Queen of South 2 - 1 St Mirren
Queen of the South dumped holders St Mirren out of the League Cup after a dramatic period of extra time.
Following a goalless 90 minutes, home goalkeeper Calum Antell saved a Paul McGowan penalty before a Steven Thompson header crept in.
But the home side levelled with a great 20-yard strike from Stephen McKenna.
And a well-executed strike from Michael Paton caught out Buddies keeper David Cornell to maintain the Championship side's good cup record.
In last season's tournament St Mirren stunned Celtic in the semi-finals before breaking Hearts at Hampden with a 3-2 victory to claim their first major trophy in 26 years.
But Danny Lennon's men have managed just one win since that triumph in March.
The visitors' lack of confidence was evident as Queen's energetic pressing caused them all sorts of problems in the opening period.
While Saints struggled to link up, the hosts were menacing, with Derek Lyle the first to threaten when he fired half a foot over Cornell's crossbar after just six minutes.
McKenna then sprayed a ball left for Daniel Carmichael to catch but the sprightly winger send his shot wide after cutting past David van Zanten.
A lapse in concentration from St Mirren's Gary Teale let in Paton to fire off a shot which Cornell did well to beat away, before Saints finally conjured an attempt on goal on the stroke of half-time.
Gary Harkins strode forward from his own half, nutmegging an opponent as he went, before thudding the upright from 20 yards.
The Buddies improved after the break, with John McGinn's long-range strike producing a good save from Antell.
With 80 minutes gone, Harkins found the side-netting after Gary Teale's driving run and cross but Queens held out for extra-time.
And there was drama just three minutes into the additional period as Thompson was felled by Paton in the box, only for Antell to keep out substitute McGowan's spot-kick.
Saints quickly recovered from that setback as Harkins crossed for Thompson just two minutes later and the former Scotland striker found the net with a downward header.
But Ramsdens Cup holders Queens responded when McKenna ripped a 20-yard screamer past Cornell two minutes before the turn-around to level the match.
And Saints' reign as champions was ended five minutes from time when Antell's long punt was misjudged by St Mirren skipper Jim Goodwin, opening the space for Paton to steer a clever lob beyond the stranded Cornell.
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 27 August 2013
Scottish League Cup
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|Queen of Sth||2-1||St Mirren||FT|
Queen of South
- 01 Antell
- 02 Mitchell
- 03 Holt yellow card
- 05 Durnan
- 06 Dowie
- 04 Young (Reilly 70)
- 07 McKenna
- 08 Burns (McGuffie 18)
- 09 Lyle
- 10 Paton
- 11 Carmichael (Russell 83 yellow card)
- 12 Atkinson,
- 16 McGuffie,
- 17 Higgins,
- 14 Reilly,
- 15 Russell
- 01 Cornell
- 02 van Zanten yellow card
- 06 Goodwin
- 14 McAusland yellow card
- 27 Grainger
- 07 McGinn
- 11 Mclean
- 21 Teale (Caprice 104)
- 24 Newton (McGowan 76)
- 08 Harkins yellow card
- 09 Thompson
- 30 Dilo,
- 04 McGregor,
- 10 McGowan,
- 16 Caprice,
- 17 Reilly
- Queen of Sth 49%
- St Mirren 51%
Attempts on target
- Queen of Sth 9
- St Mirren 5
Attempts off target
- Queen of Sth 5
- St Mirren 6
- Queen of Sth 4
- St Mirren 7
- Queen of Sth 11
- St Mirren 9
- Final Result
- Extra Time Complete
- 120:00+0:16 The whistle goes and the game ends after extra time.
- 114:51 Assist on the goal came from Calum Antell.
- 114:51 GOAL - Michael Paton:Queen of South 2 - 1 St Mirren Michael Paton scores with a left foot finish. Queen of South 2-1 St Mirren.
- 113:35 Free kick taken by Jim Goodwin.
- 113:09 Iain Russell receives a yellow card.
- 113:09 Booking
- 113:00 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Gary Harkins by Iain Russell.
- 112:34 Jake Caprice takes the chance to get an effort at goal. Calum Antell safely holds on.
- 111:00 The ball is swung over by Gary Harkins.
- Extra Time Started
- 105:01 The referee blows to get the second half of extra time under way.
- Extra Time Half Time
- 104:48 Shot by Iain Russell. David Cornell safely holds on.
- 104:13 Christopher Mitchell takes the free kick.
- 104:04 Foul by Paul McGowan on Stephen McKenna, free kick awarded.
- 103:20 Substitution Jake Caprice joins the action as a substitute, replacing Gary Teale.
- 102:17 Michael Paton provided the assist for the goal.
- 102:17 GOAL - Stephen McKenna:Queen of South 1 - 1 St Mirren Stephen McKenna slots the ball right footed into the goal. Queen of South 1-1 St Mirren.
- 101:12 Iain Russell takes a shot. A parry by David Cornell prevents the goal.
- 97:43 Jim Goodwin manages to make a clearance.
- 97:39 Christopher Mitchell crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 96:50 Marc McAusland receives a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 96:50 Booking
- 96:44 Free kick awarded for a foul by Marc McAusland on Iain Russell.
- 94:11 Assist on the goal came from Gary Harkins.
- 94:11 GOAL - Steven Thompson:Queen of South 0 - 1 St Mirren Steven Thompson scores with a header. Queen of South 0-1 St Mirren.
- 94:05 Gary Harkins produces a cross.
- 93:18 A save by Calum Antell from penalty by Paul McGowan. Queen of South 0-0 St Mirren.
- 92:35 Stephen McKenna challenges Steven Thompson unfairly and gives away a Penalty.
- 90:55 A cross is delivered by Derek Lyle.
- Extra Time Started
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:21 Normal time is of over and the game goes into extra time.
- 90:00+1:32 Clearance by Derek Lyle.
- 90:00+1:09 Corner taken by Gary Teale from the right by-line.
- 90:00+0:55 Jim Goodwin sends in a cross.
- 90:00+0:39 Jim Goodwin restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+0:31 The referee blows for offside.
- 89:29 Shot by Gary Harkins went wide right of the post.
- 89:20 Paul McGowan sends in a cross.
- 85:37 Jim Goodwin restarts play with the free kick.
- 85:27 Gavin Reilly is flagged offside by the assistant referee.
- 83:03 Shot by Paul McGowan missed to the left of the net.
- 82:21 Substitution Iain Russell comes on in place of Daniel Carmichael.
- 80:52 Gary Harkins has an effort at goal and missed to the left of the net.
- 80:36 Gary Teale delivers the ball.
- 80:00 Clearance made by Andrew Dowie.
- 79:51 Gary Teale crosses the ball.
- 78:10 Mark Durnan takes the free kick.
- 77:52 Foul by Gary Harkins on Christopher Mitchell, free kick awarded.
- 77:05 Christopher Mitchell fires a strike on goal direct from the free kick over the bar.
- 76:31 Unfair challenge on Stephen McKenna by Paul McGowan results in a free kick.
- 75:36 Substitution Conor Newton goes off and Paul McGowan comes on.
- 74:50 Daniel Carmichael takes a shot and went wide left of the net.
- 74:27 Michael Paton takes a shot. David Cornell safely holds on.
- 73:16 Gary Harkins takes a shot. Calum Antell catches the ball.
- 69:39 Substitution Gavin Reilly joins the action as a substitute, replacing Derek Young.
- 68:34 Clearance by Mark Durnan.
- 68:23 Corner from the right by-line taken by Gary Teale.
- 67:05 Calum Antell takes the free kick.
- 67:02 Gary Harkins is ruled offside.
- 65:44 Shot by Gary Harkins missed to the left of the target.
- 64:56 Free kick taken by Mark Durnan.
- 64:20 Booking
- 64:20 Caution for Gary Harkins.
- 64:04 Derek Young fouled by Gary Harkins, the ref awards a free kick.
- 60:16 David Cornell restarts play with the free kick.
- 60:00 Foul by Derek Lyle on Gary Harkins, free kick awarded.
- 59:32 Clearance made by Jim Goodwin.
- 59:15 Corner taken by Christopher Mitchell.
- 58:47 Derek Lyle takes a shot. David Cornell parries the ball away.
- 57:17 Corner taken by Kenny McLean from the left by-line.
- 57:00 The ball is sent over by Kenny McLean.
- 55:11 Header by Marc McAusland misses left.
- 55:02 Corner taken by Gary Teale from the right by-line.
- 54:38 Header at goal by Steven Thompson. A parry by Calum Antell prevents the goal.
- 54:33 Gary Teale crosses the ball.
- 51:47 Jim Goodwin takes the free kick.
- 51:30 Stephen McKenna gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on John McGinn.
- 50:03 Derek Lyle produces a cross.
- 49:35 Calum Antell restarts play with the free kick.
- 49:31 The assistant referee flags for offside against Gary Harkins.
- 48:09 Clearance by Ryan McGuffie.
- 47:59 Gary Teale delivers the ball.
- 47:02 Corner taken by Gary Teale.
- 46:41 John McGinn takes a shot. Calum Antell parries the effort to safety.
- 46:20 Clearance by Mark Durnan.
- 45:17 The ball is sent over by Daniel Carmichael.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:50 The whistle is blown to end the first half.
- 45:00+1:30 Gary Harkins takes a brilliant shot and bounces off the post.
- 45:00+0:06 Corner from the left by-line taken by Gary Teale.
- 43:43 Mark Durnan manages to make a clearance.
- 43:29 Corner from the right by-line taken by Gary Teale.
- 42:32 Michael Paton has an effort at goal. David Cornell catches the ball.
- 41:28 Free kick taken by David Cornell.
- 41:18 Unfair challenge on Danny Grainger by Daniel Carmichael results in a free kick.
- 40:26 David Cornell restarts play with the free kick.
- 40:14 Booking for Kevin Holt for unsporting behaviour.
- 40:14 Booking
- 40:00 Free kick awarded for a foul by Kevin Holt on David van Zanten.
- 37:52 David Cornell takes the free kick.
- 37:45 David van Zanten fouled by Daniel Carmichael, the ref awards a free kick.
- 36:30 Shot by Mark Durnan cleared the target.
- 36:18 Clearance made by Jim Goodwin.
- 36:00 Corner taken by Christopher Mitchell from the left by-line.
- 35:41 Stephen McKenna produces a cross.
- 31:07 Clearance by Kevin Holt.
- 29:11 Mark Durnan manages to make a clearance.
- 28:55 Jim Goodwin restarts play with the free kick.
- 28:44 Andrew Dowie gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Steven Thompson.
- 28:22 Michael Paton takes a shot. David Cornell catches the ball.
- 27:20 Free kick taken by Christopher Mitchell.
- 26:52 John McGinn challenges Derek Young unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 23:05 David Cornell takes the free kick.
- 22:49 Andrew Dowie gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on David van Zanten.
- 22:35 Corner taken by Christopher Mitchell from the right by-line.
- 22:14 Michael Paton has an effort at goal. David Cornell parries the ball away.
- 20:44 Derek Young restarts play with the free kick.
- 20:37 Unfair challenge on Mark Durnan by Steven Thompson results in a free kick.
- 19:22 Free kick taken by Calum Antell.
- 19:01 Unfair challenge on Mark Durnan by Steven Thompson results in a free kick.
- 17:51 Substitution Ryan McGuffie on for Paul Burns.
- 15:34 Shot by Daniel Carmichael went wide right of the target.
- 15:02 The ball is delivered by Kenny McLean.
- 10:35 Free kick taken by Marc McAusland.
- 10:21 Derek Young challenges John McGinn unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 9:01 Free kick taken by Kevin Holt.
- 8:49 Booking
- 8:49 Booking for David van Zanten.
- 8:26 Foul by David van Zanten on Daniel Carmichael, free kick awarded.
- 5:25 Shot by Derek Lyle went wide of the right-hand post.
- 3:35 Free kick taken by David Cornell.
- 3:33 Derek Lyle is caught offside.
- 2:59 David Cornell takes the free kick.
- 2:45 Marc McAusland fouled by Mark Durnan, the ref awards a free kick.
- 2:36 Corner from the right by-line taken by Christopher Mitchell.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to begin the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.