Fernando Torres ready to fight for his place at Chelsea

Chelsea striker Fernando Torres
Fernando Torres is ready to fight for his place at Chelsea

Fernando Torres says Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has convinced him to stay at the club.

The striker, 28, recently threatened to quit the Blues, disappointed with the way he had been treated last season.

But after speaking with Abramovich, Torres is convinced his future is in west London.

"I had a conversation with [Abramovich] and he trusts me. His confidence is total and that is what I needed to keep fighting," he said.

Torres made a £50m switch from Liverpool to Stamford Bridge 18 months ago but largely found it difficult to usurp Didier Drogba in the starting 11.

However, Drogba will leave Chelsea this summer, and the Ivory Coast striker last week backed Torres to shine next season.

But Torres' immediate focus will be on Euro 2012, after being named in the Spain squad for Poland and Ukraine by coach Vicente del Bosque on Sunday.

"Vicente has put his faith in me and now I need to show him I am ready to play whenever he thinks it necessary," said Torres. "I hope to be able to give the team the best of me.

"I have arrived feeling fresh because I haven't had the same physical burden as the others and I am in good shape.

"I would have liked to have played more for my club but the important thing is that everything works out in the end."

Top Stories