Carl Froch 'running scared' of James DeGale, says Mendy

Carl Froch and James DeGale
DeGale (right) is the mandatory challenger for Froch's IBF super-middleweight world title
5 live Boxing
Thursday 16 October, 21:00-22:00 BST, BBC Radio 5 live

Carl Froch is "running scared" of James DeGale and will retire instead of defending his world title against him, according to DeGale's advisor.

If Froch gives up his IBF super-middleweight crown, DeGale expects to fight Mexico's Gilberto Ramirez Sanchez for the vacant title on 31 January.

But first, the former Olympic champion must beat Mexico's Marco Antonio Periban in Liverpool on 22 November.

"Carl Froch is out of the picture, he's had his day," said Ambrose Mendy.

"He can't find enough reasons to fight James DeGale and yet there's an obvious one - he's the mandatory challenger [for Froch's IBF title].

"Just like Carl Froch was [a mandatory challenger] to the great Joe Calzaghe.

"Now he's saying he wants to go to Las Vegas and fight Julio Cesar Chavez. That's not happening. Chavez has got contractual problems with Top Rank - there is no possibility they can fight.

"The O2 arena in London is booked for 31 January. James will be in that ring. Will Carl Froch? That's the question we've all got to ask ourselves."

Mendy, who guided Nigel Benn to the WBO middleweight title in 1990, added that he expects DeGale, 28, to fight George Groves for a second time next June.

Groves outpointed DeGale when they fought in 2011 but has since been beaten twice by Froch.

However, Groves, 26, beat Christopher Rebrasse last month to secure the European super-middleweight title and is now the mandatory challenger for Anthony Dirrell's WBC belt.

The 23-year-old Sanchez is unbeaten in 29 professional fights, including 23 knockouts, and next fights Colombia's Fulgencio Zuniga on 15 November.

Click here to download the latest 5 live Boxing podcast.

Top Stories