Arsene Wenger denies approach for Wayne Bridge

Media playback is not supported on this device

Wenger may sign new full-back

Arsenal have not enquired about the possibility of signing Wayne Bridge or any other left-backs.

Kieran Gibbs is out for another month, while fellow defenders Bacary Sagna, Carl Jenkinson, Andre Santos and Johan Djourou are also missing.

But Gunners boss Arsene Wenger dismissed suggestions he might move for Manchester City's Bridge.

"I haven't made any enquiry at all," he said. "For the moment, there's no Wayne Bridge on the table or anyone else."

Gibbs was close to returning from a hernia problem but has now undergone surgery.

"It was a blow, but first what is important is if he cannot play you have to make the decision that we had to make yesterday and have surgery for him," said Wenger.

"Hopefully it will only be one month because Santos will not come back before March."

The loss of Gibbs prompted suggestions Wenger would move for Bridge, who has made just one appearance for City this season.

The 31-year-old cost City a reported £10m when he joined from Chelsea in January 2009 but has made just 40 league starts for the club and spent the end of last season on loan at West Ham.

Earlier this week, City manager Roberto Mancini said he hoped Bridge would be able to leave the club in January.

Arsenal announced last week that Santos had been ruled out of action for three months with ankle ligament damage, while Swiss centre-back Djourou was forced off during the 1-0 defeat at Manchester City on Sunday with a groin injury.

The Gunners played four central defenders across the back line at the Etihad Stadium, with Spanish youngster Ignasi Miquel replacing Djourou following his withdrawal.

The 19-year-old Miguel will be expected to continue to cover in the absence of the first-choice defenders.

Fellow full-backs Jenkinson and Sagna are already out injured.

Jenkinson is out with a stress fracture to his back, while Sagna, who has begun light training again, broke his leg in a defeat by Tottenham in October.

"He is a long way ahead of schedule," said Wenger of Sagna. "I saw him still limping a little bit so we have to be careful but physically he will be ready very quickly because he worked very hard in the gym.

"We think the end of January is a reasonable target for him."

For the latest updates and reaction to this story, read Sportsday Live. Have your say on Twitter via the hashtag #bbcsportsday.

Top Stories