Lincoln City 2 - 1 Forest Green
Waide Fairhurst scored twice as Lincoln City continued their unbeaten start to the season with victory over Forest Green Rovers at a blustery Sincil Bank.
Forest Green took the lead when Anthony Barry's low swirling shot deflected off Nat Brown and into the net.
Lincoln equalised in similar fashion after a Sean Newton cross dropped to Fairhurst who netted via a deflection.
The game seemed to be heading for a draw until Fairhurst swept home another Newton cross to earn Lincoln victory.
VIEW FROM THE DRESSING ROOM
Lincoln City manager Gary Simpson told BBC Radio Lincolnshire:
"I'm highly delighted, we've beaten a good technical football team. We set our stall out, worked very hard and the lads got their rewards for it.
"I'm not saying we worked their keeper a lot but we always looked more dangerous, getting things in the box and putting them at sixes and sevens and Waide's come in and bagged two good goals.
"I've tried to put a squad together and you never know how they'll gel or who'll play better with who.
"Once they all start hitting form I'll have a headache, but against a good team today I thought we did well."
Forest Green Rovers manager Dave Hockaday told BBC Radio Gloucestershire:
"It was just a horrible messy game. We've played into their hands and we haven't played our game, so we have to look to ourselves.
"I thought defensively we were strong and they had very few chances. We didn't get the fluency to our passing, the quality on the ball wasn't good enough and upfront I didn't think the movement was there.
"It looked like a 1-1 but we've had about four chances to clear the ball and we haven't. The lad's put it in the top corner today and fair play to him but it was a really disappointing level of performance from us today."
"There's no need to panic. If we'd come away with a draw that would've been more than fair."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 17 August 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|Lincoln City||2-1||Forest Green||FT|
- 01 Farman
- 03 Newton
- 05 Boyce yellow card
- 23 Brown
- 06 Fofana
- 08 Power yellow card
- 15 Gray yellow card
- 19 Nolan
- 07 Fairhurst (Foster 90+3)
- 09 Rowe yellow card
- 11 Tomlinson
- 31 Preece,
- 02 Miller,
- 27 Foster,
- 12 Sheridan,
- 17 Dixon
- 01 Russell
- 02 Hodgkiss
- 03 Stokes
- 06 Bennett
- 27 Pilkington
- 04 Bangura
- 08 Klukowski
- 23 Barry (Williams 87)
- 24 Kelly
- 07 Norwood (Koroma 88)
- 18 Barnes-Homer (Vieira 73)
- 13 Bulman,
- 12 Asafu-Adjaye,
- 10 Vieira,
- 20 Koroma,
- 25 Williams
- Lincoln City 41%
- Forest Green 59%
Attempts on target
- Lincoln City 3
- Forest Green 1
Attempts off target
- Lincoln City 4
- Forest Green 2
- Lincoln City 4
- Forest Green 4
- Lincoln City 12
- Forest Green 8
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+5:45 The final whistle goes and the game is over.
- 90:00+5:00 Booking
- 90:00+4:47 Danny Rowe gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jared Hodgkiss. Caution for Danny Rowe.
- 90:00+1:34 Substitution Luke Foster is brought on as a substitute for Waide Fairhurst.
- 90:00+1:34 The referee blows for offside. Free kick taken by Paul Farman.
- 86:52 Substitution Omar Koroma comes on in place of James Norwood.
- 86:52 Substitution Saul Williams on for Anthony Barry.
- 86:52 Unfair challenge on Andrew Boyce by Magno Vieira results in a free kick. Paul Farman takes the free kick.
- 85:20 Assist by Sean Newton.
- 85:20 GOAL - Waide Fairhurst:Lincoln City 2 - 1 Forest Green Waide Fairhurst scores a right footed goal. Lincoln City 2-1 Forest Green.
- 80:14 Unfair challenge on Andrew Boyce by Yan Klukowski results in a free kick. Paul Farman takes the free kick.
- 73:36 Corner taken by Marcus Kelly. Clearance by Nathaniel Brown.
- 70:26 Substitution Magno Vieira comes on in place of Matthew Barnes-Homer.
- 70:26 Corner from the right by-line taken by Marcus Kelly.
- 69:52 The assistant referee flags for offside against Matthew Barnes-Homer. Paul Farman restarts play with the free kick.
- 67:21 Corner taken by Alan Power. Clearance made by Al Bangura.
- 65:51 Chris Stokes delivers the ball.
- 64:28 Foul by James Norwood on Andrew Boyce, free kick awarded. Paul Farman restarts play with the free kick.
- 63:43 Booking
- 63:33 Free kick awarded for a foul by Daniel Gray on Chris Stokes. Free kick taken by Dale Bennett. Booking for Daniel Gray for unsporting behaviour.
- 62:21 Waide Fairhurst takes a shot. Fine finger tip save by Sam Russell.Corner taken by Sean Newton from the right by-line.
- 52:56 Waide Fairhurst has an effort at goal and missed to the left of the target.
- 51:44 Free kick awarded for a foul by Chris Stokes on Alan Power. Daniel Gray restarts play with the free kick.
- 50:10 Booking
- 49:47 Free kick awarded for a foul by Andrew Boyce on Marcus Kelly. Andrew Boyce goes into the referee's book. Anthony Barry restarts play with the free kick.
- 48:11 Header by Yan Klukowski misses to the right of the target.
- 46:10 Unfair challenge on Chris Stokes by Andrew Boyce results in a free kick. Sam Russell restarts play with the free kick.
- 45:01 The second half kicks off.
- Half Time
- 45:00+7:39 The half-time whistle blows.
- 45:00+1:43 Corner taken by Anthony Barry.
- 43:14 Ben Tomlinson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Dale Bennett. Free kick taken by Sam Russell.
- 41:46 Booking
- 40:56 Free kick awarded for a foul by Alan Power on Chris Stokes. Alan Power receives a caution for unsporting behaviour. Sam Russell takes the free kick.
- 38:52 Danny Rowe has an effort at goal and missed to the right of the target.
- 36:34 Unfair challenge on Daniel Gray by Yan Klukowski results in a free kick. Sean Newton restarts play with the free kick.
- 36:04 Unfair challenge on Nathaniel Brown by Matthew Barnes-Homer results in a free kick. Paul Farman takes the free kick.
- 33:16 Corner from the left by-line taken by Alan Power. Unfair challenge on Yan Klukowski by Andrew Boyce results in a free kick. Sam Russell takes the free kick.
- 32:24 Waide Fairhurst fouled by George Pilkington, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick crossed by Sean Newton. Al Bangura manages to make a clearance.
- 28:21 Alan Power challenges James Norwood unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Anthony Barry. Anthony Barry has an effort at goal and missed to the left of the net.
- 26:38 The assist for the goal came from Sean Newton.
- 26:38 GOAL - Waide Fairhurst:Lincoln City 1 - 1 Forest Green Waide Fairhurst scores with their left foot. Lincoln City 1-1 Forest Green.
- 25:55 Free kick awarded for a foul by Dale Bennett on Danny Rowe. Sean Newton restarts play with the free kick.
- 21:53 The referee blows for offside. Sean Newton restarts play with the free kick.
- 19:07 GOAL - Anthony Barry:Lincoln City 0 - 1 Forest Green Anthony Barry slots the ball right footed into the goal. Lincoln City 0-1 Forest Green.
- 17:31 Waide Fairhurst has an effort at goal and missed to the right of the net.
- 16:11 Waide Fairhurst gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Al Bangura. Marcus Kelly takes the free kick.
- 12:05 Al Bangura fouled by Danny Rowe, the ref awards a free kick. Dale Bennett takes the free kick.
- 8:04 Alan Power takes a shot and went wide of the right hand upright.
- 4:53 Corner taken by Sean Newton from the right by-line. Al Bangura makes a clearance. Foul by Nathaniel Brown on Jared Hodgkiss, free kick awarded. Sam Russell restarts play with the free kick.
- 3:43 Matthew Barnes-Homer fouled by Alan Power, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Chris Stokes.
- 0:54 Corner taken by Marcus Kelly.
- 0:00 The game gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.