Dinamo Tbilisi 0 - 5 Tottenham
Roberto Soldado continued his fine start at Tottenham by scoring twice as his side outclassed a poor Dinamo Tbilisi to take control of their Europa League qualifying play-off tie.
Andros Townsend served a reminder of his value by scoring on the counter attack after 12 minutes before crossing for Paulinho and Soldado finishes.
Dinamo rarely threatened with Jaba Dvali's header saved by Hugo Lloris.
But Danny Rose's strike and a Soldado tap-in look to have settled the tie.
Spurs could have made it six when substitute Harry Kane hit the bar late on following Nacer Chadli's lofted cross but once Andre Villas-Boas's side established their superiority at the end of the first half, they had few worries.
Time for Townsend?
- Tottenham Academy graduate Andros Townsend has been on loan at nine clubs since signing a professional contract in 2008: Yeovil, Leyton Orient, MK Dons, Ipswich, Watford, Millwall, Leeds, Birmingham and QPR
Striker Soldado, who joined Tottenham from Valencia for a record £26m fee and scored 24 goals in 35 games last season, picked up where he left off by netting on his debut in a 1-0 Premier League win at Crystal Palace on Sunday.
And with Gareth Bale set to join Real Madrid, the emphatic scoreline in Georgia showed that Villas-Boas' side have a depth that they perhaps lacked last season when the Welsh winger was a talismanic presence.
In addition to Soldado, Spurs have also recruited Etienne Capoue, who impressed on his full debut, while other summer signings Chadli and Paulinho were effective.
Tottenham will face far sterner tests this season, but the performance of Townsend will also offer his manager encouragement.
Townsend, who is a Spurs Academy graduate, has only made a handful of appearances since signing professional forms in 2008 and has been on loan at nine different clubs.
But with Bale close to leaving and Aaron Lennon injured, the 22-year-old made the most of his opportunity on a rare European start.
The visitors survived a scare before they went ahead, when Younes Kaboul deflected Elguja Grigalashvili's shot after a decent run, and when the opener came it was moments after a Dinamo corner.
Gylfi Sigurdsson cleared the set piece, but with men drawn forward, Townsend latched onto the loose ball in his own half, raced forward and cut inside a defender to fire in from 22 yards.
It was a classy strike, and settled any Spurs nerves as Villas-Boas attempts to repeat the Europa League title win he achieved while in charge of Porto in 2011.
Georgia's champions Dinamo, who dropped into the Europa League after losing a Champions League third qualifying round tie to Steaua Bucharest, were denied when Lloris had to make a fine stop following Dvali's stooped header before the half-hour mark.
Just before half-time, the hosts lost their top scorer from last season, Xisco, to injury and were blunt in attack afterwards.
And two minutes before the break, Townsend found space down the right, turned to put a Dinamo defender on his backside and then chipped in to the unmarked Paulinho, who headed in.
Tottenham looked comfortable from the start of the second half and put the game beyond reach after 58 minutes when Townsend dribbled to the byline and cut the ball back to Soldado for an easy finish.
Rose fired superbly into the top corner after good work by substitute Chadli just before the hour mark, and then Soldado grabbed his third goal in two games when he tucked in at the back post following Chadli's fizzing cross.
There were isolated chances for Dinamo's Giorgi Merebashvili and Grigalashvili but Lloris was determined to keep a clean sheet with two fine stops.
Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas on Andros Townsend's display: "Andros has been working well in training, so we felt it was time to give him an opportunity and he did very well.
"If we have the type of performance we had [from him today] we can always count on him.
"For all the young players we are bringing through, the competition they face is extremely difficult and in my opinion, when you overcome that type of opposition you can only become a top player.
"He is doing it the right way. He seems very focused after last year's experience."
Live text and stats
Thursday, 22 August 2013
Europa Lge qualifying
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 77 Loria
- 12 Khurtsilava yellow card
- 16 Kvirkvelia
- 30 Gvelesiani yellow card
- 06 Kvaratskhelia
- 10 Merebashvilli
- 19 Grigalashvili
- 32 Glisic (Papava 46)
- 88 Dzaria (Goga 81)
- 09 Dvali
- 28 Xisco (Vouho 42)
- 25 Zarkua,
- 04 Ustaritz,
- 15 Papava,
- 05 Khocholava,
- 07 Seturidze,
- 21 Goga,
- 99 Vouho
- 25 Lloris
- 03 Rose yellow card
- 04 Kaboul
- 16 Naughton
- 20 Dawson
- 08 Paulinho (Carroll 71)
- 15 Capoue
- 17 Townsend
- 22 Sigurdsson (Chadli 61)
- 09 Soldado (Kane 71)
- 19 Dembele yellow card
- Dinamo Tbilisi 44%
- Tottenham 56%
Attempts on target
- Dinamo Tbilisi 5
- Tottenham 7
Attempts off target
- Dinamo Tbilisi 4
- Tottenham 7
- Dinamo Tbilisi 6
- Tottenham 2
- Dinamo Tbilisi 7
- Tottenham 14
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+1:00 The final whistle goes and the game is over.
- 89:12 Elguja Grigalashvili produces a cross that goes out of play.
- 88:34 Corner taken by Elguja Grigalashvili from the right by-line. Clearance made by Michael Dawson.
- 87:16 Corner taken by Elguja Grigalashvili.
- 84:36 Elguja Grigalashvili produces a cross. Shot by Patrick Vouho went wide of the right-hand post.
- 82:10 Header by Harry Kane strikes the woodwork.
- 81:44 Elguja Grigalashvili has an effort at goal. Hugo Lloris parries the ball away.
- 80:36 Substitution Dorin Goga comes on in place of Irakli Dzaria.
- 79:49 Jaba Dvali is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Free kick taken by Hugo Lloris.
- 78:44 Unfair challenge on Harry Kane by Givi Kvaratskhelia results in a free kick. Nacer Chadli restarts play with the free kick.
- 74:13 Andros Townsend takes a shot and went wide left of the net.
- 73:58 Centre by Elguja Grigalashvili. Etienne Capoue manages to make a clearance.
- 72:43 Mousa Dembele gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Giorgi Papava. Giorgi Papava takes the free kick.
- 70:08 Substitution Harry Kane joins the action as a substitute, replacing Roberto Soldado.
- 70:08 Substitution Joe Paulo Paulinho leaves the field to be replaced by Tom Carroll.
- 68:06 Giorgi Merebashvilli takes a shot. Hugo Lloris safely holds on.
- 66:54 Nacer Chadli provided the assist for the goal.
- 66:54 GOAL - Roberto Soldado:Dinamo Tbilisi 0 - 5 Tottenham Roberto Soldado grabs a goal with a right foot finish. Dinamo Tbilisi 0-5 Spurs.
- 66:50 The ball is swung over by Nacer Chadli.
- 63:56 Nacer Chadli provided the assist for the goal.
- 63:56 GOAL - Danny Rose:Dinamo Tbilisi 0 - 4 Tottenham Danny Rose scores with their right foot. Dinamo Tbilisi 0-4 Spurs.
- 63:10 The ball is swung over by Andros Townsend. Shot by Joe Paulo Paulinho went wide right of the target.
- 60:07 Substitution Nacer Chadli replaces Gylfi Sigurdsson.
- 59:03 Booking
- 59:00 David Khurtsilava fouled by Danny Rose, the ref awards a free kick. Booking for Danny Rose for unsporting behaviour. Giorgi Merebashvilli crosses the ball in from the free kick. Hugo Lloris catches the ball.
- 57:36 Assist on the goal came from Andros Townsend.
- 57:36 GOAL - Roberto Soldado:Dinamo Tbilisi 0 - 3 Tottenham Roberto Soldado scores with their right foot. Dinamo Tbilisi 0-3 Spurs.
- 56:51 Jaba Dvali takes a shot. Hugo Lloris catches the ball.
- 56:17 Elguja Grigalashvili crosses the ball. Clearance made by Kyle Naughton. Corner from the right by-line taken by Elguja Grigalashvili.
- 55:47 Corner taken by Gylfi Sigurdsson from the left by-line.
- 55:35 Danny Rose delivers the ball. David Khurtsilava gets a block in.
- 54:31 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Giorgi Papava by Joe Paulo Paulinho. Giorgi Papava restarts play with the free kick.
- 51:30 Etienne Capoue challenges Giorgi Merebashvilli unfairly and gives away a free kick. The ball is sent over by Elguja Grigalashvili. Header by Giorgi Papava goes over the bar.
- 51:11 Mousa Dembele challenges Elguja Grigalashvili unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by David Khurtsilava.
- 46:11 Corner taken by Giorgi Merebashvilli from the right by-line. Header at goal by Giorgi Gvelesiani misses left of the target.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- 45:01 Substitution Giorgi Papava on for Darko Glisic.
- 45:00+1:02 Danny Rose takes a shot. Giorgi Loria safely holds on.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:52 The first half comes to an end.
- 45:00+0:24 Dato Kvirkvelia challenges Andros Townsend unfairly and gives away a free kick. Gylfi Sigurdsson crosses the ball in from the free kick. Elguja Grigalashvili manages to make a clearance.
- 43:03 The assist for the goal came from Andros Townsend.
- 43:03 GOAL - Joe Paulo Paulinho:Dinamo Tbilisi 0 - 2 Tottenham Joe Paulo Paulinho scores a headed goal. Dinamo Tbilisi 0-2 Spurs.
- 41:52 Mousa Dembele concedes a free kick for a foul on Irakli Dzaria. Giorgi Gvelesiani restarts play with the free kick.
- 41:05 Substitution Munoz Xisco leaves the field to be replaced by Patrick Vouho.
- 37:29 Booking
- 37:14 Mousa Dembele gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Giorgi Merebashvilli. Mousa Dembele receives a caution for unsporting behaviour. Irakli Dzaria restarts play with the free kick. Elguja Grigalashvili takes a shot and goes over the bar.
- 36:16 Danny Rose crosses the ball. Giorgi Loria dives and deflects the ball away.Corner from the left by-line taken by Gylfi Sigurdsson. Header at goal by Michael Dawson goes right of the post.
- 33:59 Etienne Capoue takes a shot.
- 29:08 Booking
- 29:02 David Khurtsilava concedes a free kick for a foul on Gylfi Sigurdsson. Booking for David Khurtsilava. Danny Rose restarts play with the free kick.
- 26:53 Danny Rose challenges David Khurtsilava unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Giorgi Gvelesiani.
- 25:59 Munoz Xisco sends in a cross that goes out.
- 24:33 Gylfi Sigurdsson challenges David Khurtsilava unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Munoz Xisco. The ball is swung over by Dato Kvirkvelia. Jaba Dvali takes a shot. A parry by Hugo Lloris prevents the goal. Corner taken by Munoz Xisco from the right by-line.
- 23:48 Free kick awarded for a foul by Mousa Dembele on Irakli Dzaria. Giorgi Gvelesiani restarts play with the free kick.
- 22:43 Free kick awarded for a foul by Mousa Dembele on Giorgi Merebashvilli. Darko Glisic restarts play with the free kick.
- 20:29 Booking
- 20:27 Giorgi Gvelesiani challenges Andros Townsend unfairly and gives away a free kick. The referee cautions Giorgi Gvelesiani for unsporting behaviour. Strike comes in from Gylfi Sigurdsson from the free kick and misses right of the target.
- 19:56 Irakli Dzaria concedes a free kick for a foul on Gylfi Sigurdsson. Joe Paulo Paulinho takes the free kick.
- 17:06 Roberto Soldado takes a shot. Giorgi Loria makes a block.
- 14:15 Jaba Dvali gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Etienne Capoue. Hugo Lloris takes the free kick.
- 11:39 Assist by Kyle Naughton.
- 11:39 GOAL - Andros Townsend:Dinamo Tbilisi 0 - 1 Tottenham Andros Townsend slots the ball left footed into the goal. Dinamo Tbilisi 0-1 Spurs.
- 10:58 Elguja Grigalashvili takes a shot. Blocked by Younes Kaboul. Corner taken by Munoz Xisco from the right by-line. Clearance by Michael Dawson.
- 7:56 Munoz Xisco is caught offside. Michael Dawson takes the free kick.
- 7:17 Joe Paulo Paulinho takes a shot.
- 5:51 The assistant referee flags for offside against Munoz Xisco. Hugo Lloris restarts play with the free kick.
- 5:33 Jaba Dvali fouled by Etienne Capoue, the ref awards a free kick. David Khurtsilava takes the free kick.
- 3:19 Jaba Dvali is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Hugo Lloris takes the free kick.
- 3:00 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on David Khurtsilava by Gylfi Sigurdsson. Irakli Dzaria restarts play with the free kick.
- 1:53 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jaba Dvali by Mousa Dembele. Free kick taken by Giorgi Gvelesiani.
- 1:02 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jaba Dvali on Roberto Soldado. Free kick taken by Mousa Dembele.
- 0:00 The game begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.