St Mirren 0 - 1 Motherwell
John Sutton's first-half strike piled further pressure on St Mirren manager Danny Lennon as Motherwell took the three points in Paisley.
The Buddies thought they had won a penalty when Keith Lasley pulled down Conor Newton.
But referee Craig Thomson changed his decision to a free-kick outside the box after consulting his assistant.
A Sutton header squeezed over the line before St Mirren's Gary Harkins had an effort cleared off the line.
The game began tentatively, with both sides unable to maintain possession for any prolonged spell.
A Steven Thompson header flashed wide of the Motherwell goal from a Gary Teale cross.
At the other end, a searching ball hoisted into the Saints box defied goalkeeper David Cornell and the Well strikers before skidding to safety.
The game burst into life in the 30th minute when Conor Newton, impressive throughout in the Saints midfield, galloped towards the Motherwell box.
Keith Lasley stretched out a leg, bringing Newton to the ground, with referee Thomson immediately pointing to the penalty spot.
However, after strong protests from the visitors and a brief chat with the nearside assistant referee, the decision was reversed and a free-kick awarded on the edge of the box.
Danny Grainger blasted the resultant set-piece high and wide.
It was somewhat ironic, then, that St Mirren were a goal down eight minutes later.
Zaine Francis-Angol pinged an angled cross towards John Sutton and his header from 10 yards squirmed through the legs of Cornell in the Saints goal.
Motherwell displayed more composure on the ball after the half-time interval and began creating opportunities to extend their lead.
Shaun Huthinson smacked the bar with an unopposed header from an Iain Vigurs corner.
Then Henri Anier squandered an opportunity to make it 2-0 when one-on-one with Cornell.
The introduction of Kenny McLean and Thomas Reilly injected some energy into the home side and, in the dying moments, a skirmish in the Motherwell six-yard box had the home fans on their feet.
However, the ball did not drop kindly to a black and white shirt and the Steelman held on to claim all three points.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 14 September 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Cornell
- 04 McGregor
- 06 Goodwin yellow card
- 14 McAusland
- 27 Grainger (Caprice 72)
- 08 Harkins (McLean 81)
- 10 McGowan
- 21 Teale
- 24 Newton
- 09 Thompson
- 19 Bahoken (Reilly 68 yellow card)
- 30 Dilo,
- 02 van Zanten,
- 05 Mair,
- 07 McGinn,
- 11 McLean,
- 16 Caprice,
- 17 Reilly
- 01 Hollis
- 03 Hammell
- 05 Hutchinson yellow card
- 06 McManus
- 17 Francis-Angol (Cummins 86)
- 07 McFadden (Lawson 75)
- 11 Vigurs
- 14 Lasley
- 18 Carswell
- 09 Sutton
- 24 Anier (McHugh 68)
- 12 Nielsen,
- 15 Cummins,
- 08 Lawson,
- 25 Ainsworth,
- 26 Leitch,
- 16 McHugh,
- 22 Moore
- St Mirren 53%
- Motherwell 47%
Attempts on target
- St Mirren 1
- Motherwell 2
Attempts off target
- St Mirren 6
- Motherwell 6
- St Mirren 6
- Motherwell 3
- St Mirren 7
- Motherwell 12
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:17 The referee blows the whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+3:53 Strike on goal comes in from Jim Goodwin from the free kick and goes over the bar.
- 90:00+3:42 Jim Goodwin takes the free kick.
- 90:00+3:09 Stuart Carswell challenges Jim Goodwin unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 90:00+2:57 Clearance by Shaun Hutchinson.
- 90:00+2:50 Kenny McLean takes a shot.
- 90:00+2:37 Corner taken by Gary Teale.
- 90:00+2:19 Corner taken by Gary Teale from the right by-line.
- 90:00+1:32 Free kick taken by Gary Teale.
- 90:00+1:19 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Steven Thompson by Shaun Hutchinson.
- 89:55 Thomas Reilly delivers the ball.
- 88:16 Free kick taken by Lee Hollis.
- 88:07 Booking
- 88:07 Thomas Reilly is booked.
- 87:57 Foul by Thomas Reilly on Stephen McManus, free kick awarded.
- 87:26 Shot by Iain Vigurs went over the crossbar.
- 85:58 Substitution Zaine Francis-Angol goes off and Adam Cummins comes on.
- 83:34 Marc McAusland sends in a cross.
- 81:31 Clearance made by Stephen McManus.
- 81:27 A cross is delivered by Paul McGowan.
- 81:16 Stephen McManus makes a clearance.
- 81:02 A cross is delivered by Jake Caprice.
- 80:09 Substitution Kenny McLean replaces Gary Harkins.
- 78:13 John Sutton concedes a free kick for a foul on Jim Goodwin.
- 76:54 Free kick taken by Gary Harkins.
- 76:40 Paul McGowan fouled by Steven Hammell, the ref awards a free kick.
- 75:12 A cross is delivered by John Sutton.
- 74:34 Substitution Paul Lawson comes on in place of James McFadden.
- 73:07 Gary Harkins takes a shot.
- 72:33 Gary Teale sends in a cross.
- 71:10 Substitution Danny Grainger goes off and Jake Caprice comes on.
- 70:28 Free kick taken by Stephen McManus.
- 70:09 Gary Harkins concedes a free kick for a foul on Iain Vigurs.
- 69:33 Robert McHugh takes a shot and went wide left of the goal.
- 67:51 Substitution (St Mirren) makes a substitution, with Thomas Reilly coming on for Stephane Bahoken.
- 67:28 Substitution Robert McHugh comes on in place of Henri Anier.
- 67:04 The ball is delivered by James McFadden.
- 65:49 Stephen McManus takes the free kick.
- 65:39 Paul McGowan challenges Stuart Carswell unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 63:38 Gary Teale produces a cross.
- 63:13 Steven Hammell crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 62:58 Foul by Danny Grainger on John Sutton, free kick awarded.
- 59:59 Henri Anier has an effort at goal. David Cornell parries the effort to safety.
- 58:50 Paul McGowan takes a shot. Lee Hollis makes a block.
- 58:24 Shot by James McFadden went wide left of the goal.
- 57:00 Keith Lasley takes the free kick.
- 56:48 Foul by Stephane Bahoken on Keith Lasley, free kick awarded.
- 56:00 The ball is delivered by Conor Newton.
- 54:38 Header by Shaun Hutchinson strikes the bar.
- 54:21 Corner taken by Stuart Carswell.
- 53:20 Stephen McManus makes a clearance.
- 53:17 Centre by Stephane Bahoken.
- 52:13 Corner taken by Danny Grainger from the right by-line.
- 51:49 Free kick crossed by Gary Harkins.
- 51:30 Free kick awarded for a foul by Steven Hammell on Danny Grainger.
- 49:49 Corner from the right by-line taken by Danny Grainger.
- 46:45 Paul McGowan delivers the ball.
- 45:51 Paul McGowan takes a shot.
- 45:01 The second half begins.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:11 The match has reached half-time.
- 44:26 Steven Thompson fouled by Stephen McManus, the ref awards a free kick.
- 43:02 James McFadden takes the free kick.
- 42:35 Henri Anier fouled by Jim Goodwin, the ref awards a free kick.
- 42:13 Shaun Hutchinson manages to make a clearance.
- 42:05 Centre by Danny Grainger.
- 39:09 Free kick taken by Stephen McManus.
- 39:06 Stephane Bahoken is ruled offside.
- 37:52 Assist by Zaine Francis-Angol.
- 37:52 GOAL - John Sutton:St Mirren 0 - 1 Motherwell John Sutton scores a headed goal. St Mirren 0-1 Motherwell.
- 37:45 John Sutton delivers the ball.
- 37:08 A cross is delivered by Zaine Francis-Angol.
- 35:52 David Cornell restarts play with the free kick.
- 35:43 The assistant referee flags for offside against John Sutton.
- 32:15 The ball is crossed by Paul McGowan.
- 31:00 Danny Grainger restarts play with the free kick.
- 30:39 Keith Lasley gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Conor Newton.
- 26:51 Free kick crossed by Gary Harkins.
- 26:32 Steven Hammell challenges Stephane Bahoken unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 24:54 David Cornell takes the free kick.
- 24:43 Henri Anier gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Jim Goodwin.
- 23:34 The ball is delivered by Gary Teale.
- 22:42 Clearance by David Cornell.
- 22:32 The ball is swung over by Zaine Francis-Angol.
- 20:54 Header by Stephen McManus goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 20:50 Iain Vigurs crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 20:43 Jim Goodwin is shown a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 20:43 Booking
- 20:34 Handball by Jim Goodwin.
- 19:26 Corner taken by Iain Vigurs from the right by-line.
- 17:12 Free kick taken by Stephen McManus.
- 17:10 The assistant referee signals for offside against Stephane Bahoken.
- 16:32 Shot by Henri Anier went wide of the left-hand post.
- 16:21 Keith Lasley restarts play with the free kick.
- 16:08 Jim Goodwin concedes a free kick for a foul on John Sutton.
- 14:36 Clearance made by Stephen McManus.
- 14:32 Free kick crossed by Jim Goodwin.
- 13:41 Shaun Hutchinson goes into the referee's book.
- 13:41 Booking
- 13:08 Foul by Shaun Hutchinson on Stephane Bahoken, free kick awarded.
- 12:38 Header at goal by Steven Thompson misses to the right.
- 12:25 Gary Teale produces a cross.
- 10:28 Marc McAusland makes a clearance.
- 10:22 Stuart Carswell crosses the ball.
- 9:19 Centre by Steven Hammell.
- 7:44 The ball is sent over by Gary Harkins.
- 6:11 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Gary Harkins by Henri Anier.
- 5:16 Gary Harkins restarts play with the free kick.
- 5:03 Henri Anier is penalised for a handball.
- 4:52 Lee Hollis manages to make a clearance.
- 4:34 Corner from the right by-line taken by Danny Grainger.
- 4:06 Gary Teale delivers the ball.
- 2:52 David Cornell takes the free kick.
- 2:32 Free kick awarded for a foul by Shaun Hutchinson on Conor Newton.
- 2:22 Darren McGregor manages to make a clearance.
- 1:56 Corner taken by Iain Vigurs.
- 1:04 Steven Thompson takes a weak shot and missed to the right of the target.
- 0:51 Corner taken by Gary Harkins.
- 0:00 The referee starts the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.