Jermain Defoe moved within two goals of Martin Chivers' Tottenham European scoring record as Spurs eased to victory against Norwegians Tromso.
The England striker produced a precise finish after a pass from new signing Erik Lamela to put the hosts ahead.
Eight minutes later Defoe ran on to a Lewis Holtby through ball and scored his 20th European goal for the club.
Christian Eriksen curled in from 25 yards for his first goal for the club late on to put Spurs top of Group K.
The only negatives were potential injuries to Danny Rose, Moussa Dembele and Younes Kaboul.
Left-back Rose limped off just after the half-hour, while Belgium midfielder Dembele was carried off on a stretcher in the second half, and Spurs finished the game with 10 men after defender Younes Kaboul went off in the final minutes.
But with Andre Villas-Boas making six changes to the side that beat Norwich 2-0 last Saturday, Tottenham produced a controlled performance that suggests they have the squad depth to be able to rotate and thrive in Europe.
Defoe's deadly European form
Defoe has now scored eight goals in his last seven Europa League matches.
Villas-Boas has preferred new signing Roberto Soldado in attack so far this season and Defoe has found his domestic action limited to a total of 37 minutes across three substitute appearances in the Premier League.
But the 30-year-old once again demonstrated he remains a ruthlessly effective option in Europe.
The Spurs head coach can only have been impressed with the way the striker combined with Holtby and Lamela, making his first start since
joining from Roma,
particularly in the opening 30 minutes.
Tromso were forced deep from the start and the ease with which Holtby opened them up for Defoe's firm shot to be saved by goalkeeper Marcus Sahlman was ominous.
In the 21st-minute, Defoe made no mistake when he was picked out by a gentle first-time pass from Lamela before clipping the ball over Sahlman to open the scoring.
The second came when Germany midfielder Holtby slid through for Defoe, who again cleverly lost his marker, to guide a shot into the corner.
Tromso's on-loan Fulham midfielder Josh Pritchard dragged well wide from distance with the visitors' only hint of a threat in the opening period.
Tottenham failed to reproduce the same intensity after the interval, with Holtby and Dembele both missing from distance.
Dembele's replacement Eriksen produced a fine ball that saw Sandro's header saved by Sahlman.
With a Premier League game against Cardiff on Sunday and a Capital One Cup match at Aston Villa on Tuesday, Spurs rarely extended themselves, although Eriksen scored his first for the club with a dipping effort from outside the area.
Live text and stats
Thursday, 19 September 2013
- Defoe 21
- Defoe 29
- Eriksen 86
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:06 The referee blows the whistle to end the game.
- 90:00+1:17 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Joe Paulo Paulinho by Magnus Andersen. Joe Paulo Paulinho takes the free kick.
- 89:15 Gylfi Sigurdsson challenges Ruben Kristiansen unfairly and gives away a free kick. Morten Moldskred crosses the ball in from
the free kick.
- 85:51 The assist for the goal came from Kyle Naughton.
- 85:51 GOAL - Christian Eriksen:Tottenham 3 - 0 Tromso Christian Eriksen scores with a right foot finish. Spurs 3-0 Tromso.
- 83:47 The ball is sent over by Morten Moldskred. Clearance by Michael Dawson.
- 83:03 Ruben Kristiansen crosses the ball. Michael Dawson manages to make a clearance. Corner taken by Morten Moldskred from the
left by-line. Raniere Sandro makes a clearance.
- 82:14 The ball is crossed by Joe Paulo Paulinho.
- 81:59 Joe Paulo Paulinho takes a shot. Jaroslaw Fojut gets a block in.
- 80:47 Unfair challenge on Erik Lamela by Kent-Are Antonsen results in a free kick. Hugo Lloris restarts play with the free kick.
- 77:11 Substitution Thomas Drage goes off and Magnus Andersen comes on.
- 70:37 Booking
- 70:33 Free kick crossed by Christian Eriksen goes out of play.
- 70:33 Substitution Joe Paulo Paulinho comes on in place of Lewis Holtby.
- 70:33 Jaroslaw Fojut concedes a free kick for a foul on Erik Lamela. Jaroslaw Fojut receives a caution.
- 70:08 Christian Eriksen sends in a cross. Raniere Sandro takes a shot. Marcus Sahlman catches the ball.
- 69:12 Corner from the left by-line taken by Lewis Holtby. Clearance made by Thomas Drage.
- 67:31 Gylfi Sigurdsson concedes a free kick for a foul on Adnan Causevic. Free kick taken by Marcus Sahlman.
- 66:14 Corner taken by Thomas Drage from the left by-line. Hugo Lloris punches the ball.
- 65:24 Free kick awarded for a foul by Erik Lamela on Ruben Kristiansen. Marcus Sahlman restarts play with the free kick.
- 63:27 Substitution Christian Eriksen replaces Mousa Dembele.
- 63:00 Shot by Josh Pritchard went harmlessly over the bar.
- 60:18 Booking
- 60:14 Free kick taken by Jan Vertonghen.
- 60:14 Substitution Kent-Are Antonsen joins the action as a substitute, replacing Mika Koppinen.
- 60:14 Free kick awarded for a foul by Lars Johnsen on Mousa Dembele. Lars Johnsen receives a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 58:53 Mousa Dembele has an effort at goal and missed to the left of the target.
- 57:20 The assistant referee signals for offside against Jermain Defoe. Marcus Sahlman restarts play with the free kick.
- 56:58 Gylfi Sigurdsson takes a shot.
- 56:10 Unfair challenge on Josh Pritchard by Michael Dawson results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Jaroslaw Fojut.
- 54:25 Shot by Lewis Holtby went wide of the left-hand post.
- 50:22 Foul by Zdenek Ondrasek on Lewis Holtby, free kick awarded. Mousa Dembele takes the free kick.
- 49:45 Corner from the left by-line taken by Gylfi Sigurdsson. Marcus Sahlman catches the ball.
- 48:44 Mousa Dembele gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Zdenek Ondrasek. Jaroslaw Fojut takes the free kick.
- 46:06 The ball is swung over by Kyle Naughton.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half underway.
- 45:01 Substitution Thomas Bendiksen leaves the field to be replaced by Lars Johnsen.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:06 The referee calls an end to the first half.
- 44:51 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Zdenek Ondrasek by Raniere Sandro. Josh Pritchard crosses the ball in from the
free kick. Raniere Sandro manages to make a clearance.
- 43:57 Jermain Defoe takes the chance to get an effort at goal. Diving save by Marcus Sahlman.Short corner taken by Erik Lamela.
Lewis Holtby takes a shot.
- 42:21 Josh Pritchard takes the chance to get an effort at goal and missed to the left of the goal.
- 41:41 Gylfi Sigurdsson takes a shot and missed to the left of the net.
- 39:37 The official flags Zdenek Ondrasek offside. Free kick taken by Hugo Lloris.
- 39:06 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jermain Defoe on Thomas Bendiksen. Free kick taken by Mika Koppinen.
- 37:49 Free kick taken by Marcus Sahlman.
- 37:49 Substitution Jan Vertonghen is brought on as a substitute for Danny Rose.
- 37:49 The assistant referee signals for offside against Jermain Defoe.
- 37:32 The ball is swung over by Erik Lamela.
- 28:57 The assist for the goal came from Lewis Holtby.
- 28:57 GOAL - Jermain Defoe:Tottenham 2 - 0 Tromso Jermain Defoe slots the ball left footed into the goal. Spurs 2-0 Tromso.
- 27:24 The ball is swung over by Danny Rose. Jaroslaw Fojut manages to make a clearance.
- 25:12 Shot by Younes Kaboul went wide left of the target.
- 25:06 Corner taken by Lewis Holtby from the right by-line.
- 24:11 Thomas Bendiksen concedes a free kick for a foul on Danny Rose. Danny Rose restarts play with the free kick.
- 20:16 Erik Lamela provided the assist for the goal.
- 20:16 GOAL - Jermain Defoe:Tottenham 1 - 0 Tromso Jermain Defoe scores a right footed goal. Spurs 1-0 Tromso.
- 18:27 Gylfi Sigurdsson takes a shot. Marcus Sahlman catches the ball.
- 17:09 Mousa Dembele takes a shot.
- 15:01 Josh Pritchard is flagged offside by the assistant referee. Free kick taken by Michael Dawson.
- 14:04 Gylfi Sigurdsson has an effort at goal and missed to the right of the goal.
- 13:51 Jermain Defoe takes a shot. Marcus Sahlman blocks the ball.
- 12:16 Centre by Mousa Dembele. Clearance made by Jaroslaw Fojut.
- 9:16 Corner from the left by-line taken by Gylfi Sigurdsson.
- 5:43 Gylfi Sigurdsson concedes a free kick for a foul on Adnan Causevic. Free kick taken by Marcus Sahlman.
- 4:20 The ball is crossed by Kyle Naughton.
- 3:06 Danny Rose takes a shot. Marcus Sahlman catches the ball.
- 0:00 The match gets underway.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.