Tottenham 3 - 0 Dinamo Tbilisi (agg 8 - 0)
Jermain Defoe scored twice as Tottenham cruised through to the Europa League group stage after beating Dinamo Tbilisi in the play-off second leg.
Having beaten the Georgian side 5-0 last week, Spurs once again showed the gulf between the two sides.
Defoe scored his first after 40 minutes by firing in Lewis Holtby's diagonal pass and then converted Gylfi Sigurdsson's cross before half-time.
Holtby then smashed in his first Spurs goal from 25 yards after 69 minutes.
Spurs will join Valencia, Lyon, Lazio, Fiorentina, Swansea and Wigan in the Europa League draw, to be held in Monaco at 11:45 BST on Friday.
Defoe hot in Europe
Jermain Defoe has netted 16 goals in 28 European appearances for Tottenham (including qualifiers)
And after the addition of record £26m striker Roberto Soldado, who has scored four goals in three games since joining Spurs, Defoe used a one-sided affair to make his mark on his first start of the season.
The England striker was used intermittently towards the end of last term, but with Roma forward Erik Lamela also set to join Tottenham, Defoe underlined he can play his part in his side's attempt to win four trophies this season.
Dinamo, without their injured top scorer Xisco, did not muster a shot on goal until after the break when Elguja Grigalashvili's effort was comfortably gathered by Spurs goalkeeper Brad Friedel.
But the match gave important playing time to some of Tottenham's growing squad.
Gareth Bale's impending move to Real Madrid for a world-record £86m has seen a summer of big spending at White Hart Lane with Steaua Bucharest centre-back Vlad Chiriches and Lamela the latest players set to be signed by Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas. The club are also being linked with Ajax midfielder Christian Eriksen.
Despite being beaten by Spurs, Dinamo Tbilisi could still qualify for the group stages. Uefa is holding a random draw at 08:00 BST on Friday for all qualifying play-off losers to decide who replaces Fenerbahce. The Turkish side have been banned for two years for match fixing
So first starts of the season for Defoe, Friedel, Holtby, Sandro and Tom Carroll were no doubt welcome for the players ahead of some fierce competition for starting places.
Mindful of Sunday's Premier League game against Arsenal, Villas-Boas made eight changes to the side which beat Swansea last weekend, and the team took time to find their cutting edge.
But after Defoe shot wide early on, he found his range before the break with a clever run in from the right before taking Holtby's pass and blasting into the bottom corner.
Six minutes later he scored an easy second, tapping in from two yards from Sigurdsson's centre after neat skill by Kyle Walker.
Villas-Boas, who won the Europa League with Porto in 2011, withdrew Walker and Andros Townsend in the second period.
And the remaining players were intent on trying to get on the scoresheet against such weak opposition, with Sigurdsson crashing a shot against the bar just after the hour.
Patrick Vouho had an isolated effort for the visitors when he headed wide from a free-kick.
But Holtby proved more accurate when he drove in off the crossbar.
Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas on Jermain Defoe:
"He's doing extremely well, he has in him the goalscoring ability, and he proved it once again tonight.
"We are trying to build a strong team with strong players and everybody has to compete for their place. Does he have a future? Yeah, we always want to make the team stronger so players who are in the top 10 of Tottenham's all-time scorers can only be good for the club."
Live text and stats
Thursday, 29 August 2013
Europa Lge qualifying
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|(HT 2-0)(agg 8-0)|
- 24 Friedel
- 02 Walker (Fryers 56)
- 04 Kaboul
- 05 Vertonghen
- 16 Naughton
- 14 Holtby (Dembele 76)
- 17 Townsend (Kane 46)
- 22 Sigurdsson
- 28 Carroll
- 30 Sandro yellow card
- 18 Defoe yellow card
- 77 Loria
- 12 Khurtsilava
- 16 Kvirkvelia (Glisic 34)
- 30 Gvelesiani
- 06 Kvaratskhelia
- 08 Khmaladze
- 10 Merebashvilli yellow card (Khocholava 79)
- 19 Grigalashvili (Seturidze 86)
- 88 Dzaria
- 21 Goga
- 99 Vouho
- 25 Zarkua,
- 37 Shashiashvili,
- 15 Papava,
- 32 Glisic,
- 05 Khocholava,
- 07 Seturidze,
- 09 Dvali
- Tottenham 64%
- Dinamo Tbilisi 36%
Attempts on target
- Tottenham 7
- Dinamo Tbilisi 1
Attempts off target
- Tottenham 11
- Dinamo Tbilisi 3
- Tottenham 7
- Dinamo Tbilisi 0
- Tottenham 9
- Dinamo Tbilisi 7
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:01 The referee blows for the end of the match.
- 90:00+0:58 Irakli Dzaria takes a shot.
- 90:00+0:25 Unfair challenge on Giorgi Seturidze by Zeki Fryers results in a free kick. Free kick crossed by Giorgi Seturidze. Clearance by Jan Vertonghen.
- 89:32 Booking
- 89:32 Jermain Defoe goes into the book for unsporting behaviour.
- 87:49 Corner taken by Gylfi Sigurdsson. Clearance by Giorgi Gvelesiani.
- 87:28 Harry Kane takes a shot. Giorgi Loria turns it away with a finger tip save.
- 87:03 Patrick Vouho concedes a free kick for a foul on Mousa Dembele. Free kick taken by Jan Vertonghen.
- 85:38 Substitution Elguja Grigalashvili goes off and Giorgi Seturidze comes on.
- 83:38 The assistant referee signals for offside against Jermain Defoe. Free kick taken by Giorgi Loria.
- 83:15 Zeki Fryers sends in a cross. Clearance by Giorgi Gvelesiani.
- 81:28 David Khurtsilava fouled by Gylfi Sigurdsson, the ref awards a free kick. David Khurtsilava restarts play with the free kick.
- 79:06 Zeki Fryers concedes a free kick for a foul on Elguja Grigalashvili. Giorgi Gvelesiani takes the free kick.
- 78:02 Substitution (Dinamo Tbilisi) makes a substitution, with David Khocholava coming on for Giorgi Merebashvilli.
- 77:08 The ball is delivered by Zeki Fryers. Clearance by Giorgi Gvelesiani.
- 75:25 Substitution (Spurs) makes a substitution, with Mousa Dembele coming on for Lewis Holtby.
- 75:08 Shot by Jermain Defoe missed to the left of the target.
- 72:09 Darko Glisic fouled by Kyle Naughton, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Darko Glisic.
- 71:57 Kyle Naughton produces a cross. Clearance made by Giorgi Gvelesiani.
- 70:01 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Tom Carroll by David Khurtsilava. Free kick crossed by Gylfi Sigurdsson. Clearance by Givi Kvaratskhelia.
- 68:11 Assist by Tom Carroll.
- 68:11 GOAL - Lewis Holtby:Tottenham 3 - 0 Dinamo Tbilisi Lewis Holtby slots the ball right footed into the goal. Spurs 3 (8)-(0) 0 Dinamo Tbilisi.
- 67:32 The ball is crossed by Zeki Fryers.
- 65:31 Patrick Vouho challenges Younes Kaboul unfairly and gives away a free kick. Younes Kaboul takes the free kick.
- 64:33 Free kick awarded for a foul by Kyle Naughton on Dorin Goga. The ball is delivered by Giorgi Merebashvilli. Header at goal by Patrick Vouho goes right of the post.
- 64:13 Harry Kane has an effort at goal. Giorgi Loria catches the ball.
- 63:30 The ball is delivered by Kyle Naughton. Clearance made by Givi Kvaratskhelia.
- 62:50 Dorin Goga is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Jan Vertonghen takes the free kick.
- 62:06 The assistant referee flags for offside against Jermain Defoe. Free kick taken by Giorgi Loria.
- 61:35 Gylfi Sigurdsson takes a shot.
- 59:38 Lewis Holtby takes a shot.
- 57:14 Lewis Holtby takes a shot and missed to the right of the net.
- 56:34 Jermain Defoe takes the chance to get an effort at goal and missed to the right of the net.
- 55:56 Substitution Kyle Walker goes off and Zeki Fryers comes on.
- 54:41 Shot by Gylfi Sigurdsson missed to the right of the net.
- 54:13 Corner taken by Gylfi Sigurdsson from the left by-line. Giorgi Loria catches the ball.
- 53:52 Jermain Defoe takes a shot. Giorgi Loria makes a block.
- 53:41 Jermain Defoe is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Giorgi Gvelesiani restarts play with the free kick.
- 51:37 Harry Kane takes a shot. Giorgi Gvelesiani gets a block in.
- 51:19 Corner taken by Gylfi Sigurdsson from the right by-line.
- 51:04 Patrick Vouho concedes a free kick for a foul on Younes Kaboul. Brad Friedel takes the free kick.
- 49:54 Tom Carroll has an effort at goal. Giorgi Loria safely holds on.
- Correction - 48:32 Shot by Patrick Vouho missed to the left of the net.
- 48:32 Irakli Dzaria has an effort at goal and missed to the left of the net.
- 46:24 Corner from the right by-line taken by Gylfi Sigurdsson. Elguja Grigalashvili makes a clearance.
- 45:19 Elguja Grigalashvili takes a shot. Brad Friedel catches the ball.
- 45:01 The second half has started.
- 45:01 Substitution Andros Townsend goes off and Harry Kane comes on.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:42 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 45:00+1:42 Assist by Gylfi Sigurdsson.
- 45:00+1:42 GOAL - Jermain Defoe:Tottenham 2 - 0 Dinamo Tbilisi Jermain Defoe scores with a left foot finish. Spurs 2 (7)-(0) 0 Dinamo Tbilisi.
- 45:00+1:35 The ball is swung over by Gylfi Sigurdsson.
- 45:00+0:20 Kyle Walker crosses the ball. Giorgi Gvelesiani makes a clearance.
- 44:57 Andros Townsend crosses the ball.
- 44:00 Tom Carroll gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Irakli Dzaria. Givi Kvaratskhelia restarts play with the free kick.
- 42:22 Corner from the right by-line taken by Gylfi Sigurdsson. Givi Kvaratskhelia manages to make a clearance.
- 42:09 The ball is swung over by Kyle Walker. Clearance made by Givi Kvaratskhelia.
- 41:11 Foul by Kyle Naughton on Elguja Grigalashvili, free kick awarded. David Khurtsilava restarts play with the free kick.
- 39:48 The assist for the goal came from Lewis Holtby.
- 39:48 GOAL - Jermain Defoe:Tottenham 1 - 0 Dinamo Tbilisi Jermain Defoe scores with a left foot finish. Spurs 1 (6)-(0) 0 Dinamo Tbilisi.
- 38:51 The referee blows for offside. Free kick taken by Younes Kaboul.
- 37:25 Corner taken by Gylfi Sigurdsson. Giorgi Loria gets a fist to the ball to punch .
- 36:47 Raniere Sandro fouled by Patrick Vouho, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Andros Townsend.
- 36:11 Elguja Grigalashvili is caught offside. Kyle Naughton restarts play with the free kick.
- 33:31 Substitution Dato Kvirkvelia goes off and Darko Glisic comes on.
- 30:30 Shot by Tom Carroll went wide of the left-hand post.
- 29:31 Levan Khmaladze concedes a free kick for a foul on Andros Townsend. Kyle Walker restarts play with the free kick.
- 27:08 The referee penalises Jermain Defoe for handball. Giorgi Loria takes the free kick.
- 25:52 Corner from the right by-line taken by Gylfi Sigurdsson. Giorgi Gvelesiani manages to make a clearance.
- 25:41 Andros Townsend delivers the ball. Blocked by Dato Kvirkvelia.
- 24:33 Giorgi Merebashvilli is caught offside. Brad Friedel restarts play with the free kick.
- 23:26 Kyle Naughton concedes a free kick for a foul on David Khurtsilava. Giorgi Loria restarts play with the free kick.
- 20:20 The assistant referee flags for offside against Jermain Defoe. Free kick taken by Giorgi Loria.
- 18:51 Booking
- 18:31 Giorgi Merebashvilli gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Kyle Walker. Giorgi Merebashvilli receives a caution for unsporting behaviour. Younes Kaboul restarts play with the free kick.
- 16:54 Shot by Andros Townsend went wide of the right-hand upright.
- 15:20 Booking
- 15:15 Raniere Sandro concedes a free kick for a foul on Dorin Goga. Raniere Sandro is shown a yellow card for unsporting behaviour. Levan Khmaladze takes the free kick.
- 14:09 Centre by Andros Townsend. Giorgi Loria catches the ball.
- 11:41 Jermain Defoe takes a shot and went wide of the left-hand upright.
- 3:23 The ball is delivered by Kyle Walker. Givi Kvaratskhelia manages to make a clearance.
- 2:01 Andros Townsend takes a shot.
- 0:00 The game gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.