Wales 0 - 3 Serbia
Wales slipped to the bottom of their World Cup qualifying group after being outclassed by Serbia in Cardiff.
Filip Djordjevic's header and Aleksandar Kolarov's superb drive put Serbia in charge, before Lazar Markovic made it three after 55 minutes.
Gareth Bale came off the bench to make his first appearance since his world-record £85.3m transfer to Real Madrid.
He forced a great save from Vladimir Stojkovic, but it was scant consolation for Wales boss Chris Coleman.
“It was men versus boys, as simple as that. We didn't get near them and we conceded sloppy goals. We looked like we didn't have the belief that we could beat them”
Scotland's 2-1 win in Macedonia compounded his misery as they overtook Wales in the table.
Coleman wanted six points from the games against Macedonia last week and Serbia to be chasing third place in the group.
But instead his team are bottom, with a home game against Macedonia and a trip to leaders Belgium still to come.
In front of a sparse crowd at the Cardiff City Stadium, the hosts looked vulnerable against a Serbian side that has also struggled in qualifying.
Bale's appearance on the hour lifted the crowd, but it was a sideshow on a night when Wales' lack of depth was apparent.
Fifa 2014 World Cup Qualifying Group A
The Real Madrid forward was on the bench for the second game running, though Coleman's bold selection saw five changes from the team beaten 2-1 in Skopje on Friday.
With captain Ashley Williams suspended, Swansea left-back Ben Davies lined up alongside Danny Gabbidon in the centre of defence with Adam Matthews on the left.
David Vaughan and Jack Collison were dropped after disappointing displays, with Sam Vokes leading the attack. Aaron Ramsey took over the captaincy for the first time since the 6-1 defeat against Serbia in September 2012.
And the home side made a disastrous start as their experimental central defence was caught out by a lightning attack in the eighth minute.
Bellamy's cap landmark
Craig Bellamy become the third most-capped player in Welsh football history as he made his 76th appearance for his country in Cardiff. Only Neville Southall (92) and Gary Speed (85) have played more times for Wales.
Boaz Myhill's reflex save from Filip Djuricic's header looped into the air and was headed in from four yards by Djordjevic.
Ramsey and Craig Bellamy were busy, without ever really troubling the visitors' defence, who handled the size and aerial threat of Vokes without alarm.
At the other end the Wales defenders were suffering from a case of the jitters, with Gabbidon's pass causing problems for Andy King, allowing Ljubomir Fejsa to force a good save from Myhill.
But it was a brief reprieve as the clearance fell to Kolarov, who fired home a ferocious left-footed drive from 25 yards.
Serbia underlined their dominance with a third goal in the 55th minute, Markovic driving the ball low past Myhill.
That was the cue for Bale's entry and he rewarded the fans who cheered his introduction in place of King by stinging Stojkovic's hands with a dipping shot before driving wide from 18 yards.
Bale looked short of match fitness having played his last game for Tottenham on 16 July but his swerving, dipping 35-yard free-kick late in the game forced another outstanding save from Stojkovic.
It was a rare highlight on a tough night for Wales.
VIEW FROM THE CHANGING ROOM
Wales manager Chris Coleman told BBC Radio Wales: Tonight wasn't a good one. We were missing players tonight so our idea was we'd try and stay in the game really for as long as we can and maybe we can get Gareth on the pitch - and you saw the reaction, he has the capacity to win a game, he really has.
But we gave away sloppy goals tonight and that's disappointing. Against teams like that you've got to expect not to have the ball for long periods of time and you've got to be in the right positions. If you're not they pick you off and that's what happened.
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 10 September 2013
World Cup Euro Q'fying
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Myhill
- 02 Gunter
- 03 Matthews
- 05 Gabbidon
- 06 Davies
- 04 Ledley (Robson-Kanu 75)
- 07 King (Bale 58)
- 10 Ramsey
- 11 Crofts yellow card (Vaughan 58)
- 08 Bellamy
- 09 Vokes
- 01 Stojkovic
- 04 Bisevac
- 05 Nastasic
- 06 Ivanovic
- 11 Kolarov
- 10 Tadic (Krsticic 88)
- 13 Radovanovic (Milivojevic 67)
- 15 Fejsa yellow card (Petrovic 90+2)
- 18 Djordjevic
- 19 Djuricic
- 21 Markovic
- 12 Kahriman,
- 23 Aleksic,
- 02 Rukavina,
- 03 Maksimovic,
- 17 Tomovic,
- 08 Petrovic,
- 16 Milivojevic,
- 22 Krsticic
- Wales 39%
- Serbia 61%
Attempts on target
- Wales 4
- Serbia 8
Attempts off target
- Wales 4
- Serbia 5
- Wales 2
- Serbia 5
- Wales 8
- Serbia 9
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:17 The final whistle goes and the game is over.
- 90:00+1:45 A cross is delivered by Hal Robson-Kanu. Milan Bisevac gets a block in. Craig Bellamy takes a shot. Blocked by Luka Milivojevic.
- 90:00+1:10 Substitution Ljubomir Fejsa leaves the field to be replaced by Radosav Petrovic.
- 89:58 Adam Matthews sends in a cross. Milan Bisevac manages to make a clearance.
- 89:03 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Chris Gunter by Matija Nastasic. Gareth Bale restarts play with the free kick.
- 88:29 The ball is delivered by Adam Matthews. Header by Sam Vokes goes over the bar.
- 87:04 Booking
- 87:01 Direct effort from the free kick comes in from Gareth Bale. Vladimir Stojkovic turns it away with a finger tip save. Corner taken short by Aaron Ramsey. Aaron Ramsey sends in a cross. Branislav Ivanovic gets a block in.
- 87:01 Substitution Nenad Krsticic replaces Dusan Tadic.
- 87:01 Ljubomir Fejsa gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Craig Bellamy. Ljubomir Fejsa receives a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 83:25 Foul by Hal Robson-Kanu on Branislav Ivanovic, free kick awarded. Branislav Ivanovic fires a strike on goal direct from the free kick. Boaz Myhill catches the ball.
- 82:43 Free kick awarded for a foul by Gareth Bale on Luka Milivojevic. Free kick taken by Matija Nastasic.
- 81:04 Dusan Tadic crosses the ball. Adam Matthews gets a block in. Corner from the right by-line taken by Luka Milivojevic.
- 78:05 Corner taken by Craig Bellamy from the right by-line. Clearance made by Matija Nastasic.
- 75:03 Unfair challenge on Lazar Markovic by Craig Bellamy results in a free kick. Matija Nastasic restarts play with the free kick.
- 74:26 Substitution Hal Robson-Kanu replaces Joe Ledley.
- 73:37 Gareth Bale crosses the ball. Matija Nastasic makes a clearance.
- 71:17 Centre by Branislav Ivanovic. Joe Ledley gets a block in. Corner from the right by-line taken by Luka Milivojevic. Shot by Ljubomir Fejsa went wide left of the goal.
- 69:21 The ball is crossed by Chris Gunter. Clearance by Matija Nastasic.
- Correction - 66:22 Corner taken by Luka Milivojevic from the right by-line. Shot by Filip Djordjevic missed to the left of the net.
- Correction - 66:22 Substitution Luka Milivojevic replaces Ivan Radovanovic.
- 66:22 Corner from the right by-line taken by Dusan Tadic. Filip Djordjevic takes the chance to get an effort at goal and missed to the left of the target.
- 66:22 Substitution Luka Milivojevic is brought on as a substitute for Ivan Radovanovic.
- 62:44 Gareth Bale takes the chance to get an effort at goal. A parry by Vladimir Stojkovic prevents the goal. Gareth Bale takes a shot and went wide of the right hand upright.
- 58:41 Aaron Ramsey takes a shot. Vladimir Stojkovic catches the ball.
- 57:37 Substitution David Vaughan comes on in place of Andrew Crofts.
- 57:37 Substitution Gareth Bale comes on in place of Andy King.
- 54:29 The assist for the goal came from Dusan Tadic.
- 54:29 GOAL - Lazar Markovic:Wales 0 - 3 Serbia Lazar Markovic grabs a goal with a right foot finish. Wales 0-3 Serbia.
- 54:16 Dusan Tadic takes a shot. Boaz Myhill parries the effort to safety.
- 53:43 The assistant referee signals for offside against Craig Bellamy. Ljubomir Fejsa takes the free kick.
- 52:53 Ivan Radovanovic takes a shot.
- 52:34 Unfair challenge on Filip Djordjevic by Aaron Ramsey results in a free kick. Ljubomir Fejsa takes the free kick.
- 51:50 Aaron Ramsey takes a weak shot and went wide of the right hand post.
- 51:17 Andy King concedes a free kick for a foul on Ivan Radovanovic. Milan Bisevac takes the free kick.
- 48:30 Booking
- 48:10 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Dusan Tadic by Andrew Crofts. Caution for Andrew Crofts. Ivan Radovanovic crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 45:01 The second half begins.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:09 The match has reached half-time.
- 44:17 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Joe Ledley by Milan Bisevac. Adam Matthews takes the free kick.
- 41:58 The assistant referee flags for offside against Sam Vokes. Milan Bisevac takes the free kick.
- 39:08 The ball is delivered by Aaron Ramsey. Header by Sam Vokes misses right.
- 37:54 Ivan Radovanovic provided the assist for the goal.
- 37:54 GOAL - Aleksandar Kolarov:Wales 0 - 2 Serbia Aleksandar Kolarov grabs a goal with a left foot finish. Wales 0-2 Serbia.
- 37:05 Ljubomir Fejsa takes a shot. A parry by Boaz Myhill prevents the goal.
- 34:33 Andy King challenges Ivan Radovanovic unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Aleksandar Kolarov.
- 32:46 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Chris Gunter by Filip Djordjevic. Chris Gunter takes the free kick.
- 31:47 Aaron Ramsey is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Milan Bisevac restarts play with the free kick.
- 30:07 Free kick awarded for a foul by Matija Nastasic on Sam Vokes. Andy King restarts play with the free kick.
- 28:04 Centre by Aleksandar Kolarov. Clearance made by Ben Davies.
- 27:02 Adam Matthews sends in a cross. Vladimir Stojkovic safely holds on.
- 25:33 Adam Matthews crosses the ball. Clearance by Matija Nastasic.
- 24:47 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Aaron Ramsey by Lazar Markovic. Free kick taken by Andrew Crofts.
- 24:13 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Ivan Radovanovic by Aaron Ramsey. Free kick taken by Ivan Radovanovic.
- 22:30 Corner from the right by-line taken by Aleksandar Kolarov. Header by Branislav Ivanovic misses to the right of the target.
- 20:15 The ball is crossed by Lazar Markovic. Danny Gabbidon makes a clearance.
- 17:06 Aaron Ramsey crosses the ball. The referee blows for offside. Vladimir Stojkovic restarts play with the free kick.
- 15:30 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Sam Vokes by Matija Nastasic. Ben Davies takes the free kick.
- 13:02 Short corner taken by Aleksandar Kolarov from the left by-line. Dusan Tadic takes a shot.
- 12:04 Free kick awarded for a foul by Filip Djordjevic on Ben Davies. Boaz Myhill takes the free kick.
- 8:10 The assist for the goal came from Filip Djuricic.
- 8:10 GOAL - Filip Djordjevic:Wales 0 - 1 Serbia Filip Djordjevic scores a headed goal. Wales 0-1 Serbia.
- 7:31 Aleksandar Kolarov produces a cross. Filip Djuricic takes a shot. Boaz Myhill parries the effort to safety.
- 5:36 Ben Davies fouled by Lazar Markovic, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Ben Davies.
- 2:39 Lazar Markovic takes a weak shot and missed to the right of the target.
- 1:07 The ball is swung over by Aaron Ramsey. Milan Bisevac makes a clearance.
- 0:00 The game kicks-off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.