BBC Cymru Wales Sports Personality of the Year 2012
- Venue: Millennium Stadium
- Date: Monday, 10 December
Coverage: Awards ceremony show live on BBC Radio Wales; live reports on Radio Cymru & online; announcement on BBC One's Wales Today and S4C's Newyddion.
Voting for this award closed at 18:00 GMT on Saturday, 8 December 2012.
The winner of BBC Cymru Wales Sports Personality of the Year 2012 will be announced on Monday after a public vote between 10 of the country's highest-achieving sportsmen and women.
The award takes place at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff on 10 December, with the result broadcast on BBC Wales radio, online and television that evening.
Other awards to be presented are the Team of the Year, Junior Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year, Lifetime Achievement and
A review of the sporting year will be broadcast on Friday, 21 December on BBC Two Wales at 21:00 GMT and repeated on Boxing Day.
Choosing nominees for Wales Sports Personality is always a difficult task but 2012 proved to be the toughest year yet after a vintage Welsh sporting 12 months.
both claimed their second Olympic gold medals at London 2012 after success four years earlier, while
claimed Great Britain's first gold in taekwondo.
shone in the Paralympics with a gold and two silvers,
Aled Sion Davies
was also a multi-medal winner with gold in the F42 discus and bronze in the F42/44 shot put, while
smashed world records on her way to gold in the F51 discus.
Team sports were also represented by rugby union flanker
the Six Nations player of the tournament as Wales won the Grand Slam, while footballer
sparkled in the shirts of both Wales and Tottenham Hotspur.
became the first woman to win both the Ironman and Half-Ironman women's World Championships in the same year, while completing the list was boxer
who classily saw off two challengers in 2012 to retain his WBO light-heavyweight title.
Please note the event is not connected with the UK Sports Personality of the Year and is for the Wales award only.
VOTING RULES AS RELEASED IN NOVEMBER (PLEASE NOTE THIS VOTE IS NOW CLOSED)
1. Voting will be available by telephone and text message from 0800 GMT on Monday, 3rd December 2012 and 1800 GMT on Saturday, 8th December 2012. The candidates list will be promoted across BBC Wales output from Wednesday 28th November. The numbers to call in order to vote for your candidate will be published on Monday 3rd December 2012. The winner will be announced live on BBC Radio Wales at the BBC Wales Sports Personality of the Year presentation on Monday night, 10 December (approx. time 20:30 GMT). The result will also appear online at the same time.
2. Voting is by telephone and text message only. Please note that you cannot vote by email, red button or via this website. Votes will be capped at 5 votes per caller per voting method.
3. Telephone and text votes will open and close as specified above. Votes received outside the specified times or exceeding the maximum set out above will not be counted, but may still be charged. Voting times may change.
4. The BBC reserves the right to cancel or suspend voting at any time.
5. The vote is open to all residents of the UK, including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. Please note that BBC employees, their close relatives or anyone directly connected in any way with the production of the programme or the provision of fixed line or mobile telephony services to the programme are not eligible to vote.
6. Each phone vote costs 10ppc from a BT landline, other networks may vary. Calls from mobiles will be considerably higher.
This table is provided for indicative purpose only. Information provided by mobile network operators 28/11/2012. For up to date information it is always advisable to check direct with your network operator.
7. Voters must obtain permission from the bill payer before voting. Voters aged 12 or under should obtain parent/guardian consent before voting.
8. If you are viewing the programme through iPlayer or any other time-shifting or catch-up service you should check carefully whether the vote is open before doing so as it may have closed.
9. Make sure you dial carefully only the number or type carefully the short code / keyword combination of the person you wish to vote for.
10. You can vote up to a maximum of 5 times on your telephone or your mobile. The BBC reserves the right to disqualify votes if it has reasonable grounds to suspect that fraudulent voting has occurred or if it considers there has been any deliberate attempt to manipulate the result. The BBC can only guarantee that votes individually entered directly through the telephone numbers or short code / keywords promoted by the programme will count.
11. There are a number of contingencies which could occur. These may include the decision reverting to a back-up panel formed by people from the sports sector, in the event of problems with the phone or text vote or in the event of a tie. Any such use of contingencies will be declared.
12. For the purposes of verifying any claim for refunds (where offered) or investigating possible voting irregularities, the BBC may need to request the network operator to disclose the telephone number that you are voting from.
Please note that this will still be required where you have originally opted not to disclose your telephone number (caller's line identification barring). If you do not agree to this, you should not vote.
13. The BBC, its sub-contractors, subsidiaries and/or agencies cannot accept any responsibility whatsoever for: (i) any technical failure or malfunction or any other problem with any telephone network or line, system, server, provider or otherwise which may result in any vote being lost or not properly registered or recorded; and (ii) any of the nominee withdrawing from the event or refusing to accept the award for any reason.
14. The voting in this programme accords with the BBC's Code of Conduct for Competitions and Voting, details of which can be found on the
BBC's Standards and Guidelines website.