Thomas and Horne back Wrexham fans takeover
Wrexham legends Mickey Thomas and Barry Horne believe the club can finally move forward after the Wrexham Supporters' Trust voted to buy the troubled club.
More than 400 fans attended a special WST general meeting on Wednesday and agreed to accept the board's plans.
The WST board will now conclude its negotiations with current club owners Ian Roberts and Geoff Moss and submit its plans to the football authorities.
"The Supporters' Trust is the heart of the club," said former winger Thomas.
"This is what they wanted and now they must get the financial side of it correct.
"I think it is a good news for Wrexham. It will be difficult as money will be tight. But I'm really excited about this."
A standing ovation greeted the announcement of the unanimous vote at the end of a two hour meeting at the town's Glyndwr University.
Wrexham's Supporters Trust hope the process will be completed within a few weeks in a deal that could bring an end to speculation over Wrexham's future.
"The fans are incredibly loyal and they will get fans through the gate," said former Wrexham and Wales star Horne.
"There are a number of clubs who are run by fans in the lower leagues and they all do well.
"I'm really excited for Wrexham after what has been a particularly long and difficult period."
Glyndwr University recently bought the Blue Square Bet Premier club's Racecourse ground and Colliers Park training facilities.
WST Members were been balloted over the buyout plans prior to Wednesday's meeting and by backing the proposal, it provides a huge step towards completing the deal.
WST had already warned that "tough decisions" will have to be made if any takeover is successful.
The trust is working on the basis that average attendances this season will be just more than 3,000, and is not expecting additional income from cup games.
Net losses are forecast to be approaching £500,000.
Earlier this month, Wrexham fans helped raise more than £100,000 in a day towards a £250,000 bond which had to be paid to the Football Conference to ensure the club could compete in the 2011-2012 season.