Phillips Idowu defends decision to miss World trials
British triple jumper Phillips Idowu has defended his late pull out from the World Athletics trials.
Idowu was expected to compete ahead of next month's World Championships in Daegu but his absence does not affect his inclusion in South Korea.
UK Athletics' selection policy states as defending world champion, he would be automatically selected.
He said: "I've had a tough couple of weeks, trained really hard and I feel I've taken a slight downward spiral."
As one of the leading lights of British athletics, the Olympic silver medallist was a poster boy for the event but he pulled out on Saturday - the day before he was due to compete.
And Idowu told BBC Sport: "I didn't think it was respectful to come here and just do one jump or put in a performance which was below par because people pay their money to watch the best British athletes compete at their best and I'm not at my best right now
"You know when your body is not completely right. I jumped last year with an illness and barely got over 17m.
"I don't think it's worth people paying their money to come and see me do a jump like that.
"I think people will prefer me to go out and jump well in Korea than to come here and jump poorly.
"I'd rather come out in a tracksuit for once and meet the people, sign autographs and stuff like that."
The 32-year-old's decision comes after a public disagreement with head coach Charles van Commenee about Idowu's use of social media website Twitter.
Looking ahead to the defence of his world crown, Idowu added: "I want to go into the championships - especially with Teddy [Tamgho] not competing - and make it a great meet. I'm taking it seriously and looking towards London .
"I don't want to people to think I won the medal by default because one of my major rivals wasn't there.
"It's a massive stepping stone for me and with Teddy out I have to put in a performance that stamps out I was going to win regardless."