Luxembourg 3 - 2 Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland suffered embarrassment as Luxembourg clinched only their fourth win in a World Cup qualifier.
Martin Paterson fired the visitors ahead but Lars Gerson hit the bar before Aurelien Joachim levelled with a deflected shot before the break.
Stefano Bensi's low shot put Luxembourg ahead, although Gareth McAuley headed in just minutes later to make it 2-2.
Mathias Janisch secured the shock win three minutes from time when he slotted in from eight yards.
World Cup Qualifying Group F
Luxembourg - who had last won a home World Cup qualifier in 1972 - were first to threaten at a rain-lashed Stade Josy Barthel when an unmarked Lars Gerson headed over from a corner.
Northern Ireland made a sluggish start but a sharp move put the visitors ahead against the run of play on 14 minutes, with Paterson's first touch from Shane Ferguson's pass giving the striker space to fire his third international goal powerfully into the corner.
Paterson saw a lob drop over before the dangerous Bensi blasted wide from a free-kick.
Gerson almost levelled on 29 minutes when his curling shot struck the crossbar with Carroll beaten, while the visiting keeper was at full stretch to keep out a Bensi drive.
Northern Ireland winger Niall McGinn was forced off with an ankle injury with his replacement Michael O'Connor coming on for his first international appearance in three years.
Oliver Norwood saw his volley saved by Jonathan Joubert before Joachim's fortunate injury-time equaliser, his shot deflecting off Daniel Lafferty and looping into the net after a classic counter-attack.
Luxembourg made a strong start to the second half as Northern Ireland's nerves started to show - and Bensi drilled a 16-yard free-kick just wide after Carroll handled a mis-hit back-pass from McAuley.
Jonny Evans fired wide as the visitors enjoyed their first period of superiority from the hour mark.
Billy McKay wasted an excellent chance after 69 minutes, the substitute put in by Paterson's flick and he rounded Joubert before slicing into the side-netting.
The impressive Jamie Ward sent a shot over before Bensi gave Luxembourg - whose momentum had been waning - a 2-1 lead with a low shot into the bottom corner from outside the area in the 78th minute.
McAuley headed in from a Norwood free-kick four minutes later to make it all-square again, but the hosts were not to be denied a memorable victory.
Northern Ireland had lost all their shape and when they failed to clear a deep corner, Janisch was perfectly placed to slot in the 87th winner, as the good work done by Michael O'Neill's side by beating Russia last month and running Portugal close last week evaporated.
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 10 September 2013
World Cup Euro Q'fying
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Joubert
- 14 Laterza
- 16 Philipps
- 17 Mutsch
- 19 Mathias Janisch
- 18 Jans
- 22 Krogh Gerson
- 09 Da Mota (Bukvic 89)
- 11 Bensi
- 13 Joachim
- 20 Turpel (Luisi 68)
- 12 Oberweis,
- 02 Delgado,
- 04 Hoffmann,
- 05 Malget,
- 15 Bukvic,
- 06 Peters,
- 08 Bastos,
- 07 Luisi
- 01 Carroll
- 02 Hodson
- 03 Lafferty (Grigg 80)
- 04 McAuley yellow card
- 05 Evans
- 11 Ferguson (McKay 60)
- 07 McGinn (O'Connor 35)
- 08 S Davis
- 16 Norwood
- 09 Paterson
- 19 Ward
- 12 McGovern,
- 23 Devlin,
- 06 Baird,
- 14 McArdle,
- 17 Bruce,
- 22 McKeown,
- 13 Evans,
- 21 O'Connor,
- 24 Shiels,
- 15 Grigg,
- 18 Magennis,
- 20 McKay
- Luxembourg 56%
- N Ireland 44%
Attempts on target
- Luxembourg 12
- N Ireland 5
Attempts off target
- Luxembourg 7
- N Ireland 7
- Luxembourg 8
- N Ireland 5
- Luxembourg 3
- N Ireland 9
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:41 The referee blows the whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+3:13 Booking
- 90:00+3:06 Free kick awarded for a foul by Gareth McAuley on Laurent Jans. Gareth McAuley is given a yellow card. Free kick taken by Jonathan Joubert.
- 90:00+1:36 Antonio Luisi produces a cross. Roy Carroll catches the ball.
- 90:00+0:55 Jamie Ward takes a shot.
- 88:31 Substitution Ante Bukvic on for Daniel Da Mota Alves.
- 86:48 Assist by Aurelien Joachim.
- 86:48 GOAL - Mathias Janisch:Luxembourg 3 - 2 Northern Ireland Mathias Janisch grabs a goal with a right foot finish. Luxembourg 3-2 Northern Ireland.
- 86:16 Mario Mutsch takes a shot. Blocked by Gareth McAuley. Corner taken by Mario Mutsch from the left by-line.
- 85:19 Oliver Norwood gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Aurelien Joachim. Antonio Luisi restarts play with the free kick.
- 84:18 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Stefano Bensi by Oliver Norwood. Free kick taken by Stefano Bensi.
- 83:26 Antonio Luisi takes a shot. Blocked by Lee Hodson.
- 83:02 Oliver Norwood takes a shot. A parry by Jonathan Joubert prevents the goal.
- 82:27 Daniel Da Mota Alves takes a shot. Roy Carroll catches the ball.
- 81:16 The assist for the goal came from Oliver Norwood.
- 81:16 GOAL - Gareth McAuley:Luxembourg 2 - 2 Northern Ireland Gareth McAuley grabs a goal with a headed effort. Luxembourg 2-2 Northern Ireland.
- 80:50 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Martin Paterson by Chris Philipps. Centre by Oliver Norwood.
- 79:17 Substitution Will Grigg joins the action as a substitute, replacing Danny Lafferty.
- 77:20 GOAL - Stefano Bensi:Luxembourg 2 - 1 Northern Ireland Stefano Bensi scores with their right foot. Luxembourg 2-1 Northern Ireland.
- 75:56 Header by Danny Lafferty misses to the right of the target.
- 74:52 Corner taken by Oliver Norwood from the left by-line.
- 73:18 Foul by Billy McKay on Daniel Da Mota Alves, free kick awarded. Lars Krogh Gerson shoots direct from the free kick and clears the bar.
- 70:03 Michael O'Connor crosses the ball. Laurent Jans makes a clearance.
- 68:05 Billy McKay takes a shot.
- 67:24 Substitution (Luxembourg) makes a substitution, with Antonio Luisi coming on for David Turpel.
- 59:25 Substitution (Northern Ireland) makes a substitution, with Billy McKay coming on for Shane Ferguson.
- 58:39 Corner taken by Oliver Norwood. Header by Jonny Evans misses left.
- 58:08 Tom Laterza delivers the ball.
- 54:58 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Chris Philipps by Oliver Norwood. Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Mario Mutsch and misses to the right of the goal.
- 53:24 A cross is delivered by Martin Paterson. Clearance by Chris Philipps.
- 52:08 Unfair challenge on Gareth McAuley by Aurelien Joachim results in a free kick. Gareth McAuley restarts play with the free kick.
- 50:40 Oliver Norwood has an effort at goal and missed to the left of the target.
- 49:57 Corner taken by Mario Mutsch from the right by-line.
- 49:16 Short corner worked by Mario Mutsch. The ball is crossed by Aurelien Joachim. Roy Carroll catches the ball.
- 48:43 Danny Lafferty is ruled offside. Jonathan Joubert takes the free kick.
- 47:40 Foul by Oliver Norwood on Daniel Da Mota Alves, free kick awarded. Mario Mutsch crosses the ball in from the free kick. Lee Hodson manages to make a clearance.
- 46:11 Aurelien Joachim takes a shot. Blocked by Lee Hodson. Corner taken by Mario Mutsch. Stefano Bensi takes a shot. Blocked by Gareth McAuley. Corner taken by Mario Mutsch from the right by-line. Steven Davis manages to make a clearance.
- 45:01 The match restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:42 The match has reached half-time.
- 45:00+1:12 Assist by David Turpel.
- 45:00+1:12 GOAL - Aurelien Joachim:Luxembourg 1 - 1 Northern Ireland Aurelien Joachim scores with a right foot finish. Luxembourg 1-1 Northern Ireland.
- 45:00+0:24 Corner from the left by-line taken by Oliver Norwood. Mario Mutsch manages to make a clearance.
- 43:41 Corner taken by Shane Ferguson from the right by-line. David Turpel manages to make a clearance. Corner taken by Shane Ferguson. Jonathan Joubert blocks the ball. Oliver Norwood takes a shot. Jonathan Joubert blocks the ball.
- 40:57 David Turpel takes a shot. Roy Carroll safely holds on.
- 37:07 Stefano Bensi takes a shot. Roy Carroll parries the ball away.
- 35:32 The ball is sent over by Steven Davis. Clearance made by Chris Philipps.
- 34:09 Substitution Niall McGinn goes off and Michael O'Connor comes on.
- 30:20 Corner taken by Mario Mutsch from the right by-line. Clearance made by Danny Lafferty.
- 30:06 The ball is crossed by Martin Paterson. Chris Philipps makes a clearance.
- 29:24 Daniel Da Mota Alves is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Roy Carroll restarts play with the free kick.
- 28:52 Lars Krogh Gerson takes a shot.
- 26:48 Mario Mutsch takes a shot and went wide right of the net.
- 25:57 Oliver Norwood takes a shot. Blocked by Chris Philipps.
- 23:52 Jamie Ward challenges Mario Mutsch unfairly and gives away a free kick. Stefano Bensi has a direct shot on goal from the free kick and misses the right post.
- 22:00 Martin Paterson takes a shot.
- 20:58 Danny Lafferty fouled by Daniel Da Mota Alves, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick crossed by Oliver Norwood. Clearance made by Aurelien Joachim.
- 15:16 Laurent Jans takes a shot. Roy Carroll catches the ball.
- 14:44 Jonny Evans challenges Laurent Jans unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Mario Mutsch.
- 13:17 Steven Davis provided the assist for the goal.
- 13:17 GOAL - Martin Paterson:Luxembourg 0 - 1 Northern Ireland Martin Paterson slots the ball left footed into the goal. Luxembourg 0-1 Northern Ireland.
- 12:36 Mario Mutsch takes a shot. Roy Carroll safely holds on.
- 8:30 Corner taken by Mario Mutsch. Header at goal by Lars Krogh Gerson goes over the bar.
- 7:59 Niall McGinn delivers the ball.
- 6:33 Niall McGinn takes a shot and missed to the left of the net.
- 4:17 Daniel Da Mota Alves has an effort at goal and missed to the left of the target.
- 1:16 Corner taken by Mario Mutsch from the left by-line. Jonny Evans manages to make a clearance.
- 0:40 Free kick awarded for a foul by Lee Hodson on Lars Krogh Gerson. Mario Mutsch crosses the ball in from the free kick. Gareth McAuley manages to make a clearance.
- 0:00 The referee gets the match started.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.