Luis Suarez bite: Uruguay striker loses backing of gambling firm
Uruguay striker Luis Suarez has lost a sponsor after he was banned for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini.
Online gambling firm 888poker said it had "decided to terminate its relationship" with "immediate effect".
Lila Piriz Da Rosa Suarez's grandmother
“Everyone knows what they've done to Luis. They wanted him out of the World Cup. Perfect, they did it. They chucked him out of there like a dog”
The Liverpool player, 27, was handed a four-month ban by governing body Fifa after being found guilty of biting Chiellini during a World Cup match.
Liverpool are seeking legal advice as Suarez cannot play for either club or country until the end of October.
He misses the rest of the 2014 Fifa World Cup in Brazil.
Uruguay will play Colombia in the last 16 on Saturday after qualifying from Group D behind Costa Rica.
Suarez joined 888poker as a worldwide ambassador shortly before the World Cup, and produced several video diaries for the website during the tournament, including one after his two goals in the 2-1 victory over England.
Suarez's boot deal with Adidas could also be in jeopardy after the sportswear manufacturer announced on Thursday it would consider its partnership with the player.
Liverpool remain unsure whether Suarez will be allowed to train during his ban, with the player set to earn about £3m during the time he is on the sidelines.
But while his future is unclear, it is understood the club have no intention of off-loading him on the cheap this summer, with both Barcelona and Real Madrid known to have had an interest in the player.
Suarez learned of his ban on Thursday after Fifa decided to open disciplinary proceedings.
He was judged to have bitten centre-half Chiellini on the left shoulder towards the end of Tuesday's group game, which Uruguay won 1-0 to qualify for the next stage.
Suarez denied the allegations, claiming Chiellini had bumped into him.
But Fifa decided he was guilty and handed him the longest ban in World Cup history.
As well as a four-month ban from any football-related activity, Suarez was also given a nine-match international suspension.
Spanish side Barcelona, however, remain keen on signing the striker .
Meanwhile Chiellini says the four-month ban given to Suarez is excessive.
The Juventus player said he has "no feelings of joy, revenge or anger against Suarez".
"Liverpool will not cash in on one of the world's best strikers for the sake of it - the owners will do what they feel is right for the club.
"It may take an offer of around £80m to persuade them to sell. Even then, the deal would have to be the right one for Liverpool"
Uruguay football officials say they plan to appeal against the suspension.
The decision to ban Suarez for four months has split opinion.
While the likes of former England captain Alan Shearer and ex-USA goalkeeper Brad Friedel have argued the ban is fair, reaction in Uruguay has largely been of anger.
Huge crowds gathered at Carrasco International Airport near Montevideo on Thursday as expectations grew that Suarez would be flying there.
Uruguay's Sports Minister Liliam Kechichian said the punishment was a "disproportionate sanction" that "hurts us", while Uruguay Football Association president Wilmar Valdez claimed the ban was "excessive".
He added: "It feels like Uruguay has been thrown out of the World Cup."
Suarez's lawyer, Alejandro Balbi, said the player was "totally distraught", while his grandmother, Lila Piriz Da Rosa, said her grandson had been treated like "a dog".
She added: "Everyone knows what they've done to Luis. They wanted him out of the World Cup. Perfect, they did it."
Meanwhile, Liverpool say they will wait for the official report on the Suarez case before deciding their next move.
This is the third time the player has been banned for biting and he will miss nine Premier League games while he serves his latest suspension.
The Professional Footballers' Association has again offered its services to Suarez after helping him following his 10-match ban for biting Chelsea's Branislav Ivanovic in April 2013.
"This is a human being who is clearly one of the best footballers in the world but he has this trait in his character which is so abnormal that needs looking at," PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor told BBC Sport.
"We thought we'd got him back on track."
It remains to be seen whether Liverpool stick by Suarez, who had been linked with moves to Barcelona and Real Madrid prior to his ban.
Taylor also felt Suarez's punishment would have major ramifications for players who regularly play international football.
"It's going to increase that tension between club and country," he said.
He argued clubs would think twice about allowing their players to feature for their country if they could suffer punishments on international duty that could impact on their involvement in their domestic leagues.