Sports Personality 2013: 60th BBC awards show on Sunday
Ten sports stars are in contention for the 60th BBC Sports Personality of the Year award on Sunday.
Athletes Mo Farah, Christine Ohuruogu and Hannah Cockroft are on the shortlist along with tennis star Andy Murray and cyclist Chris Froome.
Sports Personality of the Year 2013 shortlist expert panel
- Director of BBC Sport - Barbara Slater (Chair)
- BBC head of TV Sport - Philip Bernie
- Executive editor of BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Carl Doran
- From BBC Radio 5 live - Mark Pougatch (presenter, 5 live Sport)
- Three newspaper sports editors (to be rotated annually) - in 2013, Alison Kervin (Mail on Sunday), Adam Sills (Daily Telegraph), Dominic Hart (Mirror)
- A multi-sport broadcaster/journalist - Sue Barker
- Three former Sports Personality nominees (to be appointed annually) - in 2013, Baroness Grey-Thompson , Dame Kelly Holmes and Marcus Trescothick
- Liz Nicholl, chief executive of UK Sport
Golfer Justin Rose, sailor Sir Ben Ainslie, jockey AP McCoy, cricketer Ian Bell and rugby union player Leigh Halfpenny also make the list.
The public vote for their favourite by phone and online on the night.
Gary Lineker, Clare Balding and Gabby Logan will present the programme, which starts at 19:40 GMT on BBC One, with further coverage on Radio 5 live and the BBC Sport website.
Voting details, including phone numbers for each nominee, are announced during the show, when people can cast their votes online for the first time, provided they are registered and signed in on the BBC website.
In front of an expected 12,000 crowd at the First Direct Arena in Leeds, the latest name to join an illustrious roll of honour will be announced.
With an array of candidates to choose from, an expert panel faced some difficult choices finalising the shortlist.
Ainslie helped mastermind an America's Cup sailing victory, Bell won cricket's Ashes with England, and there were World Championship doubles for athletes Cockroft (wheelchair racing) and Farah (5,000m and 10,000m).
In addition to the main prize, there will also be seven other awards:
- Team of the Year
- Coach of the Year
- Overseas Sports Personality of the Year
- Young Sports Personality of the Year
- Sports Personality of the Year Diamond Award
- Helen Rollason Award
- Sports Unsung Hero
Three former Sports Personality nominees were on an expert panel which decided the shortlist - and the winner will be decided by the public vote on the night.
Baroness Grey-Thompson, Dame Kelly Holmes and Marcus Trescothick were joined by Liz Nicholl, chief executive of UK Sport, and representatives from the BBC and the newspaper industry.
The panel was put together following criticism of an all-male list decided via a different method in 2011.
To see a Vine announcing the 10 nominees for BBC Sports Personality of the Year click here.