Manchester City got their Champions League campaign off to a confident start as they beat Czech side Viktoria Plzen with goals from Edin Dzeko, Yaya Toure and Sergio Aguero.
After a nervous first half, Manuel Pellegrini's side went ahead when Dzeko finished a break after 48 minutes.
Within 10 minutes City were 3-0 up as Toure curled in from 25 yards and then Aguero fired in after a smart turn.
Plzen came closest when Tomas Horava hit the post from a corner.
Aguero also hit the post in the first half, while Dzeko and Toure should both have headed in, but it was a welcome victory for City, who recorded their first win in seven Champions League games.
Pellegrini's Champions League record
Reaches semi-finals with Villarreal
Reaches quarter-finals with Malaga, missing out on semis after two last-minute goals by Borussia Dortmund
After finishing bottom of their group last season and having failed to reach the knockout stages in 2011-12, both under former manager Roberto Mancini, City's wealthy owners have targeted success in Europe this term.
And while they will face tougher challenges, namely holders Bayern Munich in their next Group D match, this result will have soothed any apprehension following opening defeats in their last two European ventures.
Further good news came in the shape of returning skipper Vincent Kompany completing 90 minutes after being out injured since City's opening-day victory over Newcastle on 19 August.
Although Plzen had to come through three qualifying play-off ties to reach this stage, they were far from outplayed by City early on.
This was the hosts' second appearance in the Champions League, having recorded an impressive 2-2 draw with AC Milan two years ago, while they also took some decent scalps in last year's Europa League.
City, hoping that Pellegrini can repeat previous successes at Villarreal and Malaga, where he reached the last four and eight respectively, had plenty of chances to open the scoring in the first half with Toure and Dzeko both guilty of wasting close-range headers.
Jesus Navas had a shot tipped over by goalkeeper Matus Kozacik while Aguero hit the post after a surging run through the middle.
The visitors were combining nicely in the final third, but there were also some anxious moments at the back as 38-year-old Plzen skipper Pavel Horvath whipped in several precise dead-ball deliveries.
It gave a stern test to goalkeeper Joe Hart, while Aleksandar Kolarov was perhaps fortunate to stay on the pitch when he fouled Milan Petrzela after an earlier booking.
Nerves were becalmed three minutes after the break, though, when Aguero played a huge part in setting up Dzeko's strike. The Argentine collected a through ball, held off Lukas Hejda and squared for the Bosnian to calmly stroke home.
City suffered a scare moments later when Pablo Zabaleta blocked Daniel Kolar's effort but two superb goals in the space of five minutes sealed the victory.
There was not too much danger when Toure collected the ball deep in the Plzen half but the hosts' defence backed off and the Ivorian curled a lovely shot into the top corner after 53 minutes.
Aguero then got on the scoresheet with a poacher's finish, receiving Samir Nasri's pass and turning before firing left-footed into the bottom corner.
Plzen hit the woodwork late on but Aguero could easily have had a hat-trick as his side completed a resounding win ahead of this weekend's Manchester derby.
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 17 September 2013
- Dzeko 48
- Toure 53
- Aguero 58
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:04 The game is over, as the referee blows the whistle.
- 90:00+1:12 The offside flag is raised against Michal Duris. Joe Hart restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+0:55 Pavel Horvath decides to take a short corner.
- 90:00+0:43 A cross is delivered by Milan Petrzela. Clearance by Pablo Zabaleta.
- 90:00+0:19 Corner taken by Pavel Horvath. Alvaro Negredo makes a clearance.
- 89:31 Sergio Aguero takes a shot.
- 87:33 Corner taken by Pavel Horvath from the left by-line. Tomas Horava takes a shot and bounces off the post.
- 87:04 Sergio Aguero takes a shot. Matus Kozacik parries the effort to safety.
- 84:07 Matija Nastasic fouled by Stanislav Tecl, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Joe Hart.
- 83:07 Substitution Marek Bakos goes off and Stanislav Tecl comes on.
- 82:19 Substitution Alvaro Negredo on for Edin Dzeko.
- 80:11 Pavel Horvath takes a shot and missed to the left of the net.
- 79:22 Free kick taken by Tomas Horava.
- 79:22 Substitution Yaya Toure leaves the field to be replaced by Francisco Javi Garcia.
- 79:22 Jan Kovarik fouled by Samir Nasri, the ref awards a free kick.
- 75:29 James Milner produces a cross. Vaclav Prochazka manages to make a clearance.
- 73:48 Frantisek Rajtoral takes a shot. Blocked by Samir Nasri. Corner taken by Pavel Horvath.
- 73:16 Corner from the left by-line taken by Pavel Horvath. Samir Nasri makes a clearance.
- 72:38 The offside flag is raised against Aleksandar Kolarov. Matus Kozacik takes the free kick.
- 72:19 Aleksandar Kolarov sends in a cross. Tomas Horava manages to make a clearance.
- 69:23 Centre by Michal Duris. Joe Hart safely holds on.
- 68:58 Frantisek Rajtoral produces a cross. Clearance made by Matija Nastasic.
- 68:02 The ball is crossed by Aleksandar Kolarov. Header at goal by Sergio Aguero goes over the frame of the goal.
- 66:31 Substitution James Milner replaces Gonzalez Jesus Navas.
- 65:57 Substitution Roman Hubnik on for Lukas Hejda.
- 64:37 Foul by Milan Petrzela on Samir Nasri, free kick awarded. Yaya Toure has a direct shot on goal from the free kick which goes
over the bar.
- 64:03 Jan Kovarik takes a shot.
- 63:50 Frantisek Rajtoral takes a shot. Aleksandar Kolarov gets a block in.
- 63:05 Pavel Horvath sends in a cross. Joe Hart catches the ball.
- 62:50 Short corner taken by Pavel Horvath from the right by-line.
- 62:40 Michal Duris produces a cross. Blocked by Aleksandar Kolarov.
- 60:52 Gonzalez Jesus Navas is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Matus Kozacik restarts play with the free kick.
- 60:08 Substitution Michal Duris comes on in place of Daniel Kolar.
- 60:08 Gonzalez Jesus Navas takes a shot. Vaclav Prochazka gets a block in.
- 59:48 The ball is delivered by David Limbersky. Aleksandar Kolarov makes a clearance.
- 58:21 The assistant referee signals for offside against Sergio Aguero. Free kick taken by Pavel Horvath.
- 57:16 The assist for the goal came from Samir Nasri.
- 57:16 GOAL - Sergio Aguero:Plzen 0 - 3 Man City Sergio Aguero slots the ball left footed into the goal. Plzen 0-3 Man City.
- 55:36 Daniel Kolar gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Pablo Zabaleta. Joe Hart takes the free kick.
- 55:11 Unfair challenge on Tomas Horava by Edin Dzeko results in a free kick. Lukas Hejda takes the free kick.
- 54:49 Corner taken by Samir Nasri from the right by-line. Clearance made by David Limbersky.
- 54:37 Shot by Sergio Aguero. Matus Kozacik parries the ball away.
- 54:05 Pavel Horvath takes a shot.
- 52:51 Assist by Samir Nasri.
- 52:51 GOAL - Yaya Toure :Plzen 0 - 2 Man City Yaya Toure slots the ball right footed into the goal. Plzen 0-2 Man City.
- 51:33 Frantisek Rajtoral delivers the ball. Jan Kovarik takes a shot. Pablo Zabaleta gets a block in. Short corner taken by Pavel
Horvath from the left by-line.
- 50:39 Edin Dzeko takes a shot.
- 50:04 Shot by Edin Dzeko went wide left of the goal.
- 48:47 Sergio Aguero gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Lukas Hejda. Lukas Hejda restarts play with the free kick.
- 47:39 The assist for the goal came from Sergio Aguero.
- 47:39 GOAL - Edin Dzeko:Plzen 0 - 1 Man City Edin Dzeko grabs a goal with a left foot finish. Plzen 0-1 Man City.
- 45:59 The ball is sent over by Samir Nasri.
- 45:01 The second half has started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:31 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- 44:23 Sergio Aguero takes a shot. Matus Kozacik safely holds on.
- 41:59 The referee blows for offside against Sergio Aguero. Free kick taken by Matus Kozacik.
- 41:32 Edin Dzeko takes a shot. Frantisek Rajtoral gets a block in.
- 39:11 Booking
- 39:07 David Limbersky challenges Vincent Kompany unfairly and gives away a free kick. David Limbersky goes into the book. Pablo
Zabaleta restarts play with the free kick.
- 37:47 Tomas Horava has an effort at goal and missed to the right of the goal.
- 36:54 Unfair challenge on Daniel Kolar by Pablo Zabaleta results in a free kick. Free kick crossed by Pavel Horvath. Joe Hart gets
a fist to the ball to punch .
- 36:19 Sergio Aguero is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Matus Kozacik takes the free kick.
- 30:27 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Yaya Toure by Pavel Horvath. Yaya Toure takes the free kick.
- 27:53 Booking
- 27:45 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Milan Petrzela by Luis Fernandinho. Luis Fernandinho is cautioned. Pavel Horvath
restarts play with the free kick.
- 25:22 Sergio Aguero takes a shot. Shot by Aleksandar Kolarov. Matus Kozacik catches the ball.
- 24:15 Corner from the right by-line taken by Samir Nasri. David Limbersky manages to make a clearance.
- 24:02 Centre by Gonzalez Jesus Navas. Lukas Hejda makes a clearance.
- 22:45 Samir Nasri sends in a cross. Edin Dzeko takes a shot. A parry by Matus Kozacik prevents the goal. Edin Dzeko takes a shot.
Matus Kozacik catches the ball.
- 21:29 Corner taken by Samir Nasri.
- 19:32 Milan Petrzela fouled by Aleksandar Kolarov, the ref awards a free kick. Pavel Horvath crosses the ball in from the free kick.
Joe Hart parries the ball away.
- 17:47 The assistant referee flags for offside against Frantisek Rajtoral. Free kick taken by Joe Hart.
- 16:53 Booking
- 16:49 The referee penalises Aleksandar Kolarov for handball. Aleksandar Kolarov is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
Free kick taken by Frantisek Rajtoral.
- 15:55 Aleksandar Kolarov challenges Milan Petrzela unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Pavel Horvath.
- 13:15 Daniel Kolar is caught offside. Free kick taken by Joe Hart.
- 12:33 Free kick awarded for a foul by Matija Nastasic on Marek Bakos. Pavel Horvath restarts play with the free kick.
- 10:52 A cross is delivered by Jan Kovarik. Vincent Kompany manages to make a clearance.
- 10:36 Vincent Kompany concedes a free kick for a foul on Daniel Kolar. Pavel Horvath takes the free kick.
- 9:25 Corner taken by Gonzalez Jesus Navas from the right by-line. Header by Edin Dzeko goes harmlessly over the bar.
- 7:16 Corner taken by Samir Nasri from the right by-line. Header by Yaya Toure goes over the bar.
- 6:55 Gonzalez Jesus Navas takes a shot. Matus Kozacik turns it away with a finger tip save.
- 4:58 Marek Bakos is ruled offside. Free kick taken by Joe Hart.
- 3:28 Shot by Samir Nasri missed to the right of the target.
- 2:37 The assistant referee signals for offside against Frantisek Rajtoral. Joe Hart takes the free kick.
- 1:59 Unfair challenge on Pavel Horvath by Yaya Toure results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Pavel Horvath.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game started.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.