Crewe 2 - 2 Peterborough
Michael Bostwick headed an injury-time equaliser as high-flying Peterborough United snatched a draw at Crewe.
Summer signing Vadaine Oliver opened his account for Crewe on 15 minutes, sliding in from a Brad Inman cross.
AJ Leitch-Smith then slotted a second six minutes later with a one-touch finish from Lee Molyneux's long pass.
- AJ Leitch-Smith's goal was his first for Crewe in 21 games, dating back to 5 February, when he scored in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy semi-final first-leg win at Coventry
Tyrone Barnett halved Crewe's lead by the break, after Mark Little's shot was saved, before Bostwick steered in Lee Tomlin's corner to complete the rescue.
Barnett could have had two in a first half dominated by the visitors, but he crashed his free header off the post after a mix-up between goalkeeper Steve Phillips and defender Mark Ellis.
The Posh striker eventually found the mark, pouncing on a loose ball to lash home after Phillips had denied Little.
Posh then piled on the pressure, Phillips keeping out a powerful Barnett header and Tomlin blazing over the bar late on, before Bostwick struck in the second minute of added time.
VIEW FROM THE DRESSING ROOM
Crewe Alexandra boss Steve Davis told BBC Radio Stoke:
"It's a case of mixed emotions. I was really pleased with our performance against one of the form teams in this league but I'm just disappointed that we chucked it away a bit.
"We just made sloppy mistakes. We weren't clearing our lines when we should have done.
"Their equaliser hit one of our lads in the face before it went in. That's the way it's going for us at the moment
"I changed to get round to get some goals from somewhere and it's nice that both strikers have scored."
Peterborough United boss Darren Ferguson told BBC Radio Cambridgeshire:
"Whenever you're 2-0 down, to get anything out of it the players deserve credit for that. We kept going.
"I thought we started the game magnificently, with complete control but goals change games and, after their first two shots at goal, we're 2-0 down.
"It's important that, when you have a defeat you don't lose the next game and whenever you're trying to achieve what we are this season, you can't afford to lose two games on the bounce.
"We've got to really get more clean sheets. We don't do that well enough. It's a big area we need to improve on."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 7 September 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Phillips
- 02 Tootle (Mellor 67)
- 04 Davis
- 05 Ellis
- 15 Robertson
- 08 Osman
- 14 Inman
- 24 Molyneux (Moore 73)
- 26 Aneke
- 10 Leitch-Smith
- 19 Oliver (Grant 80)
- 21 Garratt,
- 03 Mellor,
- 07 Clayton,
- 20 Turton,
- 42 Grant,
- 11 Moore,
- 16 Guthrie
- 01 Olejnik
- 02 Alcock
- 06 Bostwick
- 20 Knight-Percival
- 31 Little
- 07 Swanson (Mendez-Laing 63)
- 08 Payne
- 09 Assombalonga
- 10 Tomlin
- 11 McCann
- 23 Barnett
- 13 Day,
- 03 Ntlhe,
- 05 Zakuani,
- 16 Kearns,
- 17 Newell,
- 19 Mendez-Laing,
- 28 Gordon-Hutton
- Crewe 64%
- Peterborough 36%
Attempts on target
- Crewe 3
- Peterborough 5
Attempts off target
- Crewe 1
- Peterborough 7
- Crewe 1
- Peterborough 9
- Crewe 9
- Peterborough 12
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:55 The final whistle is blown by the referee.
- 90:00+4:28 Header at goal by Michael Bostwick goes over the frame of the goal.
- 90:00+4:23 Corner taken by Lee Tomlin from the left by-line.
- 90:00+2:47 Stephen Phillips restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+2:35 Harry Davis fouled by Britt Assombalonga, the ref awards a free kick.
- 90:00+1:28 Assist by Lee Tomlin.
- 90:00+1:28 GOAL - Michael Bostwick:Crewe 2 - 2 Peterborough Michael Bostwick scores a headed goal. Crewe 2-2 Peterborough.
- 90:00+1:18 Corner from the left by-line taken by Lee Tomlin.
- 90:00+0:55 Shot by Lee Tomlin.
- 89:34 Free kick taken by Michael Bostwick.
- 89:29 The assistant referee flags for offside against Ajay Leitch-Smith.
- 89:02 Free kick taken by Byron Moore.
- 88:24 Mark Little concedes a free kick for a foul on Byron Moore.
- 87:49 Stephen Phillips restarts play with the free kick.
- 87:23 The assistant referee flags for offside against Britt Assombalonga.
- 85:05 Chuks Aneke takes a shot and went wide of the left-hand upright.
- 84:16 Shot by Lee Tomlin went over the net.
- 82:30 Header by Britt Assombalonga goes over the bar.
- 82:24 Corner from the left by-line taken by Lee Tomlin.
- 81:47 Clearance by Mark Ellis.
- 81:37 Free kick taken by Lee Tomlin.
- 81:24 Abdul Osman concedes a free kick for a foul on Lee Tomlin.
- 80:24 Clearance by Kelvin Mellor.
- 80:18 Lee Tomlin crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 80:02 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Lee Tomlin by Harry Davis.
- 79:29 Substitution Vadaine Oliver goes off and Anthony Grant comes on.
- 76:17 Corner taken by Ajay Leitch-Smith.
- 73:34 Harry Davis takes the free kick.
- 72:57 Unfair challenge on Vadaine Oliver by Michael Bostwick results in a free kick.
- 72:27 Substitution Byron Moore joins the action as a substitute, replacing Lee Molyneux.
- 71:22 Lee Molyneux produces a shot on goal direct from the free kick.
- 70:13 Michael Bostwick challenges Vadaine Oliver unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 67:13 Bradden Inman makes a clearance.
- 67:10 Corner taken by Lee Tomlin from the left by-line.
- 66:47 Substitution Kelvin Mellor on for Matt Tootle.
- 65:47 Chance falls to Tyrone Barnett who heads at goal. A parry by Stephen Phillips prevents the goal.
- 65:37 Corner taken by Nathaniel Mendez-Laing.
- 62:59 Substitution Nathaniel Mendez-Laing on for Danny Swanson.
- 59:38 Stephen Phillips takes the free kick.
- 59:21 The official flags Britt Assombalonga offside.
- 56:04 Free kick taken by Harry Davis.
- 55:55 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Vadaine Oliver by Michael Bostwick.
- 54:18 Michael Bostwick makes a clearance.
- 52:29 Mark Little takes the free kick.
- 52:26 Foul by Chuks Aneke on Jack Payne, free kick awarded.
- 52:06 Stephen Phillips takes the free kick.
- 51:50 The assistant referee flags for offside against Lee Tomlin.
- 49:47 Mark Little delivers the ball.
- 48:16 Mark Little restarts play with the free kick.
- 48:10 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Tyrone Barnett by Ajay Leitch-Smith.
- 47:42 Free kick taken by Harry Davis.
- 47:25 Tyrone Barnett gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Lee Molyneux.
- 46:57 Free kick taken by Craig Alcock.
- 46:52 Abdul Osman challenges Lee Tomlin unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 45:45 Free kick crossed by Gregor Robertson.
- 45:38 Mark Little gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Lee Molyneux.
- 45:01 The second half begins.
- Half Time
- 45:00+3:36 The ref blows to signal half-time.
- 45:00+2:55 GOAL - Tyrone Barnett:Crewe 2 - 1 Peterborough Tyrone Barnett grabs a goal with a left foot finish. Crewe 2-1 Peterborough.
- 42:51 Mark Ellis makes a clearance.
- 42:47 Harry Davis manages to make a clearance.
- 42:45 The ball is crossed by Craig Alcock.
- 42:39 Corner taken by Lee Tomlin.
- 42:13 Harry Davis manages to make a clearance.
- 42:08 Grant McCann crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 41:45 Lee Molyneux challenges Mark Little unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 35:39 Grant McCann takes a shot and cleared the net.
- 31:42 Stephen Phillips takes the free kick.
- 31:23 Unfair challenge on Harry Davis by Britt Assombalonga results in a free kick.
- 29:19 Free kick taken by Britt Assombalonga.
- 29:04 Chuks Aneke concedes a free kick for a foul on Lee Tomlin.
- 27:24 Free kick taken by Stephen Phillips.
- 27:00 Britt Assombalonga is caught offside.
- 25:42 Stephen Phillips takes the free kick.
- 25:21 Britt Assombalonga concedes a free kick for a foul on Mark Ellis.
- 24:33 Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Grant McCann. A parry by Stephen Phillips prevents the goal.
- 23:44 Foul by Gregor Robertson on Mark Little, free kick awarded.
- 20:46 Assist by Lee Molyneux.
- 20:46 GOAL - Ajay Leitch-Smith:Crewe 2 - 0 Peterborough Ajay Leitch-Smith slots the ball right footed into the goal. Crewe 2-0 Peterborough.
- 19:38 Clearance made by Gregor Robertson.
- 19:26 Corner from the right by-line taken by Grant McCann.
- 17:50 Header by Britt Assombalonga hits the post.
- 16:21 Lee Molyneux crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 15:55 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Bradden Inman by Craig Alcock.
- 14:29 Assist by Bradden Inman.
- 14:29 GOAL - Vadaine Oliver:Crewe 1 - 0 Peterborough Vadaine Oliver slots the ball right footed into the goal. Crewe 1-0 Peterborough.
- 12:47 Shot by Grant McCann missed to the right of the net.
- 10:20 Shot by Grant McCann missed to the left of the net.
- 9:14 Stephen Phillips takes the free kick.
- 8:58 Lee Tomlin concedes a free kick for a foul on Chuks Aneke.
- 8:47 Mark Ellis manages to make a clearance.
- 8:44 Corner taken by Grant McCann from the right by-line.
- 8:13 Matt Tootle manages to make a clearance.
- 8:10 Free kick crossed by Lee Tomlin.
- 7:36 Unfair challenge on Britt Assombalonga by Matt Tootle results in a free kick.
- 5:10 Harry Davis manages to make a clearance.
- 5:07 Corner from the right by-line taken by Britt Assombalonga.
- 2:49 The ball is delivered by Tyrone Barnett.
- 1:31 Free kick taken by Stephen Phillips.
- 1:16 Foul by Grant McCann on Matt Tootle, free kick awarded.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to begin the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.