Stranraer 3 - 2 Ross County
Martin Grehan's winner gave Stranraer a brilliant victory against Premiership side Ross County in the League Cup second round tie at Stair Park.
Richie Brittain put County ahead from the spot but Sean Winter levelled for Stranraer in the second half.
The hosts went ahead when Chris Aitken scored a penalty but County immediately pegged them back through Orhan Mustafi's close-range finish.
But Grehan latched onto a quickly taken set-piece to score the deciding goal.
Therefore the return journey of Ross County's 532 mile round trip will now feel even longer.
Two leagues separate these sides but the opening exchanges did not give that impression.
Stranraer's good pressing and forward passing meant they spent much of the first 15 minutes putting lots of pressure on the County defence.
Grehan's right-foot shot was saved by the feet of visiting goalkeeper Mark Brown, while Blues winger Mark Corcoran was also making a nuisance of himself.
County's Ivan Sproule did his best to make inroads to Stranraer's back-line, but Derek Adams' men could not create anything for home goalkeeper David Mitchell to save.
However the Highlanders were handed an opportunity on a plate on the stroke of half-time.
Stranraer midfielder Grant Gallagher fouled Grant Munro at a corner and referee Stephen Finnie pointed to the spot for what seemed a soft penalty.
Brittain stepped up to net his third goal in two games as Stranraer manager Stevie Aitken expressed his anger at the penalty award.
Despite that, the Blues opened the second half in as positively a manner as they had the first - Chris Aitken's powerful shot dealt with by Brown.
Ross County manager Derek Adams
“We're making individual errors but Stranraer played well tonight.”
And Stranraer soon got what they deserved when a long diagonal ball was flicked into the path of Winter to side-foot his second of the season past Brown.
It got even better for Stevie Aitken's side when County's Mihael Kovacevic fouled Winter in the box to earn a penalty which the manager's brother, Chris Aitken, converted.
However, the eight travelling fans from Dingwall had an equaliser to cheer when substitute Mustafi scrambled home in a crowded goal-mouth.
The scoring did not stop there, though, and Grehan - a thorn in the side of the visitors all night - got on the end of a quick free-kick on a flash and made no mistake with his finish.
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 27 August 2013
Scottish League Cup
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Mitchell
- 02 Rumsby
- 03 Kinnaird
- 04 Robertson yellow card
- 05 McKeown
- 06 Aitken
- 07 Winter (MacGregor 90+1)
- 08 Gallagher
- 11 Corcoran (Borris 84)
- 09 Grehan
- 10 McKenna (Longworth 73)
- 20 Fahey,
- 15 Stirling,
- 16 MacGregor,
- 12 Borris,
- 14 Longworth
- 01 Brown
- 02 Kovacevic yellow card
- 03 Gordon yellow card
- 12 Munro
- 21 McLean
- 04 Kettlewell yellow card
- 08 Brittain
- 10 Quinn
- 23 Carey (Maatsen 85)
- 07 Sproule (De Leeuw 85)
- 19 Luckassen yellow card (Mustafi 60)
- 20 Fraser,
- 05 Boyd,
- 09 Mustafi,
- 11 De Leeuw,
- 14 Maatsen
- Stranraer 49%
- Ross County 51%
Attempts on target
- Stranraer 2
- Ross County 3
Attempts off target
- Stranraer 2
- Ross County 1
- Stranraer 5
- Ross County 4
- Stranraer 6
- Ross County 18
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:23 The referee ends the match.
- 90:00+2:43 Free kick taken by David MacGregor.
- 90:00+2:20 Ben Gordon concedes a free kick for a foul on Jamie Longworth.
- 90:00+1:01 David Mitchell takes the free kick.
- 90:00+0:44 Substitution David MacGregor joins the action as a substitute, replacing Sean Winter.
- 90:00+0:27 Orhan Mustafi concedes a free kick for a foul on Frank McKeown.
- 88:24 Mark Brown takes the free kick.
- 88:16 Jamie Longworth is caught offside.
- 88:07 Free kick taken by Christopher Aitken.
- 87:59 Foul by Brian McLean on Martin Grehan, free kick awarded.
- 86:38 Christopher Aitken restarts play with the free kick.
- 86:33 Booking
- 86:33 Mihael Kovacevic is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 86:25 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Martin Grehan by Mihael Kovacevic.
- 85:19 Brian McLean restarts play with the free kick.
- 85:11 Martin Grehan is penalised for handball and concedes a free kick.
- 84:29 Substitution Darren Maatsen on for Graham Carey.
- 84:24 Substitution Melvin De Leeuw on for Ivan Sproule.
- 83:15 Substitution Ryan Borris replaces Mark Corcoran.
- 81:11 Assist on the goal came from Grant Gallagher.
- 81:11 GOAL - Martin Grehan:Stranraer 3 - 2 Ross County Martin Grehan scores with a right foot finish. Stranraer 3-2 Ross County.
- 79:58 Grant Gallagher takes the free kick.
- 79:50 Orhan Mustafi gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Scott Rumsby.
- 79:19 Corner from the right by-line taken by Mark Corcoran.
- 78:49 Assist by Grant Munro.
- 78:49 GOAL - Orhan Mustafi:Stranraer 2 - 2 Ross County Orhan Mustafi scores with a left foot finish. Stranraer 2-2 Ross County.
- 78:37 Corner taken by Ivan Sproule from the right by-line.
- 75:50 Free kick taken by David Mitchell.
- 75:44 Foul by Rocco Quinn on Grant Gallagher, free kick awarded.
- 75:25 Clearance made by Mark Brown.
- 74:58 Free kick crossed by Christopher Aitken.
- 74:52 Free kick awarded for a foul by Mihael Kovacevic on Jamie Longworth.
- 72:40 Substitution Jamie Longworth comes on in place of David McKenna.
- 71:39 Free kick taken by David Mitchell.
- 71:37 Ivan Sproule is flagged offside by the assistant referee.
- 70:38 GOAL - Christopher Aitken:Stranraer 2 - 1 Ross County Christopher Aitken scores a penalty. Stranraer 2-1 Ross County.
- 70:09 Unfair challenge on Sean Winter by Mihael Kovacevic results in a Penalty.
- 69:39 Corner from the left by-line taken by Christopher Aitken.
- 69:04 Orhan Mustafi takes the chance to get an effort at goal and missed to the right of the target.
- 67:58 Free kick crossed by Christopher Aitken.
- 67:51 Foul by Mihael Kovacevic on David McKenna, free kick awarded.
- 64:45 The assist for the goal came from Martin Grehan.
- 64:45 GOAL - Sean Winter:Stranraer 1 - 1 Ross County Sean Winter scores a right footed goal. Stranraer 1-1 Ross County.
- 64:23 Free kick taken by David Mitchell.
- 64:17 Booking
- 64:17 Stuart Kettlewell receives a caution.
- 64:10 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Scott Rumsby by Stuart Kettlewell.
- 62:14 Brian McLean takes the free kick.
- 61:58 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Brian McLean by Martin Grehan.
- 61:26 Direct strike on goal from the free kick by Christopher Aitken goes left of the target.
- Correction - 60:57 Ben Gordon receives a yellow card for dissent.
- Correction - 60:57 Booking
- 60:57 The referee shows Rocco Quinn a yellow card.
- 60:57 Booking
- 60:26 Ryan Borris fouled by Grant Munro, the ref awards a free kick.
- 59:48 Substitution (Ross County) makes a substitution, with Orhan Mustafi coming on for Kevin Luckassen.
- 55:31 Christopher Aitken takes a shot and missed to the left of the net.
- 55:04 David Mitchell restarts play with the free kick.
- 55:00 The referee penalises Kevin Luckassen for handball.
- 54:27 Mark Brown takes the free kick.
- 54:21 The referee gives a free kick against Martin Grehan for handball.
- 52:53 Mark Corcoran restarts play with the free kick.
- 52:45 Ben Gordon challenges Sean Winter unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 49:19 Lloyd Kinnaird makes a clearance.
- 49:14 Graham Carey crosses the ball.
- 46:44 Clearance by Frank McKeown.
- 46:22 Corner taken by Richard Brittain from the left by-line.
- 45:01 The second half kicks off.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:21 The whistle is blown to end the first half.
- 45:00+0:14 Scott Robertson is shown a yellow card.
- 44:22 GOAL - Richard Brittain:Stranraer 0 - 1 Ross County Penalty taken right-footed by Richard Brittain and scored. Stranraer 0-1 Ross County.
- 43:29 Sean Winter gives away a Penalty for an unfair challenge on Grant Munro.
- 42:53 Corner taken by Richard Brittain.
- Correction - 42:00 Scott Robertson is cautioned by the ref for dissent.
- Correction - 42:00 Booking
- 40:40 David Mitchell takes the free kick.
- 40:34 Kevin Luckassen goes into the book for unsporting behaviour.
- 40:34 Booking
- 40:23 Foul by Kevin Luckassen on Frank McKeown, free kick awarded.
- 39:45 Shot by Stuart Kettlewell. David Mitchell safely holds on.
- 38:58 Free kick taken by Grant Munro.
- 38:53 Grant Gallagher gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Richard Brittain.
- 38:28 The ball is crossed by Ivan Sproule.
- 37:08 Free kick taken by David Mitchell.
- 37:02 Foul by Kevin Luckassen on Frank McKeown, free kick awarded.
- 35:25 David Mitchell restarts play with the free kick.
- 35:16 Ivan Sproule is ruled offside.
- 34:45 A cross is delivered by Stuart Kettlewell.
- 31:34 Richard Brittain takes a shot. David Mitchell catches the ball.
- 28:44 Clearance made by Frank McKeown.
- 28:12 Corner taken by Richard Brittain.
- 26:34 Mark Brown restarts play with the free kick.
- 26:23 Scott Rumsby challenges Mihael Kovacevic unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 25:56 Corner taken by Mark Corcoran from the right by-line.
- 24:18 Mark Brown restarts play with the free kick.
- 24:14 The assistant referee flags for offside against Mark Corcoran.
- 23:45 Frank McKeown takes the free kick.
- 23:35 Free kick awarded for a foul by Stuart Kettlewell on Mark Corcoran.
- 21:07 Clearance by Grant Gallagher.
- 14:15 Mark Brown takes the free kick.
- 14:03 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Mihael Kovacevic by Martin Grehan.
- 13:50 Frank McKeown takes the free kick.
- 13:41 Kevin Luckassen concedes a free kick for a foul on Scott Rumsby.
- 10:00 Brian McLean manages to make a clearance.
- 9:42 Corner taken by Christopher Aitken.
- 8:58 Christopher Aitken takes the free kick.
- 8:51 Foul by Stuart Kettlewell on Mark Corcoran, free kick awarded.
- 4:34 David Mitchell restarts play with the free kick.
- 4:26 Free kick awarded for a foul by Graham Carey on Grant Gallagher.
- 2:50 Corner from the left by-line taken by Christopher Aitken.
- 2:12 Mark Brown restarts play with the free kick.
- 2:05 Grant Gallagher concedes a free kick for a foul on Grant Munro.
- 0:00 The match has kicked off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.