South Africa tour: Wales 'haven't learned from past mistakes'
Second Test: South Africa v Wales
- Venue: Mbombela Stadium, Nelspruit
- Date: Saturday, 21 June
- Kick-off: 14:00 BST
Coverage: Live commentary on BBC Radio Wales, Radio Cymru and the BBC Sport website
Wales captain Alun Wyn Jones admits mistakes again proved costly in the 38-16 first Test defeat by South Africa.
The Springboks ran in five tries in a one-sided display in Durban with Alex Cuthbert scoring a consolation try.
But Jones, 28, believes Wales are still capable of claiming a first Test win on South African soil - the teams meet again on Saturday in Nelspruit.
"We showed that we haven't learned from our past mistakes by giving them freedom and wide open spaces," he said.
"We were lacklustre in possession and we know we can't afford to do that.
"We saw in patches that when we kept the ball, we were a test to the defence, but when they turn it over that easily we are not going to score any points.
"When we had possession, we got turned over pretty quickly. We created four chances in the first half and didn't take any of them."
Head coach Warren Gatland had been confident before the game that Wales had the players to beat the Springboks for the first time on South African soil.
Wales' record against the southern hemisphere's big three since Gatland took charge in 2007 is just one win from 24 games, a victory over Australia in November 2008.
"I don't think there is a lack of belief," Gatland said of Wales' record against the southern hemisphere's big teams.
"We want to play them on every possible occasion because we learn so much and there is a big step up in terms of pace and intensity, and there was a big step up for the guys here.
"They will be a lot better than that for next week because we need to be a lot better than that.
"They bring a lot of pace and physicality and we struggled to cope with that.
"There was nothing about the way South Africa played we did not expect and I am sure we will get more of the same next week."
Jones, captain in the absence of the injured Sam Warburton, said there were plenty of positives to take from the defeat in Durban.
The Ospreys lock said Welsh replacements made their mark in Durban and could now push for a start in Saturday's second Test.
"It's a back-handed positive that we held out in the last 10 but more of a positive was the fact that Matthew Morgan, Gareth Davies and James Hook gave us attacking options when they came on," Jones added.