Man Utd 4 - 2 Bayer Leverkusen
Wayne Rooney reached the landmark of 200 goals for Manchester United as manager David Moyes made a winning start to his first Champions League group campaign.
Rooney has emerged as United's outstanding performer so far this season after a summer of transfer speculation and he was the inspiration once more as Bayer Leverkusen were comfortably beaten.
The striker - still wearing protection on the head wound that sidelined him for the defeat at Liverpool and England's draw in Ukraine - put the hosts ahead in contentious fashion as the German side appealed furiously for offside.
And United had to survive a minor scare when Leverkusen captain Simon Rolfes equalised early in the second half before Moyes' side fashioned the emphatic victory their superiority deserved.
Man Utd's 200 club
- Sir Bobby Charlton 249 goals
- Denis Law 237
- Jack Rowley 211
- Wayne Rooney 200
Robin van Persie's acrobatic volley put United back in front before Rooney turned on the style once more by scoring United's third and setting up another for Antonio Valencia with a pass weighted to perfection.
Omer Toprak's scrappy late second for Bayer could not take the gloss off a highly satisfactory night for Moyes on his first European adventure with United.
Rooney produced a body of evidence that only emphasised why Moyes and United were so steadfast in their refusal to consider his sale, despite the player's discontent and offers from Premier League rivals Chelsea.
Rooney's rehabilitation has been impressive and he was easily United's most dangerous performer as the Premier League champions got the three points they needed to start this Group A campaign.
He proved too powerful for the Bundesliga side to control and it would have been a familiar sight to their coach Sami Hyypia after his 10-year career at Liverpool.
Son Heung-Min was unfortunate to be shown a yellow card for a tussle with Rooney - but Leverkusen's pain was even more acute when he put United ahead in controversial fashion after 22 minutes.
Leverkusen thought Van Persie was offside in the build up but they were even more aggrieved when the referee's assistant - standing almost on top of the incident - failed to spot Valencia standing in a clearly offside position alongside keeper Bernd Leno as Rooney swept in Patrice Evra's cross.
Leverkusen showed signs of life after Rooney's goal but it was United, with Marouane Fellaini patrolling midfield effectively on his full debut, who were dictating terms and creating the better chances, with Rooney just off target with a free-kick and Shinji Kagawa's shot deflected just wide.
Rooney should have doubled United's lead, or at least given Van Persie the opportunity to do so, in a remarkable passage of play early in the second half.
Moyes & Rooney in the Champions League
- David Moyes began his Champions League career just as his predecessor Sir Alex Ferguson did - with a 4-2 win at Old Trafford.
- Wayne Rooney extended his record as the most prolific English scorer in the Champions League, taking his tally to 29.
- Rooney's two goals against Leverkusen was his sixth brace in the Champions League.
Toprak's slip left Rooney clear as he rounded Leno but he decided to shoot rather than play the simplest of passes to Van Persie in front of an open net and fired his effort across the face of goal.
It was real reprieve for Leverkusen and they took full advantage seconds later as captain Rolfes swept a precise finish past motionless United keeper David de Gea, with the help of the slightest glance off Michael Carrick, after 54 minutes.
Leverkusen were only on terms for five minutes before Van Persie restored United's advantage with a typically athletic volley from Valencia's cross - although he was aided by a dubious attempt to save from Leno, who flapped limply at the shot as it went past him.
It effectively settled the contest and Rooney wrapped it up with a clever finish past Leno at the near post for a 200th United goal since his move from Everton in 2004.
And there was a touch of the old United flourishes when they went further in front with 12 minutes left. Rooney was instrumental once more as they broke at pace, bursting clear before providing an inviting pass for Valencia to take in his stride and drill past Leno.
Toprak scrambled in Leverkusen's second after 87 minutes - but it hardly qualified as consolation and Van Persie should have scored another only to somehow turn his effort across the face of an open goal when it seemed more difficult to miss.
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 17 September 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
|Man Utd||4-2||B Leverkusen||FT|
- 01 De Gea
- 03 Evra
- 05 Ferdinand
- 12 Smalling
- 15 Vidic
- 16 Carrick
- 25 Valencia
- 26 Kagawa (Young 71)
- 31 Fellaini (Cleverley 81)
- 10 Rooney (Hernandez 84)
- 20 Van Persie yellow card
- 01 Leno
- 05 Spahic
- 17 Boenisch
- 21 Toprak
- 26 Donati
- 03 Reinartz yellow card
- 06 Rolfes
- 10 Can
- 07 Son yellow card (Bender 64)
- 11 Kiessling (Derdiyok 78)
- 18 Sam (Kruse 78)
- 25 Palop,
- 04 Wollscheid,
- 14 Hilbert,
- 08 Bender,
- 15 Oztunali,
- 23 Kruse,
- 09 Derdiyok
- Man Utd 60%
- B Leverkusen 40%
Attempts on target
- Man Utd 7
- B Leverkusen 7
Attempts off target
- Man Utd 9
- B Leverkusen 5
- Man Utd 6
- B Leverkusen 6
- Man Utd 7
- B Leverkusen 8
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:05 The game is over, as the referee blows the whistle.
- 90:00+2:19 A cross is delivered by Robbie Kruse. Clearance made by Patrice Evra.
- 90:00+0:07 Giulio Donati delivers the ball. Clearance made by Chris Smalling. Emre Can takes a shot.
- 88:15 Shot by Robin van Persie missed to the right of the target.
- 87:35 GOAL - Omer Toprak:Man Utd 4 - 2 Bayer Leverkusen Omer Toprak slots the ball right footed into the goal. Man Utd 4-2 Bayer Leverkusen.
- 86:58 Corner from the right by-line taken by Emre Can. Header at goal by Stefan Reinartz hits the woodwork.
- 86:42 Lars Bender produces a cross. Rio Ferdinand manages to make a clearance.
- 84:09 The ball is delivered by Antonio Valencia. Clearance made by Omer Toprak.
- 83:57 Substitution Wayne Rooney leaves the field to be replaced by Javier Hernandez.
- 82:26 Corner from the right by-line taken by Robin van Persie. Wayne Rooney takes a shot. Bernd Leno catches the ball.
- 81:28 Corner taken by Robin van Persie. Clearance by Eren Derdiyok. Antonio Valencia takes a shot and went wide of the right hand upright.
- 81:09 A cross is delivered by Antonio Valencia. Clearance made by Emir Spahic.
- 80:34 Substitution Marouane Fellaini leaves the field to be replaced by Tom Cleverley.
- 78:29 Assist on the goal came from Wayne Rooney.
- 78:29 GOAL - Antonio Valencia:Man Utd 4 - 1 Bayer Leverkusen Antonio Valencia scores with a right foot finish. Man Utd 4-1 Bayer Leverkusen.
- 77:33 Substitution Eren Derdiyok replaces Stefan Kiessling.
- 77:33 Substitution Robbie Kruse is brought on as a substitute for Sidney Sam.
- 77:11 Lars Bender delivers the ball. Clearance by Rio Ferdinand.
- 76:22 Antonio Valencia sends in a cross. Emir Spahic makes a clearance.
- 74:48 Lars Bender fouled by Robin van Persie, the ref awards a free kick. Sidney Sam has an effort direct from the free kick. David De Gea catches the ball.
- 74:19 The ball is delivered by Simon Rolfes. Chris Smalling manages to make a clearance.
- 72:57 Antonio Valencia is caught offside. Free kick taken by Sebastian Boenisch.
- 70:37 Substitution (Man Utd) makes a substitution, with Ashley Young coming on for Shinji Kagawa.
- 69:30 GOAL - Wayne Rooney:Man Utd 3 - 1 Bayer Leverkusen Wayne Rooney scores a right footed goal. Man Utd 3-1 Bayer Leverkusen.
- 69:01 Lars Bender takes a shot. David De Gea safely holds on.
- 67:47 Antonio Valencia takes the chance to get an effort at goal and missed to the left of the target. Corner from the left by-line taken by Wayne Rooney. Stefan Kiessling manages to make a clearance.
- 65:16 Free kick awarded for a foul by Giulio Donati on Robin van Persie. Srike on goal from Wayne Rooney hits the wall from the free kick.
- 63:36 Substitution Heung-Min Son goes off and Lars Bender comes on.
- 63:15 Sebastian Boenisch takes a shot and went wide of the right hand upright.
- 62:00 Sebastian Boenisch sends in a cross. Marouane Fellaini makes a clearance.
- 58:47 Assist by Antonio Valencia.
- 58:47 GOAL - Robin van Persie:Man Utd 2 - 1 Bayer Leverkusen Robin van Persie scores with a right foot finish. Man Utd 2-1 Bayer Leverkusen.
- 58:39 The ball is crossed by Antonio Valencia.
- 57:46 Wayne Rooney crosses the ball. Clearance made by Stefan Reinartz.
- 57:11 Corner taken by Wayne Rooney from the left by-line. Clearance by Giulio Donati.
- 56:27 Sidney Sam takes a shot and missed to the left of the target.
- Correction - 53:44 Heung-Min Son provided the assist for the goal.
- 53:44 Assist by Heung-Min Son.
- 53:44 GOAL - Simon Rolfes:Man Utd 1 - 1 Bayer Leverkusen Simon Rolfes grabs a goal with a left foot finish. Man Utd 1-1 Bayer Leverkusen.
- 53:24 Heung-Min Son takes a shot. Rio Ferdinand gets a block in.
- 53:02 Antonio Valencia produces a cross.
- 51:51 Shot by Wayne Rooney went wide of the right-hand post.
- 50:30 Sidney Sam takes a shot. David De Gea safely holds on.
- 50:17 The ball is crossed by Giulio Donati.
- 49:42 Stefan Kiessling gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Marouane Fellaini. Marouane Fellaini takes the free kick.
- 49:09 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Simon Rolfes by Robin van Persie. Omer Toprak takes the free kick.
- 48:36 Patrice Evra challenges Giulio Donati unfairly and gives away a free kick. Emir Spahic takes the free kick.
- 47:44 Antonio Valencia produces a cross that goes out of play.
- 45:46 The ball is sent over by Wayne Rooney. Bernd Leno catches the ball.
- 45:01 The second half kicks off.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:22 The whistle is blown to end the first half.
- 44:56 Shot by Robin van Persie missed to the left of the net.
- 44:42 Corner from the right by-line taken by Robin van Persie.
- 43:52 The ball is delivered by Antonio Valencia. Shinji Kagawa takes a shot and missed to the right of the net.
- 41:11 Foul by Emre Can on Robin van Persie, free kick awarded. Shot comes in from Wayne Rooney from the free kick that goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 38:05 Booking
- 37:56 Giulio Donati fouled by Robin van Persie, the ref awards a free kick. The referee books Robin van Persie for unsporting behaviour. Bernd Leno restarts play with the free kick.
- 37:27 Foul by Robin van Persie on Omer Toprak, free kick awarded. Bernd Leno restarts play with the free kick.
- 35:00 Robin van Persie delivers the ball. Clearance made by Emir Spahic.
- 34:15 Free kick awarded for a foul by Chris Smalling on Simon Rolfes. Free kick taken by Stefan Reinartz.
- 33:40 Sebastian Boenisch produces a cross that goes out of play.
- 31:38 Giulio Donati takes a shot. Blocked by Nemanja Vidic. Corner taken by Emre Can from the left by-line.
- 31:06 Sebastian Boenisch produces a cross. Rio Ferdinand manages to make a clearance. Corner taken by Emre Can. Nemanja Vidic makes a clearance.
- 27:48 Sidney Sam delivers the ball. Clearance made by Chris Smalling. Corner taken by Emre Can from the left by-line.
- 26:29 Marouane Fellaini gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Simon Rolfes. Simon Rolfes restarts play with the free kick.
- 26:13 The referee blows for offside against Robin van Persie. Omer Toprak takes the free kick.
- 24:34 Corner from the right by-line taken by Robin van Persie.
- 21:09 Assist on the goal came from Patrice Evra.
- 21:09 GOAL - Wayne Rooney:Man Utd 1 - 0 Bayer Leverkusen Wayne Rooney grabs a goal with a right foot finish. Man Utd 1-0 Bayer Leverkusen.
- 21:09 A cross is delivered by Patrice Evra.
- 18:30 Booking
- 18:19 Stefan Reinartz challenges Michael Carrick unfairly and gives away a free kick. Stefan Reinartz is given a yellow card. Robin van Persie produces a cross. Header at goal by Chris Smalling goes over the bar.
- 16:21 Chris Smalling produces a cross. Emir Spahic makes a clearance. The ball is sent over by Michael Carrick. Bernd Leno catches the ball.
- 15:52 Free kick awarded for a foul by Stefan Kiessling on Nemanja Vidic. Free kick taken by Nemanja Vidic.
- 14:26 A cross is delivered by Sidney Sam. Clearance by Rio Ferdinand.
- 13:23 Booking
- 13:14 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Wayne Rooney by Heung-Min Son. Michael Carrick restarts play with the free kick. Heung-Min Son goes into the book for unsporting behaviour.
- 12:31 Stefan Reinartz takes a shot. Nemanja Vidic gets a block in. Corner from the right by-line taken by Sidney Sam. Nemanja Vidic manages to make a clearance.
- 11:40 Emre Can sends in a cross. Clearance made by Nemanja Vidic.
- 10:23 Corner taken by Sidney Sam. Clearance made by Rio Ferdinand.
- 9:55 Robin van Persie takes a shot and missed to the right of the net.
- 9:01 Foul by Stefan Reinartz on Marouane Fellaini, free kick awarded. Michael Carrick takes the free kick.
- 7:11 Wayne Rooney takes a shot. Omer Toprak gets a block in.
- 4:13 Free kick awarded for a foul by Sebastian Boenisch on Chris Smalling. Michael Carrick takes the free kick.
- 0:00 The match begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.