Cheltenham 2 - 2 Oxford Utd
Oxford twice came from behind to draw with Cheltenham to continue their unbeaten run in League Two.
Byron Harrison stroked in from close range to put Cheltenham ahead early on, but Dave Kitson netted his first goal of the season to bring the U's level.
The hosts regained the lead shortly after the restart when Terry Gornell poked home from inside the box.
But Oxford hit back once again, centre-back Johnny Mullins lashing in to the bottom left corner.
Cheltenham had a penalty shout late on, after Mullins appeared to handle in the area, but their appeals were waved away.
The result means Oxford have claimed 15 points from seven games and sit second in the table while Cheltenham, last season's play-off semi-finalists, are 20th with only one win so far this term.
The Robins started brightly and took the lead on eight minutes when Harrison tapped in after keeper Ryan Clarke had parried Gornell's shot in to his path.
But Oxford rallied and, after Mullins saw two chances go wide, former Sheffield United striker Kitson slotted home the equaliser after some weak defending from Cheltenham.
Gornell pounced to give the hosts the advantage again but it lasted only six minutes, as Mullins finished well to deny Mark Yates' side three points.
VIEWS FROM THE DRESSING ROOM
Cheltenham Town manager Mark Yates told BBC Radio Gloucestershire:
"We're up and running now, that's our season started today. It took us seven games but that was a proper performance and I need 39 more.
"We battered them, we were a better team. We set the tone with our aggression and closing down and pressing and played some good stuff at the same time.
"They've got to do it week in and week out now. That is the standard they've got to play to.
"We'll get there with performances like that, and the spirit shown, that'll do for me."
Live text and stats
Saturday, 14 September 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 S Brown
- 02 Lowe
- 06 Elliott
- 20 Jombati yellow card
- 26 Wilson
- 11 McGlashan
- 14 Richards
- 16 Penn
- 25 Noble yellow card (Taylor 89)
- 09 Harrison
- 10 Gornell
- 12 Roberts,
- 04 Taylor,
- 08 Deering,
- 21 Vincent,
- 19 Kotwica,
- 23 Gillespie
- 01 Clarke
- 03 Newey yellow card
- 04 Raynes
- 13 Hunt
- 19 Mullins
- 14 Hall
- 16 Whing
- 17 Rose
- 18 Davies (Smalley 59)
- 08 Kitson yellow card
- 11 Potter (Williams 74)
- 25 Jalal,
- 34 Bevans,
- 15 Williams,
- 20 Marsh,
- 35 O'Dowda,
- 10 Smalley,
- 37 Ruffles
- Cheltenham 46%
- Oxford Utd 54%
Attempts on target
- Cheltenham 6
- Oxford Utd 5
Attempts off target
- Cheltenham 6
- Oxford Utd 3
- Cheltenham 3
- Oxford Utd 7
- Cheltenham 9
- Oxford Utd 7
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:30 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+1:57 Shot by Jason Taylor went wide left of the goal.
- 90:00+0:37 David Hunt restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+0:16 Free kick awarded for a foul by Sido Jombati on Ryan Williams.
- 88:58 Substitution Jason Taylor joins the action as a substitute, replacing David Noble.
- 88:15 Corner taken by David Hunt from the right by-line.
- 83:10 Corner taken by Danny Rose.
- 82:36 Johnny Mullins makes a clearance.
- 82:31 Matt Richards crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 81:34 Booking
- 81:34 The referee books Tom Newey for unsporting behaviour.
- 81:23 Tom Newey challenges Jermaine McGlashan unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 80:17 Shot by Russell Penn. Ryan Clarke safely holds on.
- 78:33 Sido Jombati crosses the ball.
- 77:46 Corner from the left by-line taken by David Noble.
- 77:00 Ryan Clarke restarts play with the free kick.
- 76:51 The offside flag is raised against Terry Gornell.
- 75:55 Header at goal by Byron Harrison. Ryan Clarke catches the ball.
- 75:48 The ball is sent over by Russell Penn.
- 75:13 Free kick taken by Scott Brown.
- 75:06 Unfair challenge on Sido Jombati by Deane Smalley results in a free kick.
- 74:48 Ryan Clarke restarts play with the free kick.
- 74:40 Foul by Russell Penn on Johnny Mullins, free kick awarded.
- 73:38 Substitution (Oxford Utd) makes a substitution, with Ryan Williams coming on for Alfie Potter.
- 73:03 Free kick taken by Ryan Clarke.
- 72:40 The referee blows for offside.
- 70:28 Asa Hall takes a shot. Scott Brown safely holds on.
- 69:07 Booking
- 69:07 David Noble booked.
- 64:48 Shot by David Noble went over the bar.
- 62:43 Free kick taken by Ryan Clarke.
- 62:31 The official flags Byron Harrison offside.
- 59:22 Free kick taken by Ryan Clarke.
- 59:18 The referee blows for offside.
- 59:05 Scott Brown restarts play with the free kick.
- 58:53 Substitution Deane Smalley is brought on as a substitute for Scott Davies.
- 58:14 Dave Kitson is caught offside.
- 57:36 The referee books Sido Jombati for unsporting behaviour.
- 57:36 Booking
- 57:16 Dave Kitson booked.
- 57:16 Booking
- 56:41 GOAL - Johnny Mullins:Cheltenham 2 - 2 Oxford Utd Johnny Mullins scores a right footed goal. Cheltenham 2-2 Oxford Utd.
- 56:15 Corner from the right by-line taken by David Hunt.
- 54:20 Andrew Whing heads at goal. Scott Brown safely holds on.
- 54:06 Johnny Mullins crosses the ball.
- 53:45 Free kick taken by Danny Rose.
- 53:23 Steve Elliott gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Dave Kitson.
- 50:06 GOAL - Terry Gornell:Cheltenham 2 - 1 Oxford Utd Terry Gornell scores with a left foot finish. Cheltenham 2-1 Oxford Utd.
- 48:41 Header by Scott Davies goes over the bar.
- 48:27 Corner taken by Danny Rose from the left by-line.
- 45:01 The second half begins.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:57 The whistle is blown to end the first half.
- 45:00+1:43 Free kick taken by Ryan Clarke.
- 45:00+1:28 Jermaine McGlashan concedes a free kick for a foul on Tom Newey.
- 45:00+1:02 Keith Lowe takes a shot and bounced off the bar.
- 45:00+0:31 Corner from the left by-line taken by Terry Gornell.
- 45:00+0:13 Free kick crossed by David Noble.
- 45:00+0:11 David Noble crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 44:42 Unfair challenge on Sido Jombati by Scott Davies results in a free kick.
- 43:39 Strike on goal comes in from David Noble from the free kick and goes right of the post.
- 42:37 Foul by Andrew Whing on Byron Harrison, free kick awarded.
- 42:06 James Wilson takes the free kick.
- 41:55 David Noble fouled by Dave Kitson, the ref awards a free kick.
- 41:07 David Noble takes a shot. Ryan Clarke catches the ball.
- 40:51 Free kick crossed by Matt Richards.
- 40:35 Handball decision goes against Johnny Mullins.
- 39:35 Free kick taken by Ryan Clarke.
- 39:22 Byron Harrison gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Johnny Mullins.
- 33:49 GOAL - Dave Kitson:Cheltenham 1 - 1 Oxford Utd Dave Kitson scores with a left foot finish. Cheltenham 1-1 Oxford Utd.
- 30:48 Asa Hall takes a shot and went wide of the left-hand post.
- 29:11 Free kick taken by Steve Elliott.
- 28:57 Free kick awarded for a foul by Dave Kitson on Sido Jombati.
- 25:54 Danny Rose produces a shot on goal direct from the free kick. Scott Brown catches the ball.
- 24:50 Foul by Russell Penn on Dave Kitson, free kick awarded.
- 23:57 David Hunt crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 23:47 Free kick awarded for a foul by Byron Harrison on Scott Davies.
- 22:42 Shot by Johnny Mullins cleared the target.
- 20:49 Corner taken by Danny Rose.
- 20:25 Corner from the right by-line taken by Danny Rose.
- 18:59 Free kick taken by Steve Elliott.
- 18:55 The offside flag is raised against Alfie Potter.
- 13:01 Header at goal by Jermaine McGlashan to the left of the net.
- 12:53 Centre by David Noble.
- 11:51 Danny Rose takes the free kick.
- 11:40 Free kick awarded for a foul by James Wilson on Dave Kitson.
- 10:08 Corner from the right by-line taken by Matt Richards.
- 9:05 Jermaine McGlashan crosses the ball.
- 7:38 GOAL - Byron Harrison:Cheltenham 1 - 0 Oxford Utd Byron Harrison scores a right footed goal. Cheltenham 1-0 Oxford Utd.
- 5:39 David Noble takes the free kick.
- 5:01 Byron Harrison fouled by Andrew Whing, the ref awards a free kick.
- 3:36 Terry Gornell heads at goal. Ryan Clarke catches the ball.
- 3:27 The ball is swung over by David Noble.
- 2:42 Free kick taken by Scott Brown.
- 2:11 Corner taken by Danny Rose.
- 1:42 Danny Rose restarts play with the free kick.
- 1:08 James Wilson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Dave Kitson.
- 0:44 Shot by Byron Harrison cleared the net.
- 0:00 The ref blows the whistle to start the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.