14 Free kick crossed by Scott Robertson.
- 5:50 Kevin McHattie concedes a free kick for a foul on Rowan Vine.
- 4:08 Clearance by Michael Nelson.
- 3:53 Free kick taken by Dylan McGowan.
- 3:40 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on David Smith by Lewis Stevenson.
- 2:34 Free kick taken by Kevin Thomson.
- 2:26 Lewis Stevenson fouled by Callum Paterson, the ref awards a free kick.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.
CommentsJump to comments pagination
Comment number 185.OddJobLot
13th August 2013 - 15:16
Comment number 184.The Holy Smoke
13th August 2013 - 8:13
Comment number 183.OddJobLot
12th August 2013 - 22:15
Comment number 182.OddJobLot
12th August 2013 - 21:22
Comment number 181.The Holy Smoke
12th August 2013 - 21:00