Frampton says no approach yet for Martinez bout

Carl Frampton
Carl Frampton won the Commonwealth title in September

Commonwealth super-bantamweight champion Carl Frampton says he has yet to be approached about any proposed contest with European champion Kiko Martinez in Belfast in December.

Reports on Wednesday suggested that the European title bout is back on after their scheduled contest in September had to be postponed.

However, Frampton said he had been surprised by the reports.

"I heard about it on the radio but it was news to me," Frampton told the BBC.

"It would be nice to get the fight but it would also be nice for someone to tell me about it.

"Neither me nor my manager Barry McGuigan have been approached by anyone about a fight on 17 December at the King's Hall.

"It seems that people are trying to make fight without me knowing anything about it. It's just not very professional.

"I'm the Commonwealth champion and now have a bit of clout. We don't have to listen to peoples' demands and fight them on their terms. We have a bit say in things now."

Media playback is not supported on this device

Martinez reports 'surprise' Frampton

Frampton did make clear that he would be happy to fight Martinez - subject to satisfactory terms - and insisted that he would defeat the Spaniard.

"He doesn't sell many tickets in Spain and his manager is Irish.

"They want him to come over here to box a fighter who does sell tickets and to make some money.

"If it does happen, it will be the last time he wants to come back to Belfast."

Frampton was scheduled to face Martinez at the Odyssey Arena in September but the Spaniard pulled out of the bout because a family illness.

Instead, Frampton beat Australian Mark Quon in four rounds to land the vacant Commonwealth title.

Frampton has won his opening 11 professional bouts.

Martinez's record includes a stunning first-round knockout of Bernard Dunne in August 2007.

The Spaniard is in his third stint as European champion.

Top Stories