Michael Conlan 'more relaxed' for second professional fight in Chicago

Michael Conlan has Tim Ibarra on the defensive in an excellent debut performance in New York
Michael Conlan won on his professional debut in New York in March

Michael Conlan says he is feeling "relaxed, very confident and very focused" before his second professional fight in Chicago on Friday night.

The Belfast super-bantamweight will take on Mexican Alfredo Chanez at the 9,500-capacity UIC Pavilion.

"I didn't think my first fight was the best performance but given the magnitude of the event and the occasion it was understandable," said Conlan.

"This time I'll be able to show what I've really got."

The 25-year-old stopped Tim Ibarra inside three rounds on his professional debut at Madison Square Garden on St Patrick's Day.

Conlan's opponent on Friday has won four and lost four of his professional outings so far, but has not been knocked out.

"I'm focused on what I have to do and now I just have to go and perform," added the former world amateur champion and Olympic bronze medallist.

"The Irish people in Chicago have been unbelievable and have turned out for the media workouts in their numbers. I've been made very welcome and I'm grateful for that."

Conlan added that it would be "very special" to be part of the undercard of Manny Pacquiao's world title fight in Australia on 2 July if he defeats Chanez.

Pacquiao will defend his WBO welterweight title against Australia's Jeff Horn in Brisbane.

Conlan hopes to fight in Belfast in December as he continues his progression through the professional ranks.

Top Stories