Ashes 2015: Mitchell Starc winning Lord's fitness battle, says Clarke
|England v Australia, Second Test|
|Venue: Lord's Dates: 16-20 July|
|Coverage: Ball-by-ball Test Match Special commentary on BBC Radio 5 live sports extra, Radio 4 LW, online, tablets, mobiles and BBC Sport app. Live text commentary on the BBC Sport website.|
Mitchell Starc is winning his battle to be fit for the second Ashes Test at Lord's, says Australia captain Michael Clarke.
Starc took pain-killing injections for an ankle injury during last week's first-Test in Cardiff.
The 25-year-old took seven wickets and batted for an hour in the fourth innings of the 169-run loss to England.
And Clarke says Starc has reacted "positively" to treatment ahead of the start of the second Test on Thursday.
"Spending a bit of time with the Australian physio, he's confident that, although it's a short turnaround before the second test, there's been a lot of positives that have come out of the last couple of days since he was cortisoned, and things are going really well there," Clarke told Melbourne radio station Triple M.
"Starcy obviously had some ankle pain and had an injection to bowl in the second innings, but the positive again was the fact he was able to bowl and do what was needed for the team.
"He batted as well in the second innings and ran between the wickets fine.
Should Starc, who was named player of the tournament at this year's World Cup, fail to prove his fitness, Australia have Peter Siddle or Pat Cummins in reserve.
Australia have already suffered one significant bowling injury during this tour, with Ryan Harris withdrawing and subsequently retiring from the game because of a knee problem.
England have named an unchanged 13-man squad for Lord's.