Chester 0 - 2 Hereford
Hereford maintained their unbeaten start to the season with their first victory, against 10-man Chester.
The visitors broke the deadlock on the stroke of half-time as Luke Graham headed beyond John Danby from a Rob Purdie corner.
Chester's Michael Kay was sent off four minutes after the break for a second bookable offence.
From the resulting free-kick, Smith scored from six yards to inflict Chester's second successive defeat.
VIEW FROM THE DRESSING ROOM
Chester FC manager Neil Young told BBC Radio Merseyside:
"They've come with a game plan - they play a lot of long balls and I don't think they really bothered us at all, without us creating a great deal. We need to work on committing more men into the box.
"We've been undone by a very silly goal and it was very similar at Barnet on Saturday. We haven't done our jobs and it's cost us.
"Once you go a goal down against teams as organised as Hereford are, you're going to struggle to get back in."
Hereford United boss Martin Foyle told BBC Hereford & Worcester:
"It's always nice to get the first three points on the table, a clean sheet and an away win, and it can only do our confidence the world of good.
"There's still a lot of passages of play that we probably let ourselves down in at times, but sometimes you've got to come away from home, take it and move on to the next game.
"The goal deflated them just before half-time - then the sending off deflated them but you've got to go for the jugular and I think towards the end we had a lot of chances and you've got to be ruthless, but I'll take the 2-0 for now."
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 13 August 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Danby
- 02 Kay two yellow cards, red card
- 04 Horan
- 12 L Turner
- 06 Harrison
- 14 McIntyre yellow card
- 15 N Turner
- 21 Mahon (Linwood 52)
- 10 Williams (Reed 58)
- 11 Lindfield (Jarrett 60)
- 19 Seddon
- 03 Heath,
- 05 Linwood,
- 08 Jarrett,
- 16 Williams,
- 07 Reed
- 01 Evans
- 02 Leadbitter
- 03 Bush
- 05 McDonald
- 06 Graham
- 04 James
- 07 Purdie (Artus 75)
- 08 O'Keefe
- 09 Walker (Pilkington 83)
- 11 Smith (Sharp 75)
- 15 Rankine
- 12 Collins,
- 14 Edwards,
- 16 Artus,
- 18 Pilkington,
- 10 Sharp
- Chester 48%
- Hereford 52%
Attempts on target
- Chester 1
- Hereford 5
Attempts off target
- Chester 5
- Hereford 4
- Chester 4
- Hereford 5
- Chester 15
- Hereford 8
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:06 The referee blows the whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+1:39 Corner taken by Jason Jarrett from the left by-line. Rhys Evans safely holds on.
- 90:00+1:06 Corner from the right by-line taken by Kevin McIntyre. Rod McDonald makes a clearance.
- 87:41 Foul by Lewis Turner on Frankie Artus, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Frankie Artus.
- 84:17 Corner from the right by-line taken by Frankie Artus. Clearance by Lewis Turner.
- 82:47 Free kick taken by Kingsley James.
- 82:47 Substitution Danny Pilkington replaces Dan Walker.
- 82:47 Foul by Gareth Seddon on Danny Leadbitter, free kick awarded.
- 82:10 Corner taken by Kevin McIntyre from the left by-line. Rhys Evans catches the ball.
- 80:26 Michael Rankine takes a shot. Diving save by John Danby.Corner taken by Frankie Artus from the right by-line. Header at goal by Luke Graham to the left of the net.
- 79:28 George Horan fouled by Kingsley James, the ref awards a free kick. Lewis Turner restarts play with the free kick.
- 77:13 Corner taken short by Chris Bush.
- 76:08 The assistant referee signals for offside against Kevin McIntyre. Rhys Evans takes the free kick.
- 74:42 Substitution Frankie Artus joins the action as a substitute, replacing Rob Purdie.
- 74:42 Substitution (Hereford) makes a substitution, with Chris Sharp coming on for Sam Smith.
- 68:16 Unfair challenge on Danny Leadbitter by Danny Harrison results in a free kick. Chris Bush has a direct shot on goal from the free kick. A parry by John Danby prevents the goal. Sam Smith takes a shot.
- 67:39 Booking
- 67:14 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Danny Leadbitter by Kevin McIntyre. Kevin McIntyre booked. Kingsley James crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 62:08 The referee blows for offside against Sam Smith. Free kick taken by John Danby.
- 61:08 Shot by Danny Harrison went wide of the left-hand upright.
- 59:30 Substitution Craig Lindfield leaves the field to be replaced by Jason Jarrett.
- 57:56 Rod McDonald takes a shot and went wide left of the target.
- 56:17 Kingsley James restarts play with the free kick.
- 56:17 Substitution Marc Williams leaves the field to be replaced by Jamie Reed.
- 56:17 Free kick awarded for a foul by Paul Linwood on Michael Rankine.
- 53:48 Free kick awarded for a foul by Kevin McIntyre on Michael Rankine. Dan Walker restarts play with the free kick.
- 53:29 Kevin McIntyre gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Dan Walker. Kingsley James restarts play with the free kick.
- 51:23 Substitution Paul Linwood comes on in place of Craig Mahon.
- 49:57 Assist on the goal came from Michael Rankine.
- 49:57 GOAL - Sam Smith:Chester 0 - 2 Hereford Sam Smith slots the ball left footed into the goal. Chester FC 0-2 Hereford.
- 48:51 Sent off
- 48:27 Michael Kay gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Dan Walker. Michael Kay receives a red card for second bookable offence. Kingsley James takes the free kick.
- 45:18 Corner from the left by-line taken by Rob Purdie. Clearance by John Danby.
- 45:01 The second half has started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:22 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 45:00+1:52 Header by Michael Rankine goes to the left of the goal.
- 45:00+1:33 Michael Rankine fouled by Nathan Turner, the ref awards a free kick. Chris Bush takes the free kick.
- 44:51 Assist by Rob Purdie.
- 44:51 GOAL - Luke Graham:Chester 0 - 1 Hereford Luke Graham heads the ball into the goal. Chester FC 0-1 Hereford.
- 44:29 Corner taken by Rob Purdie.
- 41:29 Craig Mahon takes a shot and went wide of the left-hand upright.
- 40:23 Free kick awarded for a foul by Rod McDonald on Nathan Turner. Craig Lindfield crosses the ball in from the free kick. Michael Rankine makes a clearance.
- 38:30 Handball decision goes against Josh O'Keefe. Michael Kay restarts play with the free kick.
- 37:11 Craig Lindfield challenges Luke Graham unfairly and gives away a free kick. Rhys Evans restarts play with the free kick.
- 35:40 Craig Lindfield concedes a free kick for a foul on Rod McDonald. Free kick taken by Rhys Evans.
- 34:04 Sam Smith challenges Lewis Turner unfairly and gives away a free kick. John Danby takes the free kick.
- 33:05 Rod McDonald handles the ball and concedes a free kick. Craig Lindfield restarts play with the free kick.
- 30:44 Sam Smith is ruled offside. John Danby takes the free kick.
- 29:46 Free kick awarded for a foul by Michael Rankine on George Horan. Free kick taken by John Danby.
- 29:09 Nathan Turner challenges Josh O'Keefe unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Rhys Evans.
- 28:30 Josh O'Keefe challenges Danny Harrison unfairly and gives away a free kick. John Danby restarts play with the free kick.
- 28:02 Booking
- 27:34 Unfair challenge on Dan Walker by Michael Kay results in a free kick. Michael Kay booked. Kingsley James takes the free kick.
- 25:14 Corner from the left by-line taken by Craig Lindfield.
- 23:31 Marc Williams takes a shot.
- 20:28 Rod McDonald challenges Gareth Seddon unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Kevin McIntyre.
- 19:15 George Horan challenges Michael Rankine unfairly and gives away a free kick. Chris Bush restarts play with the free kick.
- 17:05 Rob Purdie challenges Craig Mahon unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Craig Lindfield.
- 15:01 Chris Bush takes a shot. John Danby catches the ball.
- 14:07 Kevin McIntyre is penalised for a handball. Free kick crossed by Dan Walker. Gareth Seddon manages to make a clearance.
- 13:06 Lewis Turner takes a shot. Rhys Evans catches the ball.
- 6:33 Michael Kay fouled by Dan Walker, the ref awards a free kick. John Danby takes the free kick.
- 5:44 Header by Craig Mahon goes over the bar.
- 3:34 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Kingsley James by Marc Williams. Free kick taken by Luke Graham.
- 0:16 Craig Lindfield takes a shot.
- 0:00 The game begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.