Cairo giants Al Ahly return to training after tragedy

Al-Ahly players flee the pitch at the end of the game against al-Masry
More than 70 people were killed in the violence following Wednesday's match

Egyptian club Al Ahly have returned to training for the first time since 74 spectators were killed, after a game in Port Said earlier this month.

The squad held a minute's silence in memory of those who died and coach Manuel Jose wore a black armband.

Football in Egypt has been suspended since the tragedy but clubs are likely to play in continental competition.

Some players were unable to train because they were giving statements to police, Al Ahly's website said.

The deaths on 1 February prompted a number of players, including Mohamed Barakat and Mohamed Aboutrika, to announce their retirements.

The players had to flee for their lives when the pitch was invaded and they sheltered a number of fans in the dressing room.

It is not clear if Barakat and the others have gone back on their decision to quit.

Ahly are scheduled to play an African Champions League tie in March and April.

Their city rivals Zamalek played away from home in the preliminary round of the competition recently, but their coach admitted he did not know if they would be allowed to play the second leg at home.

Top Stories