Stoke City relish Europa League test - Jon Walters

Stoke City striker Jon Walters
Jon Walters signed a one-year contract extension at Stoke on Friday

Striker Jon Walters is confident Stoke can cope with the demands of competing in Europe this season.

The came less than 72 hours after a 1-0 first-leg win against FC Thun in the final qualifying round of the Europa League.

"It's non-stop but it's enjoyable because you want to play games," the 27-year-old told BBC Radio Stoke.

"It's all about recovery and playing games. You'd rather do that so you've just got to deal with it."

Tony Pulis's side have played five competitive matches so far this season and travelled to Croatia and Switzerland for Europa League ties.

If they come through the tie against FC Thun, Stoke face the prospect of six additional matches in the group stages before the turn of the year.

The Potters maintained their unbeaten start to the season at Carrow Road courtesy of a stoppage-time header from Kenwyne Jones, having gone behind to a goal from ex-Stoke defender Ritchie De Laet, and Walters admitted it took time for the FA Cup finalists to get themselves into the game.

"There wasn't much air in the stadium and it was just as hot as being away in the European games," said the Republic of Ireland international.

"We battled through the first half and in the second half we got our second wind and got much better."

Walters saw his spot-kick saved by Norwich goalkeeper John Ruddy with the score at 1-0 to the Canaries, but insisted he will continue to make himself available to take penalties.

"It was a poor penalty kick and a good save from the keeper, but hopefully if we get another one I'll try and get it again," he said.

"It's a chance to get a goal. Unfortunately today it didn't happen but if it comes along again I'll be the first one to put my hand up to try and get it."

Top Stories