Partick Thistle 1 - 1 Kilmarnock
Kilmarnock recovered from an insipid first-half performance to take a deserved point from their league match against Partick Thistle at Firhill.
Aaron Muirhead smashed an 11th-minute penalty past Kilmarnock keeper Craig Samson as Thistle dominated.
Barry Nicholson headed wide for the visitors but after the break striker Kris Boyd headed Killie level.
Scott Fox was kept busy in the Jags goal while Samson saved well from Christie Elliot's late low shot.
Thistle had had a penalty claim waved aside by the time referee Bobby Madden looked on their pleas more favourably, but the decision was an easy one for him to make.
Kilmarnock's captain Manuel Pascali marked his first start of the season by marking the left hip of Steven Lawless with a clumsy high challenge, probably the result of rustiness rather than maliciousness.
A booking and a Thistle goal followed as centre-half Muirhead slammed the penalty straight down the middle past the diving Samson.
Thistle looked the more dangerous side from the first whistle and their half-time lead was deserved, though Killie did gain ground as the half progressed.
Jags right-back Stephen O'Donnell was a perpetual threat down the flank, his best contribution setting up Kris Doolan for a looping header from 14 yards that floated into Samson's arms.
As Alan Archibald's men took control, Doolan weaved his way into the Killie box from the right, worked the ball on to his left foot and cracked a shot at goal that Samson did well to save down to his left to concede a corner.
Tenth-placed Killie had lost their last four games in all competitions and their opening play did little to suggest that run was about to end.
Veteran midfielder Nicholson wasted their best chance of the half when he got on the end of Sean Clohessy's excellent cross but he flashed his header wide from eight yards.
Samson prevented Kilmarnock from going up the tunnel at half-time two goals behind when he made an acrobatic leap to tip Kallum Higginbotham's header over the bar after the Jags striker had been picked out by Sean Welsh.
The direction of play stayed the same for the bulk of the second half but the teams had, of course, swapped ends.
In 47 minutes Boyd eased away from his marker Muirhead and headed Clohessy's cross into the net for a surprise equaliser and that set the tone for much of the half.
Boyd almost made it two in three minutes when he sent a glancing header at goal from Michael Gardyne's inviting cross only for Fox to repel his effort.
And the Jags keeper was cheered by the home fans when he made a tremendous save to stop new Killie signing Ismael Bouzid's powerful header from crossing the line.
Poor control by O'Donnell allowed to Boyd to seize the loose ball and he rasped a shot a fraction wide as Killie pushed for a lead.
Thistle had looked a shadow of the side that had dominated earlier, but an Elliot shot and Doolan just failing to connect with a cross at the back post will have quickened the pulse of Johnston in the away dugout.
And the momentum swung in Thistle's favour again in the closing stages when Doolan showed lovely skill to control a high ball to the back post and had a powerful shot blocked, and Elliot's low effort was blocked by Samson.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 21 September 2013
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Fox
- 02 O'Donnell
- 03 Sinclair yellow card
- 05 Muirhead
- 06 Balatoni
- 04 Welsh
- 08 Bannigan
- 11 Lawless (Elliot 61)
- 19 Osbourne (Craigen 90)
- 09 Doolan yellow card
- 23 Higginbotham yellow card (Forbes 76)
- 12 Gallacher,
- 10 Forbes,
- 20 Kerr,
- 22 Fraser,
- 07 Craigen,
- 14 Elliot,
- 17 Baird
- 01 Samson
- 02 Tesselaar (McKeown 6)
- 06 Barr
- 16 Clohessy yellow card
- 83 Ismael Bouzid
- 05 Irvine
- 07 Nicholson
- 19 Ibrahim (Stewart 77 yellow card)
- 29 Pascali yellow card
- 09 Boyd yellow card
- 25 Gardyne (Gross 85)
- 12 Reguero,
- 23 McKeown,
- 26 O'Hara,
- 11 Gross,
- 20 Jacobs,
- 22 Stewart,
- 30 Ashcroft
- Partick 52%
- Kilmarnock 48%
Attempts on target
- Partick 8
- Kilmarnock 3
Attempts off target
- Partick 2
- Kilmarnock 4
- Partick 6
- Kilmarnock 5
- Partick 7
- Kilmarnock 9
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+4:03 The final whistle is blown by the referee.
- 90:00+1:47 Corner taken by Barry Nicholson from the left by-line.
- 90:00+0:40 Kris Boyd manages to make a clearance.
- 90:00+0:36 Ross Forbes crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 90:00+0:08 Booking
- 90:00+0:08 Booking for Mark Stewart for unsporting behaviour.
- 90:00+0:04 Foul by Mark Stewart on Aaron Sinclair, free kick awarded.
- 89:28 Substitution James Craigen comes on in place of Isaac Osbourne.
- 86:56 Shot by William Gros went wide of the left-hand post.
- 85:22 Christie Elliot takes a shot. A parry by Craig Samson prevents the goal.
- 84:41 Substitution Michael Gardyne leaves the field to be replaced by William Gros.
- 83:05 Clearance made by Sean Clohessy.
- 83:01 Corner taken by Ross Forbes from the right by-line.
- 82:16 Clearance by Darren Barr.
- 82:10 Free kick crossed by Ross Forbes.
- 81:59 Free kick awarded for a foul by Sean Clohessy on Aaron Sinclair.
- 80:34 Shot by Christie Elliot missed to the left of the target.
- 76:11 Substitution Mark Stewart is brought on as a substitute for Rabiu Ibrahim.
- 75:11 Substitution Ross Forbes is brought on as a substitute for Kallum Higginbotham.
- 71:08 The ball is delivered by Aaron Sinclair.
- 70:18 Christie Elliot has an effort at goal.
- 67:24 Rory McKeown crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 67:04 Booking
- 67:04 Caution for Kris Doolan.
- 66:56 Jackson Irvine fouled by Kris Doolan, the ref awards a free kick.
- 65:19 Kris Doolan takes the chance to get an effort at goal. Craig Samson catches the ball.
- 63:19 Jackson Irvine takes a shot and went wide of the left-hand upright.
- 60:12 Substitution Christie Elliot comes on in place of Steven Lawless.
- 59:51 Shot by Kris Boyd cleared the bar.
- 55:40 Scott Fox restarts play with the free kick.
- 55:14 Booking
- 55:14 Kris Boyd is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 54:54 Foul by Kris Boyd on Aaron Sinclair, free kick awarded.
- 54:08 Conrad Balatoni makes a clearance.
- 54:04 Corner from the right by-line taken by Barry Nicholson.
- 53:49 Chance falls to Manuel Pascali who heads at goal.
- 53:38 Corner taken by Barry Nicholson.
- 53:13 Clearance by Conrad Balatoni.
- 53:08 Corner from the right by-line taken by Barry Nicholson.
- 49:15 Kris Boyd gets a header at goal.
- 49:11 Michael Gardyne delivers the ball.
- 47:06 Sean Clohessy provided the assist for the goal.
- 47:06 GOAL - Kris Boyd:Partick Thistle 1 - 1 Kilmarnock Kris Boyd grabs a goal with a headed effort. Partick 1-1 Kilmarnock.
- 45:01 The match restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:15 It is the end of the first-half.
- 45:00+0:12 Corner taken by Kallum Higginbotham from the right by-line.
- 44:49 Chance falls to Kallum Higginbotham who heads at goal.
- 44:42 The ball is swung over by Sean Welsh.
- 44:24 Sean Welsh delivers the ball.
- 42:11 Craig Samson takes the free kick.
- 41:48 The referee blows for offside.
- 41:36 Clearance by Conrad Balatoni.
- 41:30 Corner taken by Barry Nicholson.
- 39:27 Corner from the left by-line taken by Kallum Higginbotham.
- 34:00 Craig Samson takes the free kick.
- 33:47 Kris Doolan is caught offside.
- 32:24 Kris Boyd manages to make a clearance.
- 32:20 Kallum Higginbotham crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 31:57 Unfair challenge on Kris Doolan by Ismael Bouzid results in a free kick.
- 31:05 Clearance made by Conrad Balatoni.
- 30:46 Rory McKeown crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 30:34 Kallum Higginbotham concedes a free kick for a foul on Rabiu Ibrahim.
- 30:00 Header by Barry Nicholson misses left.
- 29:50 Centre by Sean Clohessy.
- 29:08 Clearance made by Darren Barr.
- 29:00 Corner taken by Kallum Higginbotham from the right by-line.
- 27:30 Free kick taken by Darren Barr.
- 27:22 Free kick awarded for a foul by Isaac Osbourne on Michael Gardyne.
- 25:21 Clearance by Stephen O'Donnell.
- 25:14 Barry Nicholson crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 25:07 Booking for Kallum Higginbotham for unsporting behaviour.
- 25:07 Booking
- 24:58 Foul by Kallum Higginbotham on Michael Gardyne, free kick awarded.
- 23:04 Sean Clohessy restarts play with the free kick.
- 22:56 The referee books Aaron Sinclair for unsporting behaviour.
- 22:56 Booking
- 22:48 Aaron Sinclair challenges Barry Nicholson unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 22:25 Free kick taken by Aaron Sinclair.
- 22:16 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Isaac Osbourne by Barry Nicholson.
- 21:01 Clearance made by Kris Boyd.
- 20:58 Corner taken by Kallum Higginbotham.
- 20:32 Kris Doolan takes a shot. A parry by Craig Samson prevents the goal.
- 19:58 Steven Lawless takes the chance to get an effort at goal and missed to the left of the goal.
- 18:03 Shot by Steven Lawless. Craig Samson safely holds on.
- 17:19 Kris Boyd makes a clearance.
- 17:12 Free kick crossed by Isaac Osbourne.
- 16:53 Sean Clohessy is cautioned by the ref for unsporting behaviour.
- 16:53 Booking
- 16:47 Foul by Sean Clohessy on Aaron Sinclair, free kick awarded.
- 15:54 Kris Doolan has a headed effort at goal. Craig Samson catches the ball.
- 15:46 Stephen O'Donnell crosses the ball.
- 15:27 Sean Clohessy takes the free kick.
- 15:09 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Jackson Irvine by Steven Lawless.
- 10:56 GOAL - Aaron Muirhead:Partick Thistle 1 - 0 Kilmarnock Penalty taken right-footed by Aaron Muirhead and scored. Partick 1-0 Kilmarnock.
- 10:29 Booking
- 10:29 Manuel Pascali booked.
- 10:06 Manuel Pascali concedes a Penalty for a foul on Steven Lawless.
- 8:15 Sean Welsh takes the free kick.
- 8:05 Barry Nicholson gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Isaac Osbourne.
- 7:15 Kallum Higginbotham has an effort at goal.
- 5:34 Free kick taken by Manuel Pascali.
- 5:12 Substitution Rory McKeown comes on in place of Jeroen Tesselaar.
- 4:45 Isaac Osbourne concedes a free kick for a foul on Jackson Irvine.
- 4:18 Craig Samson restarts play with the free kick.
- 4:00 Handball decision goes against Kris Doolan.
- 3:39 Free kick taken by Aaron Muirhead.
- 3:30 Kris Boyd gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Conrad Balatoni.
- 2:17 Corner taken by Kallum Higginbotham.
- 0:00 The match begins.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.