Joey Barton to miss three games as red appeal rejected
QPR midfielder Joey Barton's appeal against his red card for violent conduct in Monday's has been rejected.
The Rangers captain was dismissed following an off-the-ball incident with Bradley Johnson in the 36th minute.
A Football Association statement confirmed he "will serve a three-match suspension with immediate effect".
Both Barton and his manager Neil Warnock said the officials had been "conned" into sending him off.
It was the 29-year-old's fifth red card of his career, but his first since joining QPR last August.
Barton, who had given Rangers an 11th-minute lead, said the officials told him at half-time that they "never saw" the incident with Johnson.
The midfielder went on to criticise both Johnson and the referee on Twitter. Barton returned to Twitter on Wednesday, to openly criticise the FA panel who made the decision to suspend him.
"No doubt they will try to charge me further now but how can that be a yellow and 2 weeks later mine be a red and 3 games? I am baffled?," he said.
"I'd be really interested to see who this "expert panel" really consists of? Wonder if we can find out?
"Devastated to miss return to SJP and FA cup tie but life goes on. Feel sympathy for those who have never played yet set the rules......."