Tour of Britain: Ian Stannard wins stage three after breakaway ride
Britain's Ian Stannard won stage three of the Tour of Britain with a brilliant breakaway ride.
The Team Sky man, 29, pulled away from the other riders in the leading group with 40 kilometres to go.
Stannard finished almost two minutes clear of Graham Briggs of JLT-Condor and ONE Pro Cycling's Kristian House.
The stage had been expected to end in a bunched sprint, but the main peloton, which included Mark Cavendish, finished more than six minutes behind.
Belgium's Julien Vermote, the winner of Monday's second stage, retained the overall lead, six seconds ahead of Britain's Stephen Cummings.
Stannard, who was part of a small breakaway soon after the start of the stage, said: "I train on these roads every day, since I was 18, so I really enjoyed it today and was giving it some down the descents.
"Cheshire East pulled out all the stops and got an amazing crowd out. Every town, every hill, there was massive crowds. It was great to see."
Stage three result:
1. Ian Stannard (GB/Team Sky) 4hrs 14mins 12secs
2. Graham Briggs (GB/JLT-Condor) +1min 46secs
3. Kristian House (GB/ONE Pro Cycling) same time
4. Nicola Ruffoni (Ita/Bardiani-CSF) +5min 43secs
5. Danny van Poppel (NED/Team Sky) same time
6. Ramon Sinkeldam (NED/Team Giant-Alpecin)
7. Christopher Latham (GB/Team Wiggins)
8. Rick Zabel (GER/BMC Racing Team)
9. Dylan van Barrle (NED/UCI ProTeam Cannondale-Drapac)
10. Luka Mezgec (SVK/Orica-BikeExchange)
General classification after stage three:
1. Julien Vermote (Bel/Etixx Quick-Step) 12hrs 35mins 15secs
2. Stephen Cummings (GB/Dimension Data) +06secs
3. Daniel Martin (Ire/Etixx Quick-Step) +1min 04secs
4. Ben Swift (GB/Team Sky) +1min 08secs
5. Xandro Meurisse (Bel/Wanty-Groupe Gobert) same time
6. Tony Gallopin (Fra/Lotto Soudal)
7. Dylan van Baarle (Ned/Cannondale Drapac) +1min 12secs
8. Guillaume Martin (Fra/Wanty-Groupe Gobert) same time
9. Tom Dumoulin (Ned/Team Giant-Alpecin)
10. Nicholas Roche (Ire/Team Sky) +1min 16secs