Southend United 'debate' Bilel Mohsni action

Bilel Mohsni
Mohsni was a free signing for Southend in July last year

Southend United boss Paul Sturrock says he has a decision to make regarding the future of defender Bilel Mohsni.

Sturrock was furious with the 24-year-old following his sending off in Tuesday's 1-0 FA Cup second round replay loss at Oldham.

On the Tunisian's future Sturrock told BBC Essex: "That's something I'll have to debate with the powers that be.

"At this minute in time I'm more happy because of my players who gave everything tonight."

Mohsni, who has proved an influential presence for the Shrimpers with five goals this term, received his marching orders less than 40 minutes into the game at Boundary Park following two yellow-card offences.

It was his second sending off of the season, on top of nine bookings, and comes after he was disciplined in August for his part in a 'fracas' at the club.

Sturrock believes his indiscipline cost his side a trip to Liverpool in the third round.

"Going down to 10 men has turned the game totally on its head," he said.

"I must apologise to all the Southend fans. The situation with Bilel has been ongoing for a long time now.

"I've tried to benefit the football club with his ability to the detriment of us going out of the Cup.

Mohsni was a 'walking foul' - Sturrock

"I feel I've let everybody down. I know there's a footballer in there. But too many times he's gone to the well and let us down. And it costs us a lot of money."

Mohsni's performance aside, Sturrock was buoyed by the committed display of his team, who are now without a win in five games.

"I'm delighted," he said. "Every one of the players gave everything they had. When they went down to 10 men they worked their tails off as well.

"The first half of the game was us playing as well as we have been."

Top Stories