Saturday's gossip column - transfers and rumours

Gossip logo

TRANSFER GOSSIP

Real Madrid have made Arsenal striker Robin van Persie their number one summer target and are prepared to pay £25m to snap up the Dutchman.

Full story: Daily Express

Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero has rubbished rumours he is set for a summer switch to Real Madrid and says he wants to stay with his current club for a "long time".

Full story: the Sun

Tottenham Hotspur have emerged as strong favourites to clinch the signature of Villarreal striker Giuseppe Rossi at the end of the season.

Nathaniel Clyne has made 116 league appearances since making his Crystal Palace debut in 2008
Nathaniel Clyne has made 116 league appearances since making his Crystal Palace debut in 2008

Full story: Talksport

Aston Villa boss Alex McLeish wants £5million-rated Heerenveen and Holland Under-21 star Bas Dost, who is the top scorer in the Dutch League with 22 goals so far this season. But they face competition from Valencia, who see him as a probable replacement for £20m-rated Roberto Soldado.

Full story: Daily Mirror

Manchester City have joined rivals Manchester United in the race to snap up Crystal Palace right-back Nathaniel Clyne.

Full story: Daily Mail

Montpellier defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, a target for Arsenal and Newcastle, has refused to sign a new contract at the Stade de la Mosson and admitted he could leave in the summer.

Full story: insidefutbol

OTHER GOSSIP

Liverpool will open contract talks with their star striker Luis Suarez in the summer, according to managing director Iain Ayre.

Full story: Metro

Manchester United's summer transfer plans could be hampered by the decision by the club's owners, the Glazer family, to delay a partial stock market flotation until the autumn.

Full story: Daily Telegraph

Rivaldo has played for clubs in Brazil, Spain, Italy, Greece, Uzbekistan and Angola
Rivaldo has played for clubs in Brazil, Spain, Italy, Greece, Uzbekistan and Angola

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has revealed Jack Wilshere could make his first-team return in five weeks, meaning the midfielder should be available for England duty at Euro 2012.

Full story: Daily Mirror

Fulham boss Martin Jol admits he is relieved he turned down the chance to become Sir Alex Ferguson's number two at Manchester United eight years ago.

Full story: the Sun

Former France World Cup winner and Real Madrid sporting director Zinedine Zidane says it is only a matter of time before he becomes a coach.

Full story: insidefutbol

AND FINALLY

League One leaders Charlton Athletic have turned down the chance to sign 39-year-old ex-Barcelona and AC Milan midfielder Rivaldo on a free transfer. The Brazil 2002 World Cup winner is currently playing for Angolan side Kabuscorp.

Full story: Daily Mail

Top Stories