Marseille 1 - 2 Arsenal
Aaron Ramsey continued his fine form to help earn Arsenal a record 10th successive away win as they strode past Marseille in the Champions League.
Ramsey's goal six minutes from time settled the contest when he collected Kieran Gibbs' ball to fire in from 16 yards for his sixth in seven games.
Theo Walcott's volley midway through the second half gained control of the game after some early scares.
A stoppage-time penalty by Marseille's Jordan Ayew made little difference.
Ramsey brought down Andre Ayew for the spot-kick, with the Marseille forward appearing to make the most of any contact.
Arsenal's inspiration from last season
- Arsenal's 10-game winning streak away from home began when they beat last season's Champions League winners Bayern Munich in the second leg of their last 16 tie on 13 March
But it did little to spoil another fine result for the Gunners, who picked up their sixth successive win since losing on the opening day of the Premier League to Aston Villa.
Just before Walcott's goal, which came after a mistake by Marseille full-back Jeremy Morel, Gibbs cleared the ball off the line after a slice by fellow Gunners defender Per Mertesacker.
The left-back and Ramsey were the visitors' most impressive performers as Arsenal repeated the same result that they achieved at the Stade Velodrome in the Champions League two years ago.
That night, Ramsey scored a late winner, but his development is reaching new heights and he scored three goals in a play-off tie victory over Fenerbahce that ensured Arsenal's 16th successive Champions League campaign.
In Marseille, he crafted much of Arsenal's best play with clever running and smart distribution though, at times, Arsenal appeared unbalanced in their formation with Jack Wilshere employed on the left side of a front three behind striker Olivier Giroud.
That gave the French side plenty of space down the right side and Arsene Wenger's team will not be able to afford the same luxuries to upcoming Group F opponents Napoli and Borussia Dortmund.
With Italian side Napoli winning 2-1 against last season's finalists from Germany, this result took on even more importance and the Gunners may need to be tighter in midfield when they host Rafael Benitez's side in their next European match.
Deadline day signing Mesut Ozil made his European debut for the Gunners after an impressive display against Sunderland on Saturday, but he was a flitting influence in the first period.
Walcott had the visitors' best chance before the break when he fired straight at Steve Mandanda despite having his shirt pulled as he bore down on goal, but Marseille should have gone into the break in front.
France international Mathieu Valbeuna was easily the most creative force in the first period and twice went close.
After an uninspiring first period, the game improved in the second as chances began to stack up.
Rod Fanni shot wide just after the interval before Dimitri Payet, finding room on the right wing, had a stinging effort saved by Wojciech Szczesny.
At the other end, Gibbs played a lovely one-two with Ozil before having a shot saved by Mandanda and also saved Mertesacker's embarrassment as the Germany defender returned to the team after illness.
Shortly afterwards, Morel failed to clear Gibbs' cross as Walcott struck his first goal of the season, and when Ramsey signalled his growing influence on the team the victory was secured.
The late penalty did little to dampen Arsenal's delight at the final whistle.
Live text and stats
Wednesday, 18 September 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 30 Mandanda
- 03 N'Koulou yellow card
- 04 Lucas Mendes
- 15 Morel
- 24 Fanni
- 20 Romao
- 25 Gilbert Imbula (Florian Thauvin 79)
- 28 Valbuena (Khelifa 90)
- 09 Gignac
- 10 A Ayew
- 17 Payet (J Ayew 73)
- 16 Samba,
- 23 Mendy,
- 07 Cheyrou,
- 13 Lemina,
- 11 J Ayew,
- 14 Florian Thauvin,
- 29 Khelifa
- 01 Szczesny
- 03 Sagna
- 04 Mertesacker
- 06 Koscielny
- 28 Gibbs
- 10 Wilshere
- 11 Ozil
- 14 Walcott (Monreal 78)
- 16 Ramsey yellow card
- 20 Flamini (Miyaichi 90+1)
- 12 Giroud
- Marseille 55%
- Arsenal 45%
Attempts on target
- Marseille 6
- Arsenal 7
Attempts off target
- Marseille 9
- Arsenal 2
- Marseille 7
- Arsenal 4
- Marseille 9
- Arsenal 8
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+3:10 The referee brings the game to a close.
- 90:00+2:24 GOAL - Jordan Ayew:Marseille 1 - 2 Arsenal Jordan Ayew scores a placed penalty. Marseille 1-2 Arsenal.
- 90:00+1:20 Andre Ayew fouled by Aaron Ramsey, the ref awards a Penalty.
- 90:00+0:03 Substitution Mathieu Flamini leaves the field to be replaced by Ryo Miyaichi.
- 89:39 Substitution Saber Khelifa comes on in place of Mathieu Valbuena.
- 83:46 Kieran Gibbs provided the assist for the goal.
- 83:46 GOAL - Aaron Ramsey:Marseille 0 - 2 Arsenal Aaron Ramsey scores with their right foot. Marseille 0-2 Arsenal.
- 83:09 Andre Ayew challenges Jack Wilshere unfairly and gives away a free kick. Mathieu Flamini restarts play with the free kick.
- 82:39 Mesut Ozil takes the chance to get an effort at goal and missed to the right of the goal.
- 80:15 Shot by Mathieu Valbuena went wide of the left-hand post.
- 78:43 Substitution Florian Thauvin joins the action as a substitute, replacing Gilbert Imbula.
- 77:02 Substitution Nacho Monreal comes on in place of Theo Walcott.
- 77:02 Olivier Giroud is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Free kick taken by Nicolas N'Koulou.
- 76:03 Mathieu Valbuena takes a shot. Wojciech Szczesny safely holds on.
- 74:45 Foul by Alaixys Romao on Mathieu Flamini, free kick awarded. Aaron Ramsey takes the free kick.
- 74:29 Foul by Michel Lucas Mendes on Mesut Ozil, free kick awarded. Mesut Ozil takes the free kick.
- 72:56 Shot by Mathieu Valbuena cleared the crossbar.
- 72:17 Substitution Dimitri Payet goes off and Jordan Ayew comes on.
- 71:11 Corner taken by Theo Walcott. Header at goal by Olivier Giroud misses to the right.
- 67:37 Corner taken by Dimitri Payet. Header at goal by Michel Lucas Mendes goes over the bar.
- 67:09 Dimitri Payet takes a shot. Diving save by Wojciech Szczesny.
- 66:34 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jack Wilshere by Rod Fanni. Wojciech Szczesny restarts play with the free kick.
- 64:01 The assist for the goal came from Kieran Gibbs.
- 64:01 GOAL - Theo Walcott:Marseille 0 - 1 Arsenal Theo Walcott scores with a right foot finish. Marseille 0-1 Arsenal.
- 62:42 Gilbert Imbula takes a shot. Wojciech Szczesny safely holds on.
- 62:03 Andre Ayew fouled by Jack Wilshere, the ref awards a free kick. Free kick taken by Rod Fanni.
- 61:18 Mathieu Valbuena takes a shot. Blocked by Per Mertesacker.
- 58:38 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Aaron Ramsey by Alaixys Romao. Mesut Ozil restarts play with the free kick.
- 58:15 Corner taken by Theo Walcott.
- 57:45 Jack Wilshere takes a shot. Diving save by Steve Mandanda.
- 55:55 Dimitri Payet takes a shot. Wojciech Szczesny safely holds on.
- 55:40 Olivier Giroud handles the ball and concedes a free kick. Nicolas N'Koulou takes the free kick.
- 53:32 Booking
- 53:24 Foul by Aaron Ramsey on Andre Ayew, free kick awarded. The referee shows Aaron Ramsey a yellow card for unsporting behaviour. Free kick taken by Jeremy Morel.
- 52:59 Kieran Gibbs takes a shot. Steve Mandanda parries the effort to safety.
- 51:59 Unfair challenge on Olivier Giroud by Michel Lucas Mendes results in a free kick. Mesut Ozil takes the free kick.
- 49:30 Corner taken by Mesut Ozil from the right by-line. Clearance made by Michel Lucas Mendes.
- 48:47 Free kick awarded for a foul by Laurent Koscielny on Andre Pierre Gignac. Gilbert Imbula takes the free kick.
- 47:31 Andre Pierre Gignac is caught offside. Laurent Koscielny restarts play with the free kick.
- 46:14 Rod Fanni takes a shot and went wide left of the goal.
- 45:44 Corner taken by Mathieu Valbuena. Aaron Ramsey makes a clearance.
- 45:01 The second half begins.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:09 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 44:22 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Andre Ayew by Olivier Giroud. Free kick taken by Mathieu Valbuena.
- 42:04 Foul by Aaron Ramsey on Dimitri Payet, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Mathieu Valbuena.
- 40:32 Booking
- 40:26 Nicolas N'Koulou concedes a free kick for a foul on Olivier Giroud. Nicolas N'Koulou is shown a yellow card for unsporting behaviour. Mesut Ozil takes the free kick.
- 38:28 Corner taken by Dimitri Payet. Corner taken by Dimitri Payet from the right by-line. Header at goal by Andre Pierre Gignac goes over the bar. Laurent Koscielny makes a clearance.
- 37:01 Andre Pierre Gignac gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Laurent Koscielny. Kieran Gibbs restarts play with the free kick.
- 34:10 Aaron Ramsey takes a shot. Olivier Giroud gets a block in.
- 31:59 Corner taken by Mathieu Valbuena. Laurent Koscielny manages to make a clearance.
- 28:39 Foul by Andre Ayew on Bacary Sagna, free kick awarded. Wojciech Szczesny takes the free kick.
- 26:14 The referee blows for offside. Wojciech Szczesny restarts play with the free kick.
- 24:53 Corner from the right by-line taken by Mesut Ozil.
- 22:23 The official flags Andre Pierre Gignac offside. Laurent Koscielny restarts play with the free kick.
- 21:34 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Mathieu Valbuena by Laurent Koscielny. Mathieu Valbuena restarts play with the free kick.
- 20:51 Header at goal by Andre Ayew misses left of the target.
- 20:26 Corner from the right by-line taken by Dimitri Payet. Per Mertesacker manages to make a clearance.
- 19:59 Andre Pierre Gignac has an effort at goal and missed to the right of the target.
- 18:17 Mathieu Valbuena takes a shot.
- 17:10 Dimitri Payet fouled by Kieran Gibbs, the ref awards a free kick. Rod Fanni takes the free kick.
- 14:39 Corner from the right by-line taken by Dimitri Payet. Per Mertesacker makes a clearance.
- 7:27 The official flags Andre Pierre Gignac offside. Wojciech Szczesny restarts play with the free kick.
- 6:24 Theo Walcott is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Free kick taken by Steve Mandanda.
- 5:18 Theo Walcott takes a shot. Steve Mandanda catches the ball.
- 2:43 Theo Walcott takes a shot. Nicolas N'Koulou gets a block in.
- 2:13 Gilbert Imbula takes the chance to get an effort at goal. Wojciech Szczesny catches the ball.
- 1:34 Andre Pierre Gignac takes a shot. Wojciech Szczesny safely holds on.
- 0:00 The match has kicked off.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.