Watford sealed their place in the third round of the Capital One Cup with a hard-earned victory over Bournemouth.
Elliott Ward diverted the ball into his own net to give Watford the lead and Jonathan Bond tipped Cherries striker Brett Pitman's free kick onto the post.
Andrew Surman saw his header fly just wide while Shaun MacDonald twice went close for the visitors.
But Watford sealed victory with Cristian Battocchio chipping Ryan Allsop to finish off a fine break.
Capital One Cup third round draw
- Man Utd v Liverpool
- Sunderland v Peterborough
- West Ham v Cardiff
- Man City v Wigan
- Burnley v Nott'm Forest
- Newcastle v Leeds
- Southampton v Bristol City
- West Brom v Arsenal
- Swindon v Chelsea
- Tranmere v Stoke
- Watford v Norwich
- Aston Villa v Tottenham
- Hull v Huddersfield
- Leicester v Derby
- Birmingham v Swansea
- Fulham v Everton
- Matches to be played on 24-25 September
Watford manager Gianfranco Zola, who made 10 changes, saw his side take the lead in unusual fashion after 15 minutes.
As Fernando Forestieri tried to pick out Javier Acuna from the right, Ward intercepted but his attempt to chest the ball back to Allsop looped over the helpless goalkeeper into the net.
The lead was almost doubled when an audacious cross-field pass from Forestieri set Watford away on the counter-attack and Daniel Pudil nodded the ball on to Davide Faraoni, whose low cross from the right was not far away from the sliding Acuna.
Bournemouth almost levelled with their first effort of note when Pitman's low curling effort from a free-kick was touched onto the post by keeper Bond.
Pitman also fired over after a mistake from Faraoni before Acuna went closer at the other end with a deflected 25-yard strike that flew narrowly wide of Allsop's right-hand post.
The Cherries should have equalised shortly before half-time when Marc Pugh's cross from the left picked out the unmarked Surman, but he headed badly wide.
Watford needed Bond to come to their rescue again when he raced from his line to deny MacDonald, who was put through on goal.
Bond also had to hold onto a well-stuck shot from Pugh as the visitors continued to threaten, only to be undone on the counter-attack by a superb second Hornets goal.
Acuna attacked the Cherries defence at pace before slipping the ball to Battocchio, who did not break stride as he produced a delightful chip from the edge of the area that beat a bemused Allsop via the underside off his crossbar.
Ward then met a Cherries corner with a powerful close-range header, only for Bond to pull off the save off the night to divert the ball away.
Acuna was not far away from adding a third with a curling shot as Watford saw out the remainder of the contest in relative comfort.
Live text and stats
Wednesday, 28 August 2013
- Ward (og) 15
- Battocchio 66
- Watford 50%
- Bournemouth 50%
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:19 The referee blows the whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+1:24 Free kick taken by Andrew Surman.
- 90:00+1:06 Free kick awarded for a foul by Lewis McGugan on Andrew Surman.
- 89:45 Joel Ekstrand manages to make a clearance.
- 88:13 Corner taken by Lewis McGugan from the left by-line.
- 87:41 Lewis McGugan has an effort at goal.
- 83:35 Substitution Lewis McGugan is brought on as a substitute for Javi Acuna Caballero.
- 82:10 Substitution Donal McDermott comes on in place of Marc Pugh.
- 81:36 Javi Acuna Caballero takes the chance to get an effort at goal and missed to the right of the goal.
- 79:59 A cross is delivered by Marc Pugh.
- 79:19 Centre by Marc Pugh.
- 75:37 Simon Francis takes the free kick.
- 75:17 Unfair challenge on Brett Pitman by Connor Smith results in a free kick.
- 74:38 Essaid Belkalem takes the free kick.
- 74:29 The offside flag is raised against Mohamed Coulibaly.
- 73:14 Corner from the right by-line taken by Sean Murray.
- 72:17 Shot by Daniel Pudil. Parried by Ryan Allsop back into danger.
- 71:31 Substitution Ikechi Anya replaces Marco Faraoni.
- 67:43 Header at goal by Tommy Elphick goes over the bar.
- 67:30 Corner taken by Brett Pitman.
- 65:38 GOAL - Cristian Battocchio:Watford 2 - 0 Bournemouth Cristian Battocchio slots the ball right footed into the goal. Watford 2-0 Bournemouth.
- 64:43 Clearance made by Joel Ekstrand.
- 64:35 The ball is sent over by Ian Harte.
- 62:42 Substitution (Watford) makes a substitution, with Gabriele Angella coming on for Reece Brown.
- 62:26 Substitution Shaun MacDonald goes off and Wes Thomas comes on.
- 62:21 Substitution Mohamed Coulibaly joins the action as a substitute, replacing Ryan Fraser.
- 61:13 Marc Pugh crosses the ball.
- 59:36 Marc Pugh takes the chance to get an effort at goal. Jonathan Bond parries the ball away.
- 59:16 Clearance made by Essaid Belkalem.
- 59:08 Corner from the left by-line taken by Brett Pitman.
- 58:37 Centre by Marc Pugh.
- 56:55 Shaun MacDonald has an effort at goal and missed to the right of the net.
- 56:20 Shaun MacDonald has an effort at goal and missed to the left of the target.
- 54:00 Clearance by Sean Murray.
- 53:45 The ball is sent over by Simon Francis.
- 52:52 Essaid Belkalem takes the free kick.
- 52:22 The official flags Marc Pugh offside.
- 51:46 Elliott Ward makes a clearance.
- 51:35 The ball is sent over by Sean Murray.
- 50:19 Daniel Pudil has an effort at goal and missed to the right of the net.
- 45:01 The referee starts the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:20 The half-time whistle blows.
- 44:40 Richard Hughes takes the free kick.
- 44:01 Sean Murray gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Ryan Fraser.
- 41:45 Header at goal by Andrew Surman misses to the right.
- 41:28 The ball is sent over by Marc Pugh.
- 40:57 Clearance by Simon Francis.
- 40:38 Corner taken by Cristian Battocchio from the left by-line.
- 40:03 Javi Acuna Caballero takes a shot.
- 37:55 Marco Faraoni takes the free kick.
- 37:29 The referee blows for offside against Marc Pugh.
- 36:48 Brett Pitman restarts play with the free kick.
- 36:15 Foul by Essaid Belkalem on Brett Pitman, free kick awarded.
- 36:02 Ian Harte takes the free kick.
- 35:41 Free kick awarded for a foul by Marco Faraoni on Richard Hughes.
- 35:09 Corner from the taken by Ryan Fraser.
- 34:52 Connor Smith makes a clearance.
- 34:44 Corner taken by Brett Pitman.
- 33:32 Brett Pitman produces a strike on goal direct from the free kick. Jonathan Bond parries the effort to safety.
- 31:56 Brett Pitman fouled by Essaid Belkalem, the ref awards a free kick.
- 30:03 Centre by Marco Faraoni.
- 28:25 Cristian Battocchio takes the free kick.
- 28:01 Shaun MacDonald gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Fernando Forestieri.
- 27:16 Andrew Surman restarts play with the free kick.
- 27:01 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Ryan Fraser by Cristian Battocchio.
- 22:02 The ball is delivered by Marco Faraoni.
- 21:51 Clearance made by Sean Murray.
- 21:29 Ian Harte restarts play with the free kick.
- 20:52 Cristian Battocchio concedes a free kick for a foul on Ryan Fraser.
- 17:58 Joel Ekstrand restarts play with the free kick.
- 17:48 The referee blows for offside.
- 15:44 Essaid Belkalem takes the free kick.
- 15:33 Marc Pugh is flagged offside by the assistant referee.
- 15:00 GOAL - Elliott Ward:Watford 1 - 0 Bournemouth Own goal by Elliott Ward. Watford 1-0 Bournemouth.
- 14:25 Centre by Fernando Forestieri.
- 13:08 Shot comes in from Sean Murray from the free kick which clears the target.
- 11:55 Foul by Elliott Ward on Fernando Forestieri, free kick awarded.
- 6:03 Free kick crossed by Brett Pitman.
- 5:39 Foul by Marco Faraoni on Andrew Surman, free kick awarded.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to begin the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.