Hibernian 5 - 3 Stranraer
Liam Craig scored a hat-tick as Hibernian overcame a spirited Stranraer side in the Scottish League Cup.
The visitors took the lead through Jamie Longworth's header but Craig nodded Hibs level.
Abdellah Zoubir's deflected strike put the hosts ahead before Stranraer's Scott Rumsby scored an own goal.
A strike by Craig was quickly countered by Chris Aitken's long-range drive and then Michael Nelson's own goal but Craig sealed victory with a penalty.
Hibs progress to the quarter-finals, which will take place next month.
It was the Scottish League One visitors who were first to have an attempt on goal. Neat play by Jamie Longworth set up Martin Grehan who tried his luck from 18 yards but his effort was blocked.
And Stranraer soon shocked the home side by going in front. Chris Aitken took a corner from the left and Longworth glanced a header past Ben Williams.
That goal appeared to spur Hibs into action and the hosts equalised five minutes later.
Zoubir found space out on the left and sent a cross into the box where Craig was on hand to convert.
Hibs began to take a real hold of the game and Stranraer keeper David Mitchell did well to keep out efforts from Nelson, Craig and Zoubir.
And their pressure paid off when Zoubir drifted in from the left and fired in a shot from 25 yards that was deflected into the net off the post.
And they very quickly scored number three, although there was a huge slice of fortune for the home side.
Alan Maybury sent in a cross that was touched into his own goal by Stranraer full-back Rumsby.
Hibs increased their lead shortly the restart. Ryan McGivern, who came on as a half-time substitute for Maybury, played a pass through for Craig to fired home from 10 yards.
Stranraer though were far from a spent force and Aitken gave the small band of travelling fans hope when he fired in an shot from 25 yards that ended up nestling in net.
And those same fans were in ecstasy a few minutes later when Nelson nodded an Aitken corner into his own net.
At this point the Stranraer players were beginning to believe they could complete their comeback but their hopes were dashed when Craig concluded his treble from the penalty spot after the midfielder's shot had been blocked by Marc Corcoran's hand.
Hibernian manager Pat Fenlon: "It was a cracking game from start to finish.
"Stranraer had a fantastic start and then we started to play. We scored some decent goals and then we gave away some sloppy goals.
"We have to give Stranraer a lot of credit, I thought they were very, very good.
"Liam Craig's been very good, for the last three weeks he's been excellent. He gets plenty of goals and his all-round game was very, very good tonight.
"When he does get in the box, he's got a great knack of being in the right area at the right time and there's not a lot of midfielders like that who chip in with so many goals.
"We want a home draw if we can, when you're in the cup that's the only thing you can ask for. There's some real good sides left in it so no matter who we get, it'll be a tough draw for us."
Stranraer manager Stephen Aitken: "I'm over the moon with the way we played. Nothing was expected of them.
"We kept on going. I was proud of the players.
"The pleasing thing for me is that we showed a great attitude. The players can hold their heads up high.
"It's a learning curve and I think the players will take a lot of heart from that."
Live text and stats
Tuesday, 24 September 2013
Scottish League Cup
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 01 Williams
- 04 Hanlon
- 05 Nelson
- 16 Stevenson
- 18 Maybury (McGivern 46)
- 08 Robertson
- 09 Vine (Caldwell 79)
- 10 Craig
- 20 Taiwo
- 14 Collins
- 27 Zoubir (Stanton 83)
- 21 Murdoch,
- 03 McGivern,
- 06 McPake,
- 26 Stanton,
- 29 Caldwell
- 01 Mitchell
- 02 Rumsby yellow card
- 03 Kinnaird
- 04 Robertson
- 05 McKeown
- 06 Aitken
- 07 Stirling
- 08 Gallagher (Docherty 80)
- 10 Longworth (McKenna 73)
- 09 Grehan
- 11 Borris (Corcoran 57)
- 20 Fahey,
- 13 MacGregor,
- 16 Docherty,
- 12 Corcoran,
- 14 McKenna
- Hibernian 64%
- Stranraer 36%
Attempts on target
- Hibernian 13
- Stranraer 3
Attempts off target
- Hibernian 6
- Stranraer 6
- Hibernian 6
- Stranraer 3
- Hibernian 11
- Stranraer 7
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+2:17 The referee brings the game to a close.
- 88:26 David Mitchell manages to make a clearance.
- 88:23 The ball is sent over by Ross Caldwell.
- 87:31 Free kick taken by Frank McKeown.
- 87:23 Christopher Aitken fouled by Tom Taiwo, the ref awards a free kick.
- 86:46 Clearance by Ben Williams.
- 86:43 A cross is delivered by Mark Corcoran.
- 86:02 Michael Nelson restarts play with the free kick.
- 85:52 Unfair challenge on Tom Taiwo by Martin Grehan results in a free kick.
- 85:15 David Mitchell makes a clearance.
- 85:13 The ball is sent over by Sam Stanton.
- 84:54 James Collins takes a shot. David Mitchell safely holds on.
- 83:12 Ben Williams takes the free kick.
- 83:06 The referee gives a free kick against Christopher Aitken for handball.
- 82:42 Free kick taken by David Mitchell.
- 82:35 Substitution Sam Stanton comes on in place of Abdellah Zoubir.
- 82:21 Unfair challenge on Frank McKeown by Liam Craig results in a free kick.
- 82:06 Scott Robertson takes a shot. David Mitchell catches the ball.
- 80:27 Frank McKeown takes a shot and went wide of the right hand upright.
- 79:49 Substitution Grant Gallagher goes off and Mark Docherty comes on.
- 78:27 Substitution Ross Caldwell on for Rowan Vine.
- 78:01 Header at goal by Christopher Aitken goes over the bar.
- 77:39 Christopher Aitken has a direct shot on goal from the free kick.
- 77:01 David McKenna fouled by Paul Hanlon, the ref awards a free kick.
- 74:38 Corner taken by Liam Craig.
- 72:36 Substitution David McKenna on for Jamie Longworth.
- 72:18 Christopher Aitken takes a shot and went wide of the left-hand post.
- 69:57 Scott Robertson manages to make a clearance.
- 69:41 Christopher Aitken crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 69:31 Tom Taiwo challenges Mark Corcoran unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 68:26 Rowan Vine takes a shot. David Mitchell catches the ball.
- 67:39 Ben Williams makes a clearance.
- 67:27 Free kick crossed by Christopher Aitken.
- 67:10 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Scott Robertson by Ryan McGivern.
- 66:11 Header at goal by Christopher Aitken misses left of the target.
- 65:34 Shot by Abdellah Zoubir cleared the crossbar.
- 64:46 David Mitchell manages to make a clearance.
- 64:37 Shot by Rowan Vine.
- 63:37 Scott Rumsby takes the free kick.
- 63:23 Free kick awarded for a foul by Tom Taiwo on Christopher Aitken.
- 60:03 GOAL - Liam Craig:Hibernian 5 - 3 Stranraer Penalty taken left-footed by Liam Craig and scored. Hibernian 5-3 Stranraer.
- 59:40 Booking
- 59:40 Scott Rumsby goes into the referee's book.
- 59:26 Scott Rumsby is penalised for handball and concedes a .
- 56:14 Paul Hanlon takes the free kick.
- 56:05 Substitution Ryan Borris goes off and Mark Corcoran comes on.
- 55:32 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Tom Taiwo by Grant Gallagher.
- 53:58 Header by Abdellah Zoubir goes over the bar.
- 53:17 Liam Craig takes a shot and missed to the left of the target.
- 51:12 GOAL - Michael Nelson:Hibernian 4 - 3 Stranraer Michael Nelson scores an own goal. Hibernian 4-3 Stranraer.
- 50:49 Corner from the right by-line taken by Christopher Aitken.
- 49:17 Corner taken by Liam Craig.
- 49:00 Abdellah Zoubir takes a shot. Fine finger tip save by David Mitchell.
- Correction - 47:55 GOAL - Christopher Aitken:Hibernian 4 - 2 Stranraer Christopher Aitken grabs a goal with a right foot finish. Hibernian 4-2 Stranraer.
- 47:55 GOAL - Jamie Longworth:Hibernian 4 - 2 Stranraer Jamie Longworth grabs a goal with a right foot finish. Hibernian 4-2 Stranraer.
- 46:48 Assist on the goal came from Rowan Vine.
- 46:48 GOAL - Liam Craig:Hibernian 4 - 1 Stranraer Liam Craig grabs a goal with a left foot finish. Hibernian 4-1 Stranraer.
- 45:01 The referee starts the second half.
- 45:01 Substitution Alan Maybury leaves the field to be replaced by Ryan McGivern.
- Half Time
- 45:00+0:04 The ref blows to end the first period.
- 44:39 David Mitchell takes the free kick.
- 44:24 James Collins challenges Frank McKeown unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 43:43 Clearance by David Mitchell.
- 43:33 Corner taken by Liam Craig.
- 43:17 James Collins takes a shot.
- 41:58 Tom Taiwo takes the free kick.
- 41:48 Lloyd Kinnaird challenges Scott Robertson unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 37:37 Ben Williams restarts play with the free kick.
- 37:30 The official flags Jamie Longworth offside.
- 35:53 Centre by Rowan Vine.
- 34:33 Frank McKeown takes the free kick.
- 34:24 James Collins challenges Grant Gallagher unfairly and gives away a free kick.
- 33:47 GOAL - Abdellah Zoubir:Hibernian 2 - 1 Stranraer Abdellah Zoubir scores with a right foot finish. Hibernian 2-1 Stranraer.
- 33:01 Frank McKeown makes a clearance.
- 32:44 Liam Craig crosses the ball in from the free kick.
- 32:34 Free kick awarded for a foul by Frank McKeown on Rowan Vine.
- 31:40 Alan Maybury takes a shot and missed to the left of the net.
- 30:33 Corner taken by Christopher Aitken from the right by-line.
- 30:19 The ball is delivered by Andrew Stirling.
- 28:45 Shot by James Collins missed to the left of the target.
- 28:39 Liam Craig crosses the ball.
- 28:27 Clearance made by Lloyd Kinnaird.
- 28:11 Corner taken by Liam Craig.
- 26:07 Header at goal by Michael Nelson to the left of the net.
- 25:59 Corner from the right by-line taken by Liam Craig.
- 25:44 Abdellah Zoubir takes a shot.
- 24:14 Header by Frank McKeown goes to the left of the goal.
- 23:56 Free kick crossed by Christopher Aitken.
- 23:42 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Martin Grehan by Liam Craig.
- 19:50 Liam Craig gets a header at goal. David Mitchell safely holds on.
- 19:45 The ball is swung over by Alan Maybury.
- 18:55 Alan Maybury produces a cross.
- 18:40 Clearance by Grant Gallagher.
- 18:37 Corner from the right by-line taken by Liam Craig.
- 18:23 Michael Nelson gets a header at goal. Fine finger tip save by David Mitchell.
- 18:18 Free kick taken by Liam Craig.
- 18:01 Unfair challenge on James Collins by Frank McKeown results in a free kick.
- 12:31 Headed chance falls to Abdellah Zoubir.
- 11:20 Free kick taken by David Mitchell.
- 11:16 Scott Robertson concedes a free kick for a foul on Frank McKeown.
- 9:12 Michael Nelson restarts play with the free kick.
- 9:01 Foul by Grant Gallagher on Scott Robertson, free kick awarded.
- 7:57 The assist for the goal came from Rowan Vine.
- 7:57 GOAL - Liam Craig:Hibernian 1 - 1 Stranraer Liam Craig grabs a goal with a headed effort. Hibernian 1-1 Stranraer.
- 7:40 Free kick awarded for a foul by Ryan Borris on Liam Craig.
- 6:45 Frank McKeown takes the free kick.
- 6:36 Tom Taiwo concedes a free kick for a foul on Jamie Longworth.
- 6:08 Lloyd Kinnaird delivers the ball.
- 5:12 David Mitchell makes a clearance.
- 5:09 The ball is sent over by James Collins.
- 4:35 Abdellah Zoubir crosses the ball.
- 2:54 The assist for the goal came from Christopher Aitken.
- 2:54 GOAL - Jamie Longworth:Hibernian 0 - 1 Stranraer Jamie Longworth scores with a header. Hibernian 0-1 Stranraer.
- 2:35 Corner from the left by-line taken by Christopher Aitken.
- 0:00 The referee gets the match started.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.